2000 transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 transmission

aha! Makes sense
I only work on Explorer 5.0l's so I wouldn't know anything about the pre 96 units

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aha! Makes sense
I only work on Explorer 5.0l's so I wouldn't know anything about the pre 96 units

Pre-96 units might also be AODE's, like from the Mustang and big Fords.

Might you have any lower mileage AODE transmissions? I've got strong plans to build two 4R's with the AODE gear set(close ratio). One for my Lincoln, and later one for my mail truck. I have two sets of guts I just got, but it looks like they sent me 4R guts. So might still need to hunt one or two more.

The gear set(1st and 2nd gear) is made up of four specific parts, the planetary, sun gear, sun shell, and the ring gear. Those all have gears which mesh together, so they have to be swapped as a group.

I also just bought the new Sonnax direct drum kit, which replaces the OEM drum and stub shaft as one part. It's much stronger and comes with a special sun gear(4R) to match it. That kit adds about $300 to a performance build. The later AODE sun gear will go over their special drum/shaft, but the stock 4R sun gears won't. Sonnax says they will make a sun gear for the AODE, which tells me that there must be a market for the close ratio parts, for drag racing. I didn't know that, I was very surprised to learn that.

4R70W first in the 93 MKVIII ( I hv a 95, 96, 97, 98 for some weirdo reason) - Check TCCOA.com, great section about AODE's & 4r70w's & Gear sets - Even some guys that have fit recent 4r75w's to old cars like ours are there - There's a 4r70e too right ? - & Yes Sonnax.com is awesome~!

4R70W first in the 93 MKVIII ( I hv a 95, 96, 97, 98 for some weirdo reason) - Check TCCOA.com, great section about AODE's & 4r70w's & Gear sets - Even some guys that have fit recent 4r75w's to old cars like ours are there - There's a 4r70e too right ? - & Yes Sonnax.com is awesome~!

Yeah, the wide ratio began when Ford decided the modular engines needed more lower gearing. I wanted lower gearing back in 1988 when I got my first LSC. So there weren't that many AODE's, they upgraded to electrical solenoids and put in the wider OD band, then the 4.6's came out. So from 92-95 I think most of the OHV V8's got the AODE, the Mustang not until 1994. That's all I got from very little reading of the AODE.

I was doing just the AOD until I bought my first 95 CV in 1998, and the trans went out a month later. I have a built AOD from my first LSC SE, a 91 that I put the HD TransGo kit in. That was a great VB kit, but I never got to use the AOD after I built it, I never had another LSC that needed a trans.

So I need to take this one apart and revamp it for better resale, as a mild AOD. This one shifted at 5600rpm, and I built it with the one piece input shaft, a wider OD reverse drum(new), four clutch 2nd gear plate, and raised the shifting more by an unknown amount. It needs a more normal modulator valve to bring the shifting down, and pull out the one piece input shaft. I've got spare 4R parts, so I could do it sooner and remove the AODE sun shell(brand new), and swap in the wider ratio gear set.

This forum is pretty F'in awesome!

@410Fortune , I wish I lived near you! I'd hire you to convert my 5.0 RWD to 4x4!

Oh yeah 4x4 conversion!!!! Right up my alley...........North Idaho is not thaaaaat far

@410Fortune , I wish I lived near you! I'd hire you to convert my 5.0 RWD to 4x4!

Your friend/mechanic could do the front drive parts in one afternoon, the diff, plus spindles and axles. The trans would be a typical big job, and the transfer case is heavy but not that hard to install on the 4WD transmission. If you got a reason to need a rebuilt trans, then the extra cost to make it 4WD isn't much.

Plus your posting to the man(410Fortune) to help with a BW4404 TC, the AWD.

Oh yeah 4x4 conversion!!!! Right up my alley...........North Idaho is not thaaaaat far

Speaking of that, I meant to ask before if you have a spare AWD TC. I have to build my bad one sometime soon, and I'll be making my 99 a 302/AWD later on. So I should hunt a decent condition 98-01 TC now, might you have one?

I wish it wasn't that far! Seriously, I'd make a long weekend of it or something if I was closer and you were game!

Mines 100% the 1996 with the 5.0 engine awd. So this means I can just switch the wiring ? I can get the ecu number of needed ?

I have the 2000 transfer case of you want free just pay to ship to you. Looks like I can't use it.

Mines 100% the 1996 with the 5.0 engine awd. So this means I can just switch the wiring ? I can get the ecu number of needed ?

Yes - U can do the re-pin of Main Connector OR swap all ur Solenoids & Wire Harness & main Connector into the 2000 - Sorry about being wrong about the 96 TCC.

Yes - U can do the re-pin of Main Connector OR swap all ur Solenoids & Wire Harness & main Connector into the 2000 - Sorry about being wrong about the 96 TCC.

Oh no worries at all. We are all here to learn and help each other.

@410Fortune posted excellent instructions and charts etc. Follow those and it will be no problem to use the 2000 transmission. You just have to rewire the connector, and install a new 1996 DTRS/MLPS(range sensor). Inside the pan you could also improve the trans with new solenoids etc, given the age.

The AWD transfer case you could use if you take both apart as he said, and use the back section of yours which has the VSS in it.

How many miles are on that AWD, and where is Hamilton? Those are heavy and take a large plastic tub to pack them into well. I shipped one years ago, a PITA to stuff enough firm cardboard around it in the tub.

@410Fortune posted excellent instructions and charts etc. Follow those and it will be no problem to use the 2000 transmission. You just have to rewire the connector, and install a new 1996 DTRS/MLPS(range sensor). Inside the pan you could also improve the trans with new solenoids etc, given the age.

The AWD transfer case you could use if you take both apart as he said, and use the back section of yours which has the VSS in it.

How many miles are on that AWD, and where is Hamilton? Those are heavy and take a large plastic tub to pack them into well. I shipped one years ago, a PITA to stuff enough firm cardboard around it in the tub.[/QUOTE

It has 210 000 kms not sure what that is in miles I am in Ontario Canada Hamilton is the city.

210,000km is about 130,000 miles.

km times 6 +2 is the short math for figuring out speeds below 100, like say 100kph is about 62 or so mph, 80kph is about 50mph.

I have the 2000 transfer case of you want free just pay to ship to you. Looks like I can't use it.
That's an awfully tempting offer! I'm not quite ready yet. :( I need to feel out the wife on a couple of other projects first! :D

you will need to find both 96 and 2000 wire pin out diagrams. then all you do is match the 2000 connector pins to the 96 pins
Can u do the reverse of this, I have a 2000 and wanna put a 96 transmission in to get back on the road ford now

Yes it can be done, quite easily in fact.

If it was my truck and I HAD to install a 96 4r70w in place of the 2000 4r70w here is how it would go:

1. The solenoids and wiring harness inside the transmission will need to be swapped from the 2000 into the 96
the 98+ 4r70w uses a completely different internal wiring harness, easy enough to install the solenoids and wiring harness from the 00 trans into the 96. The 98-2000 wires going into the transmission have two less pins then the 96-97 models. So you must use the 98-2000 transmission big white through plug and internal solenoid wiring harness

2. Then you will need the DTRS (range sensor) from the 2000 trans installed on the 96. The 96 range sensor sends analog signals to the PCM, the 98+ uses actual digital signals, so you must use the 2000 DTRS on your 96 trans
Then the 96 trans will work yes.

Not the best solution but it will work
The 98-2000 4r70w has many internal upgrades vs the 96 version, however they are both TOUGH!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it can be done, quite easily in fact.

If it was my truck and I HAD to install a 96 4r70w in place of the 2000 4r70w here is how it would go:

1. The solenoids and wiring harness inside the transmission will need to be swapped from the 2000 into the 96
the 98+ 4r70w uses a completely different internal wiring harness, easy enough to install the solenoids and wiring harness from the 00 trans into the 96. The 98-2000 wires going into the transmission have two less pins then the 96-97 models. So you must use the 98-2000 transmission big white through plug and internal solenoid wiring harness

2. Then you will need the DTRS (range sensor) from the 2000 trans installed on the 96. The 96 range sensor sends analog signals to the PCM, the 98+ uses actual digital signals, so you must use the 2000 DTRS on your 96 trans
Then the 96 trans will work yes.

Not the best solution but it will work
The 98-2000 4r70w has many internal upgrades vs the 96 version, however they are both TOUGH!
I'm not entirely sure if the 2000's solenoids were good I was hoping I could just repin the plug and split the single power to three

Back