Recommendations on how to sell

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Ok guys.. looking for suggestions on how to sell. I know Craig's list charges $5 for 30 days now. Yes typically will get a lot of people overseas willing to pay $5,000 more then asking price and will send a carrier to come pick it up lol.

But in all seriousness, we are putting our 2011 up for sale. Fortunately we have a 3rd vehicle so we can afford to not have it while we wait for our 2020. Being 143,000 miles, dealers don't want it unless they send it to auction or wholesale.

Pros - PTU, EPAS, water pump, timing chain, spark plugs, trans fluid, coolant are all new. Front control arms, ball joints, tie rods and end links all replaced. All repairs done in the last 10k. ESP still has 11 months or 12k left.

Cons - Rear tires need to be replaced, at the wear bars and rims have the known corrosion on them. Damn rear camera just started glitching on us the past week +.

Besides that, Excellent shape (no dents, dings, non smoker, no accidents).

Went to Carmax, they came back with $7k LMAO.

Went to NADA and did an instant cash, they came back at $8,900 (not quite LMAO but more LOL).

KBB and NADA say clean retail is about $13,500-$13,900.

Frankly I just want to get rid of it but not give it away.. I'm thinking of advertising it for $11,900 and staying pretty firm on the price.

My wife did put it on FB in the Yard Sale section for our area.

Looking for other ideas.. would really like to get rid of it sooner rather than later. Ideally whoever buys it should be set for quite a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last 2 cars I sold were from people texting and driving.

Sold my 2011 xlt on CL for $12500 with newer tires and 100k one month ago. Drove and looked like new. I started at 13k.

I honestly don’t think all the work done recently on yours will affect the sales price much. If anything as a buyer it may make people more nervous, like what’s going to go next. Maybe the esp will help sell it. I’d start $12500 and keep room to drop price as everyone expects a deal. Craigslist if u can stomach it. Auto trader or social media. Be patent. Mine sold in 10 days. But I had some cars take 6 weeks.

Sold my 2011 xlt on CL for $12500 with newer tires and 100k one month ago. Drove and looked like new. I started at 13k.

I honestly don’t think all the work done recently on yours will affect the sales price much. If anything as a buyer it may make people more nervous, like what’s going to go next. Maybe the esp will help sell it. I’d start $12500 and keep room to drop price as everyone expects a deal. Craigslist if u can stomach it. Auto trader or social media. Be patent. Mine sold in 10 days. But I had some cars take 6 weeks.

Interesting to see other thoughts. I was going on the view of many of the wear items have just been replaced so buying it kind of insures there won't me much one could have to dump in unexpectedly. Except for PTU and EPAS, everything is a wear/maintenance item.

I sold my Audi when I had it on CL very quickly but this was 8 years ago. Guess I'll give that one a try for the $5.

I think some may appreciate the recent big ticket items, just depends on the buyer. The person buying mine was more concerned on looks/condition and did not even ask what work was done to it.

I would buy a generic car that had been well maintained, parts fixed but it might scare some. My dad back in the day was going to sell a car and the trans died. Replaced it under warranty. Guy got cold feet.... it happens.

I paid the $5 and put my 2013 Limited on CL about 2 weeks ago, no bites yet, just questionable emails, but not calls or texts. I have always had good luck on CL in the past though. I would also recommend Facebook Marketplace. I have heard a lot of people are on there selling and buying. Good luck.

Kbb and nada retail values are not worth the paper they are printed on.

I sell a lot on CL and do 1 or 2 vehicles a year. It's no different selling a vehicle than selling a toaster. Make sure it works, looks good and is gtg. Most buyers, especially vehicles over 10k, are not going to want to buy a vehicle they have to spend more money on, like tires. I would suggest replacing all 4 tires as that is one thing I have found helps sell vehicles. I always go out and get the cheapest set of new tires I can for vehicles I am selling, clean the vehicle and so on, so when buyers are shopping around, they will find mine the easiest and best option.

I also shop cl for vehicles and it is surprising how many vehicles have issues and 'just needs this, that, or the other thing' to be gtg. Most buyers don't want to deal with stuff like that, especially on vehicles they may have to get a loan for.

It wouldn't hurt to call around to a couple local banks or cu's to see what they will write a loan for on your vehicle. If no one will or it may be difficult, you may have a limited market. The sweet spot for quick cash sales that I have found is 2-6k. Once you start getting to the 8-10k+ range and up, you really need to have something compelling, and a high mileage everyman vehicle unfortunately will almost always fall back to competing on price.

Every market is different, so it wouldn't hurt to check out comps. If there are a lot of other 100k+ mile explorers in your area for say 10k, you may not get what you want from yours or it may take a long while to sell. It doesn't hurt to check auction values also. High mileage vehicles don't tend to do real well at auction, so dealers can usually get them pretty cheap and turn them cheap while still making enough margin.

Also, keep in mind that some/many buyers don't care for vehicles that have had a lot of major work done and it doesn't always add value. A vehicle needs things like an engine and transmission to work, so a new/rebuilt engine or trans doesn't really add value. For some/many, it actually reduces value.

If you are going to tout accident free, make sure you have a carfax. If you don't want to pay for one, sign up for eBay and list the car for sale (you get 6 free vehicle listings per year) and print out the limited/free Carfax report they provide, then cancel the listing.

Good luck. Everything is a crapshoot, you may get lucky or you may not.

ETA: I am in metro Detroit where there are lots and lots and lots of explorers. On average, 1 or 2 owner 2011 xlt and limiteds with 100-150k miles can be found at retail for $8-11k with the occasional private seller asking another $3-4k above what dealers are asking.

Kbb and nada retail values are not worth the paper they are printed on.

I sell a lot on CL and do 1 or 2 vehicles a year. It's no different selling a vehicle than selling a toaster. Make sure it works, looks good and is gtg. Most buyers, especially vehicles over 10k, are not going to want to buy a vehicle they have to spend more money on, like tires. I would suggest replacing all 4 tires as that is one thing I have found helps sell vehicles. I always go out and get the cheapest set of new tires I can for vehicles I am selling, clean the vehicle and so on, so when buyers are shopping around, they will find mine the easiest and best option.

I also shop cl for vehicles and it is surprising how many vehicles have issues and 'just needs this, that, or the other thing' to be gtg. Most buyers don't want to deal with stuff like that, especially on vehicles they may have to get a loan for.

It wouldn't hurt to call around to a couple local banks or cu's to see what they will write a loan for on your vehicle. If no one will or it may be difficult, you may have a limited market. The sweet spot for quick cash sales that I have found is 2-6k. Once you start getting to the 8-10k+ range and up, you really need to have something compelling, and a high mileage everyman vehicle unfortunately will almost always fall back to competing on price.

Every market is different, so it wouldn't hurt to check out comps. If there are a lot of other 100k+ mile explorers in your area for say 10k, you may not get what you want from yours or it may take a long while to sell. It doesn't hurt to check auction values also. High mileage vehicles don't tend to do real well at auction, so dealers can usually get them pretty cheap and turn them cheap while still making enough margin.

Also, keep in mind that some/many buyers don't care for vehicles that have had a lot of major work done and it doesn't always add value. A vehicle needs things like an engine and transmission to work, so a new/rebuilt engine or trans doesn't really add value. For some/many, it actually reduces value.

If you are going to tout accident free, make sure you have a carfax. If you don't want to pay for one, sign up for eBay and list the car for sale (you get 6 free vehicle listings per year) and print out the limited/free Carfax report they provide, then cancel the listing.

Good luck. Everything is a crapshoot, you may get lucky or you may not.

ETA: I am in metro Detroit where there are lots and lots and lots of explorers. On average, 1 or 2 owner 2011 xlt and limiteds with 100-150k miles can be found at retail for $8-11k with the occasional private seller asking another $3-4k above what dealers are asking.

Thanks for the insight... the Ex is definitely in immaculate condition inside. The husky mats have really protected it. I dont think anyone would guess there is a 143k on this based on the inside.

Coworker, family member or friend.
I sold mine very easily to a coworker, as he knew the entire history of the vehicle and that I take great care of my vehicles.
Despite the setbacks that were all taken care of under warranty, it was an easy sell based on the fact that the vehicle was in superb condition as yours appears to be also.

Well it was sold yesterday. With it needing $700 in tires and now at 145k, settled on $11k.

Backup camera quit a few weeks ago so replaced that. Door panel arm rest started to split in the usual place about 1 week ago. Was able to buy a certain glue and glue it which is holding very well.. cant even tell.

Anyways, it is gone, no more worries about future repairs and bring on the 2020.

Congrats. Did buyer care about the major repairs done recently. Did it help sell it you think?

Regards

To an educated buyer there may be some value added with the PTU, EPAS, water pump, timing chain, spark plugs, trans fluid and coolant being replaced, but for the most part I completely agree KayGee's statement above that there is very little if any value added and for some it reduces value. Hence the reason if the water pump fails causing catastrophic damage to the engine, I don't think the owner would get back the $7k plus for replacing the engine when selling the Explorer. Even with a new engine in an older Explorer the actual sales value would be minimally effected, if at all IMO.

Congrats on the sale, my 07 XLT is great running vehicle, but for what they offer now, I decided to keep it and have more fun as a camping getaway car. Explorers are greatly underpriced imo

Congrats on the sale, my 07 XLT is great running vehicle, but for what they offer now, I decided to keep it and have more fun as a camping getaway car. Explorers are greatly underpriced imo
Welcome to the Forum Frank.:wave:
I noticed that in your post in the New Members Introduction subforum you indicated you had a 2008 XLT. Slip of the fingers I guess.:)

Peter

Ya, I really dont know if it helped or hurt. Took almost a month to sell but once contacted and test drove, they took it the next day.

Either way, I am happy.. hopefully they get several years out of it trouble free.

Was there any ESP left on it that the buyer could take over?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, expires April next year.. had a little over 10,000 miles remaining.

Back