• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor Clutch

Zvolen

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I have an 06 V6 explorer where the A/C is not working, when I take a look the clutch is not engaging if I fiddle with it a bit it will sometimes engage and work for a few days then will intermittently stop working again. Is there any way I can diagnose the problem or replace the clutch without a whole system take down?

I have checked the pressure and it is fine on both high and low side, any ideas? Thanks as always.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can replace just the clutch or the magnet. I’d check for a wire issue.

As mentioned by @Number4 .

Check for broken wires at the connector first.

If you change out the clutch assembly you have to discharge the system.

Driven side of the clutch assembly passes through the front compressor seal.

Thank you both for the replies. I did check the connection and on the surface didn't see anything broken but it doesn't clip on. I may replace that just given its simple -- anyone know where I can get a new connection. I assume its as simple as connecting the wires to the new clip/connection?

Damn, sounds like there is no way to repair without discharging the system which was my hope. Any suggestions on how I can diagnose the issue any further to narrow down the issue? If it is just the clutch I would hate to replace the whole system but maybe at that point it would be worth it to do. Thanks

You should be able to get just the connector end from Rock Auto or Auto Zone.

Splicing the wires back on to the new connector is easy.

Electrical side of the clutch is nothing more that a magnetic coil. Either they work or they don't. Problem is you have to pull it apart to get to the coil.

Usually to mechanical side of the clutch burns out of the link straps break.

If you jump across the low pressure switch or take out the AC relay and jump across that, does the clutch engage? That would indicate that you are low on refrigerant. Another thing I've seen on a couple of Ford vehicles was that as they aged, the clutch would kick on, then kick back off when the vehicle got hot. I was able to take one of the shims out of the clutch and it started working all the time, but if yours isn't kicking on when you first turn it on, that may not be your issue.

I took the vehicle in to diagnose the issue and they found that the electrical connector on the compressor was loose and bent and therefore connect was intermittent, They were able to make the connection and fixed the issue but since the connector is a part of the compressor the whole things needed replacement. I choose not to change out the compressor and the connection has already been loosened as the A/c is no longer working. Any ideas or thoughts to fix the issue without replacing the compressor and spending a ton to get through the summer months?

So the pin is loose on the compressor side? If you put electrical grease on it, is it enough to get connection? If you can access the pin, you may be able to put a dab of epoxy or something at the base of it to secure it in place.

So the pin is loose on the compressor side? If you put electrical grease on it, is it enough to get connection? If you can access the pin, you may be able to put a dab of epoxy or something at the base of it to secure it in place.

Correct.

As for the electrical grease that worked but not for long. When I get some time this weekend I'll have to get under there and see if I can secure it somehow with epoxy or the like, great suggestion. Thank you.

Back