5th Gen Rear Wheel Alignment- Can it be adjusted? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Rear Wheel Alignment- Can it be adjusted?

ggifford

Reaction score
City, State
Chester, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
* I used the search function Peter * but found very little on this subject. I recently had new tires installed. The fronts had worn uneven on the inside so I also had it aligned and they fixed the toe adjustment that was out. Here is the problem however, I have two specs on my rear wheels that are out of spec. that the technician said there are no adjustments for. Appears the RR camber is out and the LR toe is out. I've attached a photo of the pre and post printout. Can anyone enlighten me as to if the rear end can be aligned and if so, where the adjustment points are? This alignment has a 6-month warranty, so I hope to bring it back to them with some new information. Thanks in advance!

xSport alignment results.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a 4 wheel alignment done twice on my 2017. The last time was after they did the rear toe link recall. I have everything done at the dealership so can't help on the alignment points.

Peter

Rear toe should be adjusted with toe links. Camber can be adjusted with camber bolts (cost about $20+ depending on where you get them from).

I strongly suggest requesting a refund and finding a shop with more qualified/capable techs.

Looks like they only did a 2 wheel alignment (front). I wonder why they didn't do the rears? Take it back.

Peter

Looks like they only did a 2 wheel alignment (front). I wonder why they didn't do the rears? Take it back.

Peter
Yep. OP indicated that tech stated no adjustment in rear, so all he/she could adjust was front.

Maybe it's semantics though. If a tech pits a vehicle on the alignment rack and checks front and rear alignment but only has to adjust one wheel, did the tech perform a 4 wheel, 2 wheel, or 1 wheel alignment? And how much should one pay for said alignment?

Thanks. Guess I forgot about that "no adjustment part". Interesting scenario you brought up. I'm guessing you would be charged for a 4 wheel alignment since the still had to check all wheels regardless. That being said, my dealer does a free alignment check when I bring the Explorer in for regular maintenance.

Peter

Yep. OP indicated that tech stated no adjustment in rear, so all he/she could adjust was front.

Maybe it's semantics though. If a tech pits a vehicle on the alignment rack and checks front and rear alignment but only has to adjust one wheel, did the tech perform a 4 wheel, 2 wheel, or 1 wheel alignment? And how much should one pay for said alignment?

HAHA.. that's one thing that I hate about paying for alignments. I know it is me being a penny pincher but whenever I buy tires, I dread the "we will check it for free" and then there is ONE spec that is out of one tire and still charge the $79-$99 to fix it. Yes I know they still put it on the rack and connect the sensors to all 4 tires etc. Rant over.

Rear toe should be adjusted with toe links. Camber can be adjusted with camber bolts (cost about $20+ depending on where you get them from).

I strongly suggest requesting a refund and finding a shop with more qualified/capable techs.

Kay Gee- thank you for the useful reply! Are the toe links adjustable on the Explorer or does it require an aftermarket purchase of adjustable toe links like the camber bolts? And just to clarify, there is zero camber adjustment on the Explorer without aftermarket camber bolts?

I have had several alignments done on my 2011 and 2017 Explorers and there was never any mention of having to change the toe links. Therefore I'm going with that they are adjustable. All alignments were done by the dealer and no extra parts were ever noted on the invoice.

Peter

I have had several alignments done on my 2011 and 2017 Explorers and there was never any mention of having to change the toe links. Therefore I'm going with that they are adjustable. All alignments were done by the dealer and no extra parts were ever noted on the invoice.

Peter
Thanks Peter, good to know. I'm going to bring it back to them and see what they can do, otherwise I'll bite the bullet and head to the stealeship.

I’d find a better independent shop. Unless my car is under warranty it NEVER goes to a dealer.

Interesting issue... years ago, we had a 2001 Chrysler Concorde, and it eventually needed an alignment. We were told that the rear wheels were out of alignment, and that the rear camber setting was normally not adjustable... but that there was an aftermarket kit available that did allow for the needed adjustment to be done, even though the car did not originally come with those parts to do it. We had it done, and never ever had an alignment (or tire wear issue) happen again... and we drove the car to 167K miles before giving it to our niece (who put another 20K miles on it after that).

Thanks for everyone's input. Here's where I'm at so far. The rear toe is definitely adjustable- I have no idea how the techs missed the adjustable rear toe links staring them in the face (I think they simply read the computer that stated the rear could not be adjusted). I've attached a pic of the rear toe link. I brought it back to the shop, pointed out the toe links, and they brought the LR into specification but stated they could not find any camber adjustment for the RR. As KayGee stated, it appears the camber is adjustable only with a camber bolt kit (I also could not find any concentric or adjustable anything that would affect the camber). I plan to reach out to Livernois for a camber bolt kit, install it, and bring it back a third time for the shop to bring the RR camber into spec. I'll post the results once it's all wrapped up.

IMG_2097.jpg

Peter, does the toe link recall require the deal to do a full alignment also?

Peter, does the toe link recall require the deal to do a full alignment also?
Hi Charles. My invoice indicated that they did a 4 wheel alignment. No charge for that. The TSB only mentions a rear wheel alignment is required.

Peter

Another update. Spoke with the gents at Livernois (super helpful as to be expected). They provided this thread for the SHO, which has essentially the same rear end. This link has great pics of the stock and aftermarket camber bolts and their location. Although the stock bolts have only minor adjustability, it explains why folks brought their out of alignment xSports to the dealership and the dealer was able to bring their camber back into spec. I plan to bring my xSport back for a third time, point out the camber bolt location with the pics that I've printed from the below thread and trust they will be able to bring my RR camber back into spec. Hope this helps anyone having similar issues.
Here is the rear camber thread link:
"How-To" Get Your Lowered SHO Back Into OEM Alignment Specs...

Back