City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
  • Recall Date: APR 25, 2016
  • Recall Title: REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: 16V245
  • Ford Recall Number: 16S18
  • Recall Description: A SMALL NUMBER OF VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH AN IMPROPERLY WELDED REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK.
  • Risk to Safety: AN IMPROPERLY WELDED TOE LINK THAT FRACTURES WHILE DRIVING COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE REAR TOE LINKS REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN SEPTEMBER, 2015. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS OCTOBER 31, 2016. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
I was recently notified by mail that the parts are now at the dealer, called the dealer and made an apt. For 12/1/16 to have this done. Should I ask them to check the alinement or will this be done automatically once the parts are replaced?
TBill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Per the recall documents, "Dealers are to replace both rear suspension toe links, check alignment, and if necessary, adjust rear toe."

Won't get a full alignment out of them, but yes, they are looking at it.

Good info. I too need this recall performed on my 2015 PIU Ecoboost.

I remember to notice informing there would be more information coming. I got the official letter yesterday to make an appointment. Now I just have to find time to bring it in.

Just had my 2014 Explorer's Rear Toe Link replaced and adjusted by Ford, because of a recall.
Took them about 90 minutes.
$0

DEARBORN, Mich., June 12, 2019 – Ford Motor Company is issuing three safety recalls in North America and one for Canada only.

Safety recall for select 2011-17 Ford Explorer vehicles for rear suspension toe link fracture issue

Ford is issuing a safety recall on select 2011-17 Ford Explorer vehicles. Vehicles that are exposed to frequent full rear suspension articulation (jounce and rebound) may experience a fractured rear suspension toe link. A fracture of a rear toe link significantly diminishes steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.

One customer reported hitting a curb when the toe link broke. Ford is not aware of any reports of injury related to this condition in markets included in this action.

This action affects approximately 1.2 million vehicles in the United States and federalized territories, approximately 28,000 in Canada and one in Mexico.

Affected vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant, May 17, 2010 to Jan. 25, 2017.

Dealers will remove and replace left and right-hand rear suspension toe links with a new forged toe link and align the rear suspension. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S17.
Ford Motor Company Issues Four Safety Recalls | Ford Media Center (Recall 19S17)

The 2 on the Explorer were posted before in the Forum's Combined Recalls thread in May 2017 Combined Recalls for 2011+ Explorer models and the other was posted in 2016 Combined Recalls for 2011+ Explorer models The only difference seems to be that the model years were extended
That explains why my dealership advised me in April that they had to do the toe link recall when I was in for regular maintenance.
Thank you.

Peter

I must be searching in the wrong area for more info on this. I was wanting to make sure whether or not they will need to do a rear alignment after the toe link replacement. Mine's going in the shop tomorrow.

I must be searching in the wrong area for more info on this. I was wanting to make sure whether or not they will need to do a rear alignment after the toe link replacement. Mine's going in the shop tomorrow.

Says in the FSA procedure a rear alignment is to be performed after the toe link replacement.

awesome thanks, right in front of my face!
A little late but as 15Limited pointed out they do. They did an alignment on mine and gave me a loaner for the day.

Peter

The 2 on the Explorer were posted before in the Forum's Combined Recalls thread in May 2017 Combined Recalls for 2011+ Explorer models and the other was posted in 2016 Combined Recalls for 2011+ Explorer models The only difference seems to be that the model years were extended
That explains why my dealership advised me in April that they had to do the toe link recall when I was in for regular maintenance.
Thank you.

Peter
They did this on your 18 Platinum back in April? Interesting, and I do remember reading your earlier posts about it, but thought it was a different one.
I called my local dealers (N Ont) and its only showing as an advance notice for them apparently - no parts or labor time has been assigned according to their service departments.

It was on my 2017 Platinum. I was aware of the recall for those in Saskatchewan and Manitoba but did not realize it had been extended to include all mentioned Explorers. There was nothing on my account except the carbon monoxide one which they also did.

Peter

It was on my 2017 Platinum. I was aware of the recall for those in Saskatchewan and Manitoba but did not realize it had been extended to include all mentioned Explorers. There was nothing on my account except the carbon monoxide one which they also did.

Peter
I wonder how they were able to do it then. Curious that other Ontario dealers don't have it ready to go.

I wonder how they were able to do it then. Curious that other Ontario dealers don't have it ready to go.
Ottawa, Ontario resident here and before I sold my 2016 EX Sport, the rear toe link recall was performed last year (minus the alignment) when it went in for a failed PTU and tranny.
I didn't even ask the dealership to do it specifically, as they mentioned that it came up under the VIN search (which it did and I also received the recall letter, despite it saying only applicable to certain regions) and they didn't care if it was a regional thing only.

Just had mine done with included rear alignment. Of course they curbed my wheel when parking it after they were finished.

My dealer said they're waiting for the parts. He said to call back in in two weeks. Seems a bit extreme.

Just had mine done with included rear alignment. Of course, they curbed my wheel when parking it after they were finished.
Will the dealer fix/replace??

My dealer said they're waiting for the parts. He said to call back in in two weeks. Seems a bit extreme.

Dealer here in Knoxville said the same...parts are on backorder and to call back on the 25th.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I JUST got my '16 Explorer back from Ford for an unrelated oil leak - but I did also complain that the steering was sluggish and pulling to the left, so they did a "toe alignment" (the printout says "ExpressAlign Total Alignment" but the numbers for Camber, Caster, Steer Ahead and Thrust Angle are virtually the same, just the Toe/Total Toe numbers are different) The before/after measurements were 3 minutes apart - does that sound right?

Anyway, it was in on 6-7-19. I don't suppose this recall was done at the same time? (it doesn't say anything of it)

Back