2020 Platinum Headlights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Platinum Headlights

When you go to the Ford web site and click on "build & price" for the Platinum the details list:
Explorer Platinum:

Standard Features
Exterior Features
  • Auto High Beams
  • Automatic LED Low-Beam Headlamps
  • Body-color door handles with satin aluminum insert
  • Body-color liftgate spoiler
  • Satin Aluminum Lower bodyside cladding accent
  • Quad Chrome Exhaust Tips
  • Grille, unique with satin-aluminum finish
  • Hands-Free, Foot-Activated Liftgate
  • Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams
Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Platinum at auto show has all LED headlights. This was also discussed on the 1st page that the Ford website is wrong.

The pictures on Ford build and price also show LED low and high.

OK, I hope the LED's are as good as my Halogens on my 2014 Limited.

Bill

If it as anything like my mothers 17 fusion with all LED (OEM), they will be outstanding.

Actually... I am not incorrect. I am a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership so I have a little experience with these vehicles. I also own a 2017 Explorer Sport that I will be doing an LED High Beam (and other lighting) conversion soon, and have been doing research related to that - My point being that if the Platinum had different lights with OEM LED High Beams, I would have found a way to retrofit it to my Explorer. It doesn't, I have looked into it. The only different housings are on the P.I.Utility as it does not have the LED DRL that runs on the top and down the sides of our lights, and the Sport which has black inserts in the headlights where all others are chrome/silver.

I even took a walk out on to the lot to verify before responding to make sure. The pre-owned 2018 AND the new 2019 Platinum on our lot both have LED Low beam, and Halogen (non-LED) High beam headlights equipped.

Hope this helps.

I know someone with a 2018 Platinum and it has LED high beams. Here is a badly cropped image I happened to have of said vehicle. You can see there is no bulb in the center of the high beam reflector. Light from the LED shoots out from the side just like the low beam.

yuMeOSV.png

A lookup on Etis shows it has a build date of 5/18/18 and level 8 headlamps. A quick search on Tasca brings up JB5Z-13008-T for the left and JB5Z-13008-S for the right headlamp housing. In the description for both housings it says:
Level 8 headlamps. With full led, level 8 lamps, from 05/07/2018

For a service manager at a Ford Dealership, can't you look this stuff up easily?

Actually, all 2016 - 2019 Explorers have standard LED Low-beam headlights, and Halogen High-beam headlights. This applies to all trim levels, including Platinum. If you have LED High-beam headlights on your Platinum, it is because aftermarket LED bulbs have been installed. :)

This information is incorrect. The 2018 Explorer Platinum has stock LED high beams. You can see the difference because the halogen housings have reflectors for the lights that stick out in the center of the housing. It appears Ford reverted to Halogen high beams for the 2019 Platinum.

OEM Halogen High Beam
Screen-Shot-2019-05-31-at-3-01-03-PM.png

OEM LED High Beam
Screen-Shot-2019-05-31-at-2-49-43-PM.png

2018 Order Guide
Screen-Shot-2019-05-31-at-2-35-44-PM.png

2020 Order Guide originally specified LED high beams for all models but the specs appear to have changed since this was published. All models now show halogen high beams.
Screen-Shot-2019-05-31-at-2-53-51-PM.png

Did you retrofit the housings too?

No need to retrofit the housings. Everything fit just fine and the rubber boot went back on. The only issue was the plug has to be reversed.

No need to retrofit the housings. Everything fit just fine and the rubber boot went back on. The only issue was the plug has to be reversed.
Halogens use projectors, LEDs use reflectors. A retrofit is necessary to ensure proper light distribution.

Halogens use projectors, LEDs use reflectors. A retrofit is necessary to ensure proper light distribution.

Some people don't care how the light is projected and whether it blinds others.

No, he said this was a 2016 Platinum. The halogens use reflectors, not projectors.

No, he said this was a 2016 Platinum. The halogens use reflectors, not projectors.
Pictures of the OEM LED and halogen high beams are posted 2 posts before mine in this thread. And they are clearly different.

As such, a retrofit would be highly recommended to ensure correct light distribution and projection.

Seeing as this is for high beams, the risk isn't in blinding other people, but in overdriving the high beams because they don't reach as far as correctly fitted bulbs would.

LEDs put into housings designed for halogens are a downgrade, as halogens throw light further and the color temperature can be matched to what an LED would be.

Pictures of the OEM LED and halogen high beams are posted 2 posts before mine in this thread. And they are clearly different.

As such, a retrofit would be highly recommended to ensure correct light distribution and projection.

Seeing as this is for high beams, the risk isn't in blinding other people, but in overdriving the high beams because they don't reach as far as correctly fitted bulbs would.

LEDs put into housings designed for halogens are a downgrade, as halogens throw light further and the color temperature can be matched to what an LED would be.
Of course they are different. The OEM LED housings don't use off the shelf 9005 style LED bulbs. It uses a purpose built reflector and side mounted LED whereas the OEM halogen housing has a center mounted 9005 socket.

I believe what chazglenn3 is talking about is replacing the OEM halogen 9005 bulb with a 9005 LED bulb. This is completely fine and doesn't have any of the issues you outlined if a high quality bulb is used. This is only a problem with bulbs that have LED chips that don't line up with the filament in the equivalent halogen bulb.

Since I started this discussion thread, I'll now finalize the truth of the matter, since my 2020 Explorer Platinum is sitting in my garage.
The 2020 Explorer Platinum has LED headlamps, both high and low beam.
Furthermore, the headlights articulate in the direction of any turning movement to better illuminate the curvature of the roadway.
Hope that settles the matter!

Since I started this discussion thread, I'll now finalize the truth of the matter, since my 2020 Explorer Platinum is sitting in my garage.
The 2020 Explorer Platinum has LED headlamps, both high and low beam.
Furthermore, the headlights articulate in the direction of any turning movement to better illuminate the curvature of the roadway.
Hope that settles the matter!

Thanks! I think he articulation is only on the platinum, but all models have both high and low beam LEDs...

Thanks! I think he articulation is only on the platinum, but all models have both high and low beam LEDs...

Yes, I believe that you are correct that LED headlight articulation is a feature that is only offered on the Platinum series.

I am considering a 2020 Explorer XLT and have read a couple of threads and am still confused about the headlights. Can anyone confirm for the 2020 Explorer XT is LED high and low beams are standard or not. If not, the only package that I see that might include them is the technology package and does not say anything about this. I have seen text about reflectors for hi beams but I am not sure what that means.

Related to this is a question about adaptive headlamps (lights that turn with steering input). This is almost as important to me as the brightest lights possible (which I assume are LEDs).

Does anyone have clear information on these two capabilities as they relate to the XLT, not the Platinum.

Thanks

I am considering a 2020 Explorer XT and have read a couple of threads and am still confused about the headlights. Can anyone confirm for the 2020 Explorer XT is LED high and low beams are standard or not. If not, the only package that I see that might include them is the technology package and does not say anything about this. I have seen text about reflectors for hi beams but I am not sure what that means.

Related to this is a question about adaptive headlamps (lights that turn with steering input). This is almost as important to me as the brightest lights possible (which I assume are LEDs).

Does anyone have clear information on these two capabilities as they relate to the XT, not the Platinum.

Thanks
Simply stated, all 2020 Explorers have all-LED lighting in the front. Only the Platinum series has articulated/adaptive headlights. Not an option for any other series.

Simply stated, all 2020 Explorers have all-LED lighting in the front. Only the Platinum series has articulated/adaptive headlights. Not an option for any other series.
Thanks very much. That was a fast clear answer, I appreciate it.

It surprising and disappointing to me that such a great feature is on cars a bit more than 1/2 the price of an Explorer XLT. I am not sure if it will rule the car out for me or not since it has other good features (like 400 HP).

Thanks very much. That was a fast clear answer, I appreciate it.

It surprising and disappointing to me that such a great feature is on cars a bit more than 1/2 the price of an Explorer XLT. I am not sure if it will rule the car out for me or not since it has other good features (like 400 HP).
Welcome to the Forum Jon.:wave:
I had that feature on my 2014 MKT. Can't say I really miss it or even notice it not being there now.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, have never had it in any car, not sure I’d appreciate it it that much, but I absolutely appreciate 400 hp.

Back