METAL FAN SHROUD ON 5.0 LITRE

BUXTER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SUMMERVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 MERC MOUNTY 5.0 AWD
I had a 14 Inch Fan 1750 CFM 10 Amp setup but Temp Gage wd increase at 95 degree Ambient during protracted Idle w/ AC on - Just went to this 16 Inch Fan 3000 CFM 12 Amp setup fabbed fm Sheet Metal off the Shelf - Using W1209 or WK 1209 Digital Temp Controller to trigger a 40 Amp Relay for Rad Fan - 2 Small 6 Amp Spals on back of Tranny Coolers are triggered via AC Clutch wiring & another 40 Amp Relay - Deleted Tranny Cooler in Radiator - I offsetted the Fan 1 inch toward Passenger Side from center line to help with Water Pump clearance - Up & Down its offsetted similar to Factory Shroud - Working great in HOT temps here in S.C. - Factory Gauge Needle now stays on 'Christmas tree thingy" when idling w/ AC on.

16 INCH 3000CFM & SHROUD.jpg

16 INCH 3000CFM .jpg

NEW FAN INSTALLED.jpg

NEW FAN OFFSET.jpg

NEW FAN ON OLD COOLER.jpg

NEW SHROUD.jpg

NEW TRANS COOLER.jpg

OLD & NEW FANS.jpg

WK 1209 .jpg

TRANS COOLER JUMPER.jpg

BAD FAN.jpg

FACTORY SHROUD.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good work!

My AC fades at idle, sucks. I think I am going to install electric pusher fans in front.

Good work!

My AC fades at idle, sucks. I think I am going to install electric pusher fans in front.

The biggest benefit of an electric fan is the control of airflow at low speeds, like the AC clutch command signal for later model cars.

Good work!

Of course that is most often the first good sign of a failing Fan Clutch...

Of course that is most often the first good sign of a failing Fan Clutch...

Very true, at this age it's time to replace all of those. I did mine last year when my radiator let go, and the balancer.

PICT3299.JPG

Balancer 50oz PB1463ST.JPG

Yes I was doing Water Pump when I found broken Fan Blade & it all evolved into Electric Fan setup via the great help of guys on the Board - He may well have broken Fan AND failing Fan Clutch so cost wise he is well n the way to Electric Fan setup as long as he has a good 130 Amp Alt.

Ooops, yah, basics, will check the fan clutch. Thanks guys!

This one has had a radiator and water pump.

If it's gone, gives me a reason to go electric, I think I can control the fans with my tuner, got to check that too.

Ooops, yah, basics, will check the fan clutch. Thanks guys!

This one has had a radiator and water pump.

If it's gone, gives me a reason to go electric, I think I can control the fans with my tuner, got to check that too.

AND 4 Pin 40 Amp Relay to take the load - Gotta decide on a 2 speed Fan - Dual Fans - Or separate AC & Coolant Temp Fans & Relays like I got.

That's look good! Much fancier than my electric fan shroud... I just put contour dual electric fans set into the stock plastic fan shroud held in place with metal mounts and lexan plastic, lol.. I went with a pwm fan controller and it's been working great a while now.

@willzilla - Do you have any pictures of the way you attached the contour fans? I've got the exact same components ready to go but had held off since I don't have a plan for mounting the fans.

Back