A/C Rear Line Leak | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Rear Line Leak

I too am a victim of the rear ac lines leaking! 2016 with 59k. Very disappointed overall with the quality of this Explorer. This is the third issue I have had with it and I have a three strikes your gone policy! Come on Ford release the info on the Bronco, momma needs a new car! Thanks to buying the premium care extended warranty, its only costing me $100 but still if this is what's to come, bye-bye!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone! Wanted to let everyone know that I am dealing with a AC line leak at the rear compressor and the Ford dealer is telling me that they cannot get the parts and that they are not available across the u.s.! They supposedly have it on emergency backorder but have no idea when they will come in. I have a loaner car which they are wanting me to return to send me home with my vehicle with no air conditioning. Thoroughly not happy so I contacted Ford directly to see what they could do. Not sure it will do any good but thought it was worth a shot! This is the third issue I've had with a three-year-old car, I would recommend getting the premium care warranty as this is ridiculous! I have a three strikes and you're out policy so I'm now looking for another vehicle. It really sucks because I like the looks of the Explorer!

Hello everyone! Wanted to let everyone know that I am dealing with a AC line leak at the rear compressor and the Ford dealer is telling me that they cannot get the parts and that they are not available across the u.s.! They supposedly have it on emergency backorder but have no idea when they will come in. I have a loaner car which they are wanting me to return to send me home with my vehicle with no air conditioning. Thoroughly not happy so I contacted Ford directly to see what they could do. Not sure it will do any good but thought it was worth a shot! This is the third issue I've had with a three-year-old car, I would recommend getting the premium care warranty as this is ridiculous! I have a three strikes and you're out policy so I'm now looking for another vehicle. It really sucks because I like the looks of the Explorer!

I believe the rear AC system is a separate system from the front. You should still have cold air coming from the front vents.

Being your vehicle is still operating less the rear AC, I can understand why they want the rental back.

I believe the rear AC system is a separate system from the front. You should still have cold air coming from the front vents.

Being your vehicle is still operating less the rear AC, I can understand why they want the rental back.
Thanks Blwnsmoke but it's blowing warm air out the front and back!

The front and rear system should be fed from the same compressor. It is not 2 completely separate systems that can work independently of each other.

I posted in a separate thread about our AC not working on the 2011 XLT, heard back from the dealer:

"Here's where we are @ on the Explorer... There is no freon in the system. We added dye to the system and traced the leak down to the lines that run to the back for the rear climate control. These lines are almost the length of the entire vehicle. The cradle has to be dropped to get them out. The system will then need to be evacuated and then recharge and also will require and alignment with moving the entire subframe. Bottom line total is $1822.01. "

And to think that I was suckered into buying yet another one back in Dec'17, what the hell was I thinking???

I'm going to inspect the lines and see if I can find a hole that needs to be patched up per fix mentioned above by Peter.

Otherwise, I'll get an indy shop to cancel/bypass the rear ^%&&* AC, it's normally just my high school son that drives the explorer, if he has friends in the back, they can suffer a bit! :D

Exactly what I have been told too except that its only costing me the $100 for the deductible on the Premium care warranty. Although 10 days and counting, I still do not have my explorer back.

I have to imagine one can just buy the new tubes and then cut and splice just the back section in. I would think a flared junction would suffice with 37° fitting. No need to remove subframe or re-align. Cost should be much more reasonable for that and evac/recharge.

May have to diy it or find a local shop that is willing to assist. Flare fittings on aluminum tubing are common in HVAC, airplanes, homebrewing(kegerator), etc... Should be able to get fittings from McMaster Carr.

I'm not sure why Ford hasn't issued a bulletin and a service kit as the problem seems fairly common and it has to be significantly more costly for them to replace the full line rather than perform a repair.

I'm going this route:

2013 Explorer AC Block Off Kit

Dealer is willing to install if I purchase and they will charge me ~$160 for system evacuation & refill, untop of the ~$150 I had to pay for diagnostics...all in not bad, much better than the $1800 originally quote. Don't really care that won't have AC in the back...oh well..

Peterk9. I did it! So I had a package with miscellaneous o rings. I picked a flat rubber ring out. Sliced one side and cut it down to wrap the pipe then I used a water clamp over that. Charged the system and no leaks. It's not professional its not permanent but it's a lot better than paying over a grand. I will say to others though dont use the underwater jb weld. It doesnt seal against the vapor gas and it made a mess of my line. I made sure where the pinhole was was very clean and smooth to allow the rubber to seat.

View attachment 170565
The AC leak on our 2011 was it this exact area. I cut back off some of the heat protective shielding but could not pinpoint exact location of hole, so decided to block of the Rear AC instead

Two weeks and counting, explorer still not fixed! Still no parts!

Hey guys,

I was a bit shocked (still am) that my local Ford dealership said that my AC Lines need to be completely replace when I took my Explorer in for what I assumed would be some recharging (no cold air blowing).

I was told that the AC lines need to be completely replaced, to do that they need to drop out the whole rear end, and it is a job costing over $2,000.

I'm surprised that something like AC Lines could already deteriorate in a not-so-old vehicle. I'm in Wisconsin - so not a super-hot climate (not sure if that matters). Are they built that badly or is this normal? And holy crap does that cost a lot to fix. I'll be using 4-window-AC in my 2015 Explorer Limited, it seems :( All the features and no AC.

Anyway... maybe I'm venting more than asking a question, but this seems to be relatively outrageous to me.

Andy

Hey guys,

I was a bit shocked (still am) that my local Ford dealership said that my AC Lines need to be completely replace when I took my Explorer in for what I assumed would be some recharging (no cold air blowing).

I was told that the AC lines need to be completely replaced, to do that they need to drop out the whole rear end, and it is a job costing over $2,000.

I'm surprised that something like AC Lines could already deteriorate in a not-so-old vehicle. I'm in Wisconsin - so not a super-hot climate (not sure if that matters). Are they built that badly or is this normal? And holy crap does that cost a lot to fix. I'll be using 4-window-AC in my 2015 Explorer Limited, it seems :( All the features and no AC.

Anyway... maybe I'm venting more than asking a question, but this seems to be relatively outrageous to me.

Andy

Must be defective lines, as here in Ontario Canada, our roads are salted during the winters, which causes corrosion and this problem is not systemic, although is susceptible with all makes and models.

ok. So, Wisconsin uses salt also. Still seems like a poor design if it is corroding on such a new(ish) vehicle. :(

ok. So, Wisconsin uses salt also. Still seems like a poor design if it is corroding on such a new(ish) vehicle. :(
Poor design for sure, as part of the lines hangs very low and exposed to all of that crap during the winters.

Hey guys,

Andy

Merged with an already ongoing discussion on the same issue. If your lines need to be replaced, it has a leak and most likely at the bend in the rear near the rear condenser.

I wonder if a good shop could cut out the section of lines that's leaking, and replace with a universal/generic type of line with fittings etc... I know it wouldn't be a proper repair but beats 2000 bucks (corrected typo)

I wonder if a good shop could cut out the section of lines that's leaking, and replace with a universal/generic type of line with fittings etc... I know it would be a proper repair but beats 2000 bucks
Yes. A capable shop should be able to do an ac line repair. You buy the new line, cut out what you need to replace on the old one and splice it in with the proper fittings. Already said this on prior page. A smart repair shop could also cut the new line and put in fittings that should allow them to install the whole new line without dropping the subframe also. Maybe the service part should be a 2 piece design to allow for easier replacement.

It should be a lot more reasonable to do this type of repair. No need to block off rear air or go without any ac.

Start of week #4 and still not fixed! Completely frustrated! Does anyone know if they are going to issue a Bulletin or recall???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another update, the dealer just called and said there are 327 of these parts on backorder and they are only shipping out 20 right now and it's anyone's guess who's 20 they are! So I wait....

Back