A/C Rear Line Leak | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Rear Line Leak

Start of week #4 and still not fixed! Completely frustrated! Does anyone know if they are going to issue a Bulletin or recall???
Since it isn't 'safety related' you won't see a Recall. Whether there will be a TSB or some kind Customer Satisfaction program is anyone's guess. Other than not have any A/C, is there any reason as to why you can't drive it until the parts come in?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean besides the fact that it's summer and 90 degrees out with 90% humidity! I'm pretty sure my children and dog feel the same way....

4 weeks Peter and all they have are 20 of them? Whose supplying the parts or lack there of? It truly makes me want to trade it in on a different brand when I've been loyal to Ford for 20 plus years.

You mean besides the fact that it's summer and 90 degrees out with 90% humidity! I'm pretty sure my children and dog feel the same way....
In the 'old days' before A/C we just simply rolled the windows down.;)

Peter

Oh trust me, I have owned several cars without air conditioning but when you pay $40,000 for a new vehicle you kinda expect it to work for longer than 3 years. I owned my last explorer sport trac for 16 years and had less problems with it then I have had with this one and it was half the cost when it was new. I think vehicle quality is going down hill.....

Aluminum tubing to rear ac from compressor rotted or oxidized and leaking where they enter cabin at rear ac.
Replace both tubes $1,800
Ford is offering to pay half.
This should never have happened.
How can I get them to pay for entire job?
3 2016 explorers at dealership waiting for same parts. Parts are currently not available
Back up: brought it in for rear brakes picked it up with no ac
20 days out of warranty
Thanks for your help!

Being out of warranty you are lucky that they paid for half.

Evidently you don't have a extended warranty.

Welcome to the Forum Dan.:wave:
I agree with JAPeterson that you are fortunate that Ford is willing to pay half. I also don't understand why there are so many A/C line failures.

Peter

Update: end of week 6 still not fixed. Still no parts. Being told they are going to ship "some" on July 26th but still no guarantee that I will be one of the lucky ones. Dealer is hopeful that I may get lucky because of the amount of time I have been waiting. The saga continues....

If you are paying out of pocket, you may want to check eBay and other online offerings. I found several rear lines in stock and available for immediate shipment. Some were at ford dealers.

Oit of warranty is out of warranty. Warranty coverage is black and white and you are lucky Ford picked up half. Should it have happened, no but count your blessings because Ford could have said NO.

As stated, 1 of the many reasons to get an ESP. Things are just way too expensive on modern vehicles and this 1 repair is more than a 6yr/125k warranty.

Ok so here's a solution that worked (so far) for me.

Mine also had a pinhole leak at the apex of the low pressure line bend at the rear of the vehicle. I could see fixture marks on the line, it looks to have been poorly bent by the supplier resulting in a thinned flat spot on the 90-degree bend going to the rear unit. Definitely a stress riser there + thin material = not surprising it failed. I circled it in the photo below, this is from the rear of the vehicle on the driver side looking forwar.
IMG_20190509_215405819_HDR.jpg

Yes I was quoted $1400ish to have the rear subframe & fuel tank dropped and the line replaced all the way the front. On mine the rest of the line looks bright and clean, no corrosion to be concerned about there. I want rear A/C functionality so capping it off was out of the question.

Initially I called all the local a/c repair shops -- nobody could come up with a good way to cut, crimp, and splice a new piece onto my existing line. I found a longish flat/straight section on the line ~17" forward of the bend, loosened some of the clamps, and cut it with a rotary pipe cutter. It's 5/8" aluminum so it cuts pretty easily. I carefully deburred the inside and was careful so all the metallic shavings stayed outside the line.

My local hydraulic supply shop has tubing that size but they couldn't ultimately fab up something as they don't have the interfacing fitting to go to the rear condenser. They cut and welded a newly formed line to my fittings but couldn't get it to seal. Too bad, that would have been really inexpensive.

So, plan B: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083H5ELM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dorman makes what appears to be a knockoff of a GM compression service part for splicing A/C lines, this was ~$20. Make sure you get the 5/8" version if your low pressure line is leaking (model 800-640).
IMG_20190615_132459154.jpg

I ordered a replacement low pressure line from my dealer, it was ~$180 and luckily not backordered. It's pretty long so can be a pain to transport. I cut off the same length piece from the new line, installed it onto the vehicle with the Dorman compression splice, did an evacuation and it held a strong vacuum. I left it that way a couple of days to be sure. I then charged the system and it's been holding for 2-3 months now.
IMG_20190615_132229512.jpg
IMG_20190615_132245387.jpg

Will this work for you? I dunno, I am not an a/c expert. Everyone I talked to was shocked my '14 Explorer with ~100k miles had this failure....this is something they see on 15-year-old vehicles.

Best of luck whatever you try. Looking at the photo again I may go wrap that splice with some rubber hose to keep it from rubbing against the sister line....

Ok so here's a solution that worked (so far) for me.

Mine also had a pinhole leak at the apex of the low pressure line bend at the rear of the vehicle. I could see fixture marks on the line, it looks to have been poorly bent by the supplier resulting in a thinned flat spot on the 90-degree bend going to the rear unit. Definitely a stress riser there + thin material = not surprising it failed. I circled it in the photo below, this is from the rear of the vehicle on the driver side looking forwar.
View attachment 172245
Yes I was quoted $1400ish to have the rear subframe & fuel tank dropped and the line replaced all the way the front. On mine the rest of the line looks bright and clean, no corrosion to be concerned about there. I want rear A/C functionality so capping it off was out of the question.

Initially I called all the local a/c repair shops -- nobody could come up with a good way to cut, crimp, and splice a new piece onto my existing line. I found a longish flat/straight section on the line ~17" forward of the bend, loosened some of the clamps, and cut it with a rotary pipe cutter. It's 5/8" aluminum so it cuts pretty easily. I carefully deburred the inside and was careful so all the metallic shavings stayed outside the line.

My local hydraulic supply shop has tubing that size but they couldn't ultimately fab up something as they don't have the interfacing fitting to go to the rear condenser. They cut and welded a newly formed line to my fittings but couldn't get it to seal. Too bad, that would have been really inexpensive.

So, plan B: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083H5ELM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dorman makes what appears to be a knockoff of a GM compression service part for splicing A/C lines, this was ~$20. Make sure you get the 5/8" version if your low pressure line is leaking (model 800-640).
View attachment 172248
I ordered a replacement low pressure line from my dealer, it was ~$180 and luckily not backordered. It's pretty long so can be a pain to transport. I cut off the same length piece from the new line, installed it onto the vehicle with the Dorman compression splice, did an evacuation and it held a strong vacuum. I left it that way a couple of days to be sure. I then charged the system and it's been holding for 2-3 months now.
View attachment 172246 View attachment 172247
Will this work for you? I dunno, I am not an a/c expert. Everyone I talked to was shocked my '14 Explorer with ~100k miles had this failure....this is something they see on 15-year-old vehicles.

Best of luck whatever you try. Looking at the photo again I may go wrap that splice with some rubber hose to keep it from rubbing against the sister line....
That's what I suggested a page back. Great find on the doorman fitting. I figured there would be something out there. Very reasonable diy alternative for those without warranty rather than capping off the rear system.

I don't know why ford engineers didn't develop a service kit like this to begin with. It would be a huge cost save for warranty repairs, rather than replacing the entire hose.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with the 3.5 naturally aspirated. I have 165k miles and it runs strong. couple rear wheel bearings is constant issues i had for so many miles.

Now i am facing an issue and the cost quoted by dealer is crazy
The pipe entering the rear ac condensor has corroded away and there is a huge hole. Fix proposed by dealr is drop the subframe and do some 2k major work appx . Other option found by me Use a rear block off parts and just use the front. Has anyone used these and also i see the one attachment point on the top, where is the second.

So of course i would like to get some advice on how to proceed.
i can do the block off and use the car as my beater . Is it the best option ?

satz

I would look at having someone do a repair like mentioned in this thread.

I am massachusetts and this happened now to my 2011 with 170k miles . the car runs and i am lost as to what to do. i do not want to spend 2k as quoted by a local dealer for this. We do have alot of warm weather in new england. now i have to get a new car instead of a payed off car is a bad option.

re: A/C Line Leak

There is a splice fitting you can purchase that will allow you to cut and replace a section of the rear lines without having to spend thousands on repair/replacement. It's a pretty common way to repair things = not sure why Ford doesn't offer it as a service kit to cut down on warranty costs (with a side benefit of cutting costs on customer pay jobs outside of warranty as well).

re: A/C Line Leak

There is a splice fitting you can purchase that will allow you to cut and replace a section of the rear lines without having to spend thousands on repair/replacement. It's a pretty common way to repair things = not sure why Ford doesn't offer it as a service kit to cut down on warranty costs (with a side benefit of cutting costs on customer pay jobs outside of warranty as well).
Its right at the entry into the evaporater at a right angle right at the tip...wish was in the middle so i can do these kits

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its right at the entry into the evaporater at a right angle right at the tip...wish was in the middle so i can do these kits
Not only are the lines corroded and cracked. The rear evaporator likely is pinholes and the blower motor corroded. The car is old enough and high mileage enough that I'd advise putting adblock off plate on at the front manifold. This will allow you to charge the system and use the front cooling. Probably about $300 total to do that.

Back