2020 reviews are starting to roll in | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 reviews are starting to roll in

Easily the most comprehensive ST review I've seen so far:

Jacob

“0-60 in 5.1. At sea level and 65 degrees, we expect it would be a couple tenths faster.”
:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

“0-60 in 5.1. At sea level and 65 degrees, we expect it would be a couple tenths faster.”
:burnout:

Damn.. you know a tune will hit 4.7-4.9.. Man I cant wait!!!

Easily the most comprehensive ST review I've seen so far:

Jacob

Great review. I'm a little surprised that after all those those good things he said about the ST he'd go for the Platinum.

If we take a step back from ST fanboyism and focus for a moment on the volume trims.... it's disappointing that the reviews seem to be saying that even with a major redesign Ford still fails to elevate one of its most important models above a freakin' Kia.

"Overall, the look is not as boxy, but it does pale in comparison to its luxury counterpart, the Lincoln Aviator, or the new Kia Telluride in terms of wow factor."

"However, the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade have a more premium vibe, even in lower trims and especially when their upper trim levels are compared to the leather- and wood-lined Platinum."

If we take a step back from ST fanboyism and focus for a moment on the volume trims.... it's disappointing that the reviews seem to be saying that even with a major redesign Ford still fails to elevate one of its most important models above a freakin' Kia.

"Overall, the look is not as boxy, but it does pale in comparison to its luxury counterpart, the Lincoln Aviator, or the new Kia Telluride in terms of wow factor."

"However, the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade have a more premium vibe, even in lower trims and especially when their upper trim levels are compared to the leather- and wood-lined Platinum."
Not surprising at all. KIA has been producing some highly rated vehicles for the past few years. There is a reason for the 'Big Three' to be concerned. KIA also has a longer factory warranty.

Peter

I don't think those vehicle comparisons are even realistic for the Explorer ST buyer. Maybe the Platinum buyer or the XLT/Limited buyer but not the ST buyer.

The July 2019 edition of CR ranked the top ten 3row midsize SUVs as such.
1 Subaru Ascent Limited
2 KIA Telluride EX
3 Toyota Highlander XLE (V6)
In their 'Road Report', the Telluride scored a 90 and the BMW X7 scored an 85.
I haven't seen anything yet on the ST but would expect something in the near future.

Peter

remember that reviews also are biased towards marketing and market trends.

Most SUV buyers - like my wife as an example - want a basic appliance car with all the gizmos and checks off the ME TOO box at the school/grocery/church/saloon parking lots.

Looks are more important than anything of substance like safety, security, maneuverability.

and let's face it nearly all of them hit a solid reliability target these days so that's not really a question. Although many of the world seems to think that toyotas never ever break down, but that's a longer rant than necessary.

So that colors the reviews when it comes to the normal devices. Based purely on a how much space for how many features can I get per dollar standpoint the guy is right. The kia in top trim is really the only logical choice. Smurf a duck that it rolls in turns, it's still upright after a lane change on the highway to disney world right - yep. K that's good.

Most people never experience the full acceleration of their car, while often getting to max braking, and never touching on skidpad level max lateral grip.

I agree the platinum is priced too high - and I bet even money if you were to planium out vs a aviator you'll see that technically per feature content the aviator might well be the better buy. My test seems to lean that way. (literally 400 dollars cheaper end tag to buy an aviator to get the same feature set)

It's a problem for the first edition of a new run. Next year I bet some adjustments fix that.

But a tech package XLT is right in the ballpark for it's competition and honestly the version I would probably buy. Which is the version of my 2016 model today.

Though I'll pause and say I have to test drive the lincoln just to cross that box in my spread sheet. The base model lincoln is also a good buy for segment.

either way I still see alot of positive which I'm glad to see. I like that most reviews bring out how different the platform is and how well the driveability of the systems are. I also agree as much as I like the sync 3 system - I'm looking forward to sync 4 now.

remember that reviews also are biased towards marketing and market trends.

Most SUV buyers - like my wife as an example - want a basic appliance car with all the gizmos and checks off the ME TOO box at the school/grocery/church/saloon parking lots.

Looks are more important than anything of substance like safety, security, maneuverability.

and let's face it nearly all of them hit a solid reliability target these days so that's not really a question. Although many of the world seems to think that toyotas never ever break down, but that's a longer rant than necessary.

So that colors the reviews when it comes to the normal devices. Based purely on a how much space for how many features can I get per dollar standpoint the guy is right. The kia in top trim is really the only logical choice. Smurf a duck that it rolls in turns, it's still upright after a lane change on the highway to disney world right - yep. K that's good.

Most people never experience the full acceleration of their car, while often getting to max braking, and never touching on skidpad level max lateral grip.

I agree the platinum is priced too high - and I bet even money if you were to planium out vs a aviator you'll see that technically per feature content the aviator might well be the better buy. My test seems to lean that way. (literally 400 dollars cheaper end tag to buy an aviator to get the same feature set)

It's a problem for the first edition of a new run. Next year I bet some adjustments fix that.

But a tech package XLT is right in the ballpark for it's competition and honestly the version I would probably buy. Which is the version of my 2016 model today.

Though I'll pause and say I have to test drive the lincoln just to cross that box in my spread sheet. The base model lincoln is also a good buy for segment.

either way I still see alot of positive which I'm glad to see. I like that most reviews bring out how different the platform is and how well the driveability of the systems are. I also agree as much as I like the sync 3 system - I'm looking forward to sync 4 now.

I agree on the pricing issues - I was leaning pretty strongly toward ordering a '20 vs. trying to deal on a '19 until I saw the price increase on the Platinum trim. I was coming out of a loaded Santa Fe (which I could have replaced for around $32k plus tax) and would have strongly considered the Kia/Hyundai 3 row if I didn't need the extra power for towing that really only Chrysler and Ford offer in their 3 row unibodys. I just am not willing to consider Chrysler yet - while I agree for the most part reliability differences have flattened that is NOT yet the case with FCA.

Ford Canada finally posted the Build & Price for the 2020 Explorer. As for prices between the Platinum ($64,599) and starting price of the Aviator ($75,500) you are looking at just about $11k (CDN) difference.

Peter

Ford Canada finally posted the Build & Price for the 2020 Explorer. As for prices between the Platinum ($64,599) and starting price of the Aviator ($75,500) you are looking at just about $11k (CDN) difference.

Peter

If it is anything like the US version, you still need the Reserve 1 to be similarly optioned which would jump up several thousand more.

Not a bad review but that guy is F%$%ing annoying, you would think a guy who reviews vehicles would know things like the cutout on the center console media hub was never designed or intended as a thumb release, it was always a cord notchout. The Explorer logo on the rear cargo cover is there because customer focus groups provided Ford with feedback that most customers like seeing small logos on the vehicle.

I think he was just trying to make a point about the cable cutout. He did make a mistake when saying the passenger side did not have the massage function.

I think he was just trying to make a point about the cable cutout. He did make a mistake when saying the passenger side did not have the massage function.
I was wondering about that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering about that.
Not a bad review but that guy is F%$%ing annoying, you would think a guy who reviews vehicles would know things like the cutout on the center console media hub was never designed or intended as a thumb release, it was always a cord notchout. The Explorer logo on the rear cargo cover is there because customer focus groups provided Ford with feedback that most customers like seeing small logos on the vehicle.
Doug Demuro is... not great. I’ve watched dozens of his reviews. He does get a lot of interesting cars, but he doesn’t do any research. He made fun of Motorcraft being mentioned in a Ford manual.. clearly no idea Motorcraft is owned by Ford. He also objectively rates acceleration on a 1-10 scale using objective 0-60 times... why?!?

Back