• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate water leak

Jobert

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT V8
My 2002 V8 XLT has a liftgate water leak that I think is leaking at the seal. I got it in August 2015 and it's been leaking since then. When it rains the bottom of the seal is soaked and the little bit of carpet surrounding the catch is always wet and has rusted the catch. I don't see any other water or moisture in the area.

The other day it rained and I opened the liftgate and found some moisture on the sides of the seal so I think the seal is where the water is coming in.

I did a search and didn't find any similar problems.

I imagine that I can find where the water is getting in using the hose (haven't tried that yet) but I'm wondering if any others here might have had this problem?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same exact problem, and cannot pinpoint the source of the leak. Did you resolve this?

I have the same exact problem, and cannot pinpoint the source of the leak. Did you resolve this?
It's been awhile since I've logged on & I see that your post was dated April 26, 2019, so I'm just now replying.

Did you ever find the source of the leak?

Chmsl leaks when foam deteriorates from age. Also check weather strip. They can shrink and look fine but pinch weld is not making contact with backside of seal.

Mine was leaking in from the 3rd brake light. Good luck!

In this case, silicone is your friend.

Had the same problem... the rubber seal below, the 3rd brake light, was drooping downward so I pressed it back upwards tightly into the space between the glass and the hatch frame and presto no more leaks. I frequently check the rubber seal hasn't dropped down again and check after any rain for wet spots. Still dry and no more stinky stagnant smells to this day - good luck to you all..

On my '02, the rubber weatherstrip between the rear GLASS and the rear hatch failed. (Not the weatherstrip between the hatch and the body.) They're hard to find and expensive. Just ordered one on Ebay.

When I would lift up the rear hatch after a rain, water would drip out of the raised hatch, and the bottom edge of the hatch was starting to rust.

On my '02, the rubber weatherstrip between the rear GLASS and the rear hatch failed. (Not the weatherstrip between the hatch and the body.) They're hard to find and expensive. Just ordered one on Ebay.

When I would lift up the rear hatch after a rain, water would drip out of the raised hatch, and the bottom edge of the hatch was starting to rust.

Samesies

Back