My blacked out Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My blacked out Explorer

i would have to assume 5%? I have been going to the same guy for almost 20 years, been the same level ( close to rear color). but in all honesty I have no clue. I just say, I need my windows tinted..... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ron,
I really like the blackout look one thing I would add if you have a tint guy see if he can tint the blinker side mirrors. That clear plastic really stands out. I had mine done and out of all the MODS I have done this is the one detail I like the best.

I am contemplating on painting anc clearcoat a smoke black to the turn and tail lamps
I’ve seen that done on a few vehicles and it looks really good you can still see the LEDs in daylight and night with no obstruction of you plus I never use my directionals anyway LOL

2018 Explorer XLT- can I black it out?

Just purchased a 2018 XLT in black. Looking to get rid of all the chrome on the car. I’m looking to buy sport parts and just replace the chrome. Has anyone done this? Does it all fit the same?

Thanks!

20180225_173018.jpg
Buying original Ford parts could get expensive. Have you thought about having the parts wrapped in gloss black film. This would also allow you to go back to original when you sold it.
I wrapped the Ford emblem on mine.

It should all fit the same, but it's going to cost you well over $1k to do if you replace everything.

2018 Explorer XLT- can I black it out?

Just purchased a 2018 XLT in black. Looking to get rid of all the chrome on the car. I’m looking to buy sport parts and just replace the chrome. Has anyone done this? Does it all fit the same?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). There are several threads on adding black emblems, door handles, chrome strips and other items using such things as vinyl wrap or plasti dip.. Here is just one of them; Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Peter

View attachment 160232 Buying original Ford parts could get expensive. Have you thought about having the parts wrapped in gloss black film. This would also allow you to go back to original when you sold it.
I wrapped the Ford emblem on mine.

Where do you get this gloss black film? Is it a DIY job? I am torn with my Limited. I love like the chrome accents but I kinda prefer the sport look.

Hi all,

I have a 2016 XLT (BLACK) that has silver trim towards the bottom of the 4 doors, as well as right below the rear window on the tailgate between the tail lights(see picture -- https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hppDxxJt0_w/hqdefault.jpg). I am entertaining the idea of replacing those chrome pieces of trim with black.

Before i go to far i would like to see if anyone has done this... or has a black explorer in a trim level (limited/sport/PIU) with those pieces in black and can share pictures. I am not sure which models use this but i have seen a explorer sport with a black trim piece on the tail gate, although that version was a 4th gen, and not a 5th gen, and i didn't see if it has those chrome pieces on the doors.

Are there different options as far as flat black, paint matched (black), etc?
What are the model numbers, and are there any recommended sources for getting them from?
Is removal/replacement of these pieces possible with out special tools? Are they attached by clips?

thanks in advance for any information!

Hi all,

I have a 2016 XLT (BLACK) that has silver trim towards the bottom of the 4 doors, as well as right below the rear window on the tailgate between the tail lights(see picture -- https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hppDxxJt0_w/hqdefault.jpg). I am entertaining the idea of replacing those chrome pieces of trim with black.

Before i go to far i would like to see if anyone has done this... or has a black explorer in a trim level (limited/sport/PIU) with those pieces in black and can share pictures. I am not sure which models use this but i have seen a explorer sport with a black trim piece on the tail gate, although that version was a 4th gen, and not a 5th gen, and i didn't see if it has those chrome pieces on the doors.

Are there different options as far as flat black, paint matched (black), etc?
What are the model numbers, and are there any recommended sources for getting them from?
Is removal/replacement of these pieces possible with out special tools? Are they attached by clips?

thanks in advance for any information!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one. There are a few threads on blacking out the chrome and emblems. There is a 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be helpful in finding them. Here is another thread; Black as night Good luck.

Peter

Is anyone considering a complete black out? I'd like to hear more about the process if anyone has done it or is planning to.

Is anyone considering a complete black out? I'd like to hear more about the process if anyone has done it or is planning to.
Your thread was merged with this existing one. The 'Search' feature is a handy thing to have.:)

Peter

Nice. Were you in the process of changing the front plate? Looks like the trim is starting to come loose.

Peter

Nice. Were you in the process of changing the front plate? Looks like the trim is starting to come loose.

Peter
No this was less than a week after i got it, so it still had the dealer frame/plate on it. I’ve since got my plates and put tinted covers over front and back. 20% tints on the front windows to match the back. I don’t plan on doing the headlights or taillights, especially since it’s a ‘19 sport and it comes with a black inlay to make them appear a little darker.

I had never considered tinting the turn signals on the side mirrors until seeing it done here. Now I’m contemplating that too lol.

Still quite a few performance upgrades I’m looking at doing as well.. can’t wait to get started!

Bump because we are all in the same boat of Anti Chrome agenda! I got as many ideas is I needed from this post.

Back