V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer Build Log | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer Build Log

Good job... keep updating us....and post pics of 302 inside new home

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will do, I can't wait to see that myself.

So the pics I forgot about will be in a montage when done on YouTube, which I'll link here. Questions are, I'm hunting a wood grain radio trim, if anybody runs across a cheap V8 trim on eBay link it here please, also, I'm trying to find out, to program the original keys to the PCM with Forscan takes what? I want to retain the original key to the truck.

So the pics I forgot about will be in a montage when done on YouTube, which I'll link here. Questions are, I'm hunting a wood grain radio trim, if anybody runs across a cheap V8 trim on eBay link it here please, also, I'm trying to find out, to program the original keys to the PCM with Forscan takes what? I want to retain the original key to the truck.
I junked out a mountaineer premier. I'll see if I have the trim for it.

I junked out a mountaineer premier. I'll see if I have the trim for it.

Thanks, I'd have thought my Mountaineer parts truck would've had it, it only had the regular black one though.

Thanks, I'd have thought my Mountaineer parts truck would've had it, it only had the regular black one though.
I think only the premier trucks did. I'll look in my pile tommorow.

Thanks sir!

So can't make a comment on how it's doing with that V8 swap, I've got some other stuff I'm doing before I bring out the truck, everything I ever wanted to do to it, I'm doing now while it's in that position. I found a V8 Limited radio trim, local junkyard advertised a 01 Limited V8, then when I went they transferred it two hours away to a better yard. I found another yard half an hour away I'm going to tomorrow or Friday to check for one. Got my speaker box for 2 12s in the box, a sport cluster to go in it, new tires are a plan too, so the AWD will be happy and go lucky. Mostly loose ends, still hunting a V8 trim, I'll have one yet.

When you say V8 trim what do you mean?
I have a wood grain dash and stereo bezel around here somewhere. The premier had it and so did a couple of others, I have seen it 3 times in all the explorer's I have crushed/flipped

Every Mountaineer I've had/seen had the wood grain plastic radio surround. The wood grain still looks cheap, but it looks better than the worn rubberized black plastic surround.

My parts Mountaineer didn't come with it, mine's got leather and pretty nice trim, but I suppose they made them without it. @410Fortune The wood grain radio trim that's in the high trim V8 trucks, without the 4WD knob. I found one with a 4WD knob already for $10 but I'm planning on likely leaving it AWD to begin with so I don't want a dummy knob. I'm kinda picky about this one detail :confused2:

My parts Mountaineer didn't come with it, mine's got leather and pretty nice trim, but I suppose they made them without it. @410Fortune The wood grain radio trim that's in the high trim V8 trucks, without the 4WD knob. I found one with a 4WD knob already for $10 but I'm planning on likely leaving it AWD to begin with so I don't want a dummy knob. I'm kinda picky about this one detail :confused2:

My 98 Limited has a replacement bezel, with the 4WD knob. With the rear wiper not working, it's got two useless knobs, plus a bigger hole for the cigarette lighter. The PO was rough on cars, and this was her first(probably boy friends doing).

So to update this thread, since this truck kinda got forgotten about, and there's some confusion with having so many build threads. I did finish the engine and trans swap about two months ago to where I could crank this truck. It cranked on the touch of the key, full fledged V8 AWD, 131K on the donor, 197K on the body, which is essentially perfect. My mint truck is now a V8. I've since then been working through odd and end things, like getting the oil pressure sensor working, cleaning up loose ends, and getting ready for the full exhaust which I plan to put on there this week. After that it's tires and it should be ready to hit the road again.

I will say I would've never actually believed one could take a motor from a 99 XLT 2WD and put that into a 01 Eddie Bauer, and make it AWD, and it work perfectly. Everybody I mentioned it to begin with, said "it can't be done". It's apparently been two years since this started, it doesn't feel like that long, I guess I spend a lotta time busy and not being fully convinced it'd run catches you sometimes. This truck is my pride and joy, how many people can say they hand built their car because they wanted to, and for no other reason?

Why I did is a personal reason. I did find a CHEAP set of new Michelins for it a little while back, brand new off a turned over GMC, I also found the woodgrain trim piece, a good friend in New York sent me one. I also got some new Kenwood door speakers for it, might as well do everything I ever wanted to while I'm at it.

So I'm back. Life got busy and such. I'd like to make the comment that V8 swapping this truck is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done, I have one of the cleanest 2nd gen Eddie Bauers in my area, no rust, AWD V8 with 198K on the body and 131K drivetrain starting out, very very very nice ride. I love it to death. Along the way I did some updates after finishing the initial build. A newer set of Michelin tires and a touch screen radio, wood grain radio trim. There's not too much to comment on with this truck, it's actually pretty problem free considering the swap. Don't drive it too much, just keeping miles down mostly, but I can't say I don't enjoy it.

I'm definitely still messing with second gens though, my 2000 XLT is at 310K now, and albeit a worn out basket case still goes. My 96 I got a trans for, probably selling that when done, if anybody is in the market for a decent 96 4.0 2WD, I'll bring that thread if I have one up to speed eventually. I might've also in the meanwhile bought myself a 96 5.0 2WD, Eddie Bauer, green on green with 141K. I needed it like a hole in my head but I hated to see a low mile 5.0, albeit rough inside and out, scrapped out to build a Mustang. Might put a cam and some fun goodies in that one.

Back