Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

Perhaps a little WD-40 or something like that in the tracks?

A mouse trap to get rid of the squeak might work too...

Ditto, the whole sunroof assembly needs cleaning and lubricating every ten years or so. I did that with my two Mark VII's, and my 98 Mercury after my old 91 was running slow.

Simply open it up and carefully wipe with clean rags the seat track which you can reach. Go slow and easy, there are several sharp edges along the many parts in there. I used WD40, white lithium grease, and PB Blaster. Cleaning it helped a lot, and working the grease into parts did also. I covered the interior with some old towels before I sprayed anything, it's likely some over spray will reach things you don;t want it to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go slow and easy, there are several sharp edges along the many parts in there.

@CDW6212R is 100% correct. Some of those tracks will cut you before you know it happened...

It just dawned on me that I don't know how many miles are on these plugs and wires. I think that is something I need to look at next. Can't believe I haven't thought about doing those yet!

Holy crap! Spark plug wire sets are EXPENSIVE for these old 5.0 motors! What brands to you guys recommend other than Motorcraft? Are the Motorcraft plugs good to go? What model number? Motorcraft SP432? Are hard are they to do on the 5.0? It's been a LONG time since I've changed spark plugs on anything!

I've tried a couple of sets of the Denso exact fit wires from Rock Auto. I'm happy with them and they're less expensive than Motorcraft. They fit well and have the metal shielding on them like the OE wires. I'd also recommend Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum spark plugs.

You'll probably find the driver's side plugs are worn down to almost nothing and the passenger side plugs will look pretty good.

Ughhhh. I need to improve my fuel economy with this thing. 11 MPG! LOL

Ughhhh. I need to improve my fuel economy with this thing. 11 MPG! LOL
That's not good, something amiss there. Mine is getting right at 11mpg all around including delivering mail about 40% of the mileage.

How old are the O2 sensors, and plugs/wires, fuel filter, gap on the plugs(.055)?

I need to do all of that. I haven't gotten into any of that in the year I've owned it. Plus it has one hell of an exhaust manifold leak.

She runs like a champ though! I accidentally got up to 100 today without any issue.

hmmm doing 80+ you are gonna get low MPG :)
Check your tire pressures
see if the truck rolls smoothly on flat ground in N (not running!!)

Good thoughts, run tire pressures near the MAX of the tire, I use about 38psi/34psi with 44psi MAX tires.

Also you can check rolling resistance on a level highway, but it won't tell you much unless some bearing etc, is very bad. Carefully put it in neutral, and notice how fast the speed drops. If you do that, don't touch the gas and gently put it back in drive and let it engage, that will not hurt anything.

The front o2 sensor are about $25 each, but note the right side one is a PITA to connect the upper wiring connector. Be slow and patient with that one, find somebody with thin long arms if possible.

Good thoughts....

The front o2 sensor are about $25 each, but note the right side one is a PITA to connect the upper wiring connector. Be slow and patient with that one, find somebody with thin long arms if possible.

Idea for oxygen sensor replacement: go under the vehicle and screw the new threaded sensor in place. Then tie a big nut or bolt to a string, drop the weighted end through the engine compartment, then tie line around the new Oxygen sensor connector. Pull the new connector up through the engine compartment. Then hook up the connectors. Done.

Just an idea that works for me. Good luck.

The right one connects almost at the top of the trans(on the 302). Basically on your back reaching straight up with the wiring/connector, with one hand you have to locate the end on the trans harness, and put the two parts together. I've read of people removing the console to go through the floor hole, but that's a lot more work. It took me about five minutes to manipulate that one O2 connector, the first one I had done before.

Don, I have the 4.0, but am still interested. Is there not enough slack to pull the connectors up into the engine bay from the top?

Don, I have the 4.0, but am still interested. Is there not enough slack to pull the connectors up into the engine bay from the top?

The 4.0 I think there is no big trouble, but on the 302 the harness is attached well to the transmission in a couple of places. The connector is a good 18" or more behind the engine I think, it's around the more narrow part of the trans, at the top. The cat pipes are part of the trouble, there's only room for one arm to get up there.

you can do it from the passenger side of the upper intake, either from up top basically crawl under the hood, or sometimes you can get them through the passenger side wheel well....
I have gotten very good at connecting them with one hand over the years

I think when I had my last oil change done, they reset the computer. My fuel economy continues to improve the more I drive.

The squeaks coming out of the roof are starting to get really annoying. :(

My driver window went out again today. I recently replaced the master window switch so now all of the windows work (previously only the driver window worked). When I hot the other windows down from the driver door they function great. But when I hit the driver window, all I hear is a loud click from under the dash. Do the windows have their own relays?

There is a relay box under the dash with at least one for the windows. The driver's window also has an extra circuit for it, due to the auto down circuit in the GEM. It may be time to replace that relay under there, it's kind of near the gas pedal, above and rearward a little. The box is about 5"x3"x3" in size, all black.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a relay box under the dash with at least one for the windows. The driver's window also has an extra circuit for it, due to the auto down circuit in the GEM. It may be time to replace that relay under there, it's kind of near the gas pedal, above and rearward a little. The box is about 5"x3"x3" in size, all black.
Cool, thank you.

Back