What tools are included for spare tire change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tools are included for spare tire change?

anony

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT but 2 of the tools that are for lowering/raising the spare tire are missing and when I spoke to the previous owner they didn't know it was missing and they didn't remember what they looked like. I'm rather good with vehicles and I know my parts and how to do service work but this is the first time since now owning this model vehicle that I need to know what all is included for changing a tire on the Explorer. Currently I am keeping my spare in the back cargo area and I have one of my heavy duty roll-away jacks and lug wrench there just in case so I don't get stranded if I do get a flat. I know what the bottle jack looks like, but can anyone please take the time to take pictures of all their tools that is supposed to be all included to change the tire and send them to me so I know what to look for as I need to buy those tools. I did find the little hidden area behind the back seat where the tools are supposed to be stored but for shopping reference I need to know what those tool rods all look like so I know which one I need. Thank you for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you so much for this video, that's exactly what I needed to see. And thanks for sharing your vicious guard dog, that gave me a good laugh. That rod with the hook is exactly what I'm missing. Again thank you, this was perfect.

I only got a jack with mine,don't even know if it works.

Yeeyeee:dpchug:

I'm trying to remember, can you just undo a big wing nut or something to get the spare tire off without lowering it first? Granted it could be a bit awkward to lower (catch it as it falls) then unless you have pretty good arm/shoulder strength, or you have something to prop it up till you reposition.

At least you got tools with yours, which a complete set has two rods, one is an extension, one has the hook. The other tools are the lug wrench and the jack. I got my tools with my 2001 and my 2000 both. My 96 I thought had the jack in a plastic bag (weird), with no tools, turns out that was a whole bottle of booze. Makes sense now why the title loan company had it.

The big "wing nut" you are thinking about isn't a nut. It's a retaining flange that is kind of shaped like one that is attached to the steel wire cable that unwinds as you lower the tire with the rods. In it's raised position, there is no way you can maneuver that flange thru the hole in the center of the wheel to drop it down.

I'd check your local U Pull yard or regular JY and get a set of the rods. I've seen them in some of the Explorers at my local U Pull.

You need the rods to drop the spare tire down. Once on the ground the wing-nut looking thing can be maneuvered out of the center of the wheel. One rod has a spoon-shape on the end that hooks into the spare tire winch and also into the jack. Some of the lug wrenches have a square hole in the middle that fits over the end of the rod so that you can spin it like a crank.

Thanks. I remember the flange but didn't remember if there was a nut under it holding that together, if there was some way to get the tire down in an emergency (reasonably without destruction) if the cable mechanism seized up. I may just lube the !@#$ out of it the next time I'm playing with grease.

I'm gonna post a pic when my wife gets home
It will answer all of these questions

There's no nut under the wing-nut thing. The cable is crimped on under the wing-nut thing.

Now I feel compelled to find some way to get a nut involved... maybe chop the end of that (crimp) cable off, loop it through an eye bolt and crimp above the retaining plate cup thing, then put a wing nut and washer on that. Maybe I'll get around to that before winter... right now it's about 100F in my garage.

I'll be going to the junkyards soon to check for the rods and jack.

For some reason, the two pick-a-part yards I go to, the two rods and the lug nut wrench are hard to find. I never look for the jack since the vehicles are set up on make-shift stands made from two steel wheels, one flat, and one vertical, welded together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My local U Pull removes all jacks from the vehicles for liability reasons before putting them out in the yard (don't want people jacking up vehicles onsite). However, noticed one today that had slipped past them sitting inside a Ford Taurus wagon...lol

BTW...factory bottle jack stands about 7 1/2" high fully retracted. But, isn't going to do you much good without the short jack handle with the tapered end that is stored on the cover trim panel.

Back