After Market Wheel Size Question

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I’m looking into replacing my stock 15” wheels with some
16x8 0 5x114.3 wheels.

I’ve searched the site and see that the bolt pattern is correct at 5x114.3 but the offset is confusing me. These wheels have 0 offset so I’m wondering if 255/70r16 tires will work with these wheels on my truck. Thanks for any help.

B5EC0C03-4CF3-48CA-B6BD-A2F5EBEE2287.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they'll fit OK. I had 255x75s on a set of Cragar 7" with +6mm offset.
The closest interference will be the outer tie-rod end. I only had about 1/4"
clearance with mine, but nothing rubbed. Just my best guess, and no guarantees,
but they should work. (The bigger tires will slow you down a bit....)

Thanks for the reply. I’m running 255/75r15 tires at the moment and didn’t notice a difference in acceleration or mpg when I originally switched from the stock size tires. So I’m hoping another inch of tire will be fine.

So I put the new 16x8 wheels and 30” tires on and love the look.

299F7E2D-F3D6-4A9C-A47A-9F9F9B4412EE.jpeg

I did have some rubbing on the fog light trim but 10 minutes and a dremel took care of that.

2EE718FD-5BDC-4984-A26D-8AC33F18CA76.jpeg

I bought a kit that included 1-3” leveling keys and 1-2” adjustable shackles. I originally had the front set equal to the rear but the ride was way, and I mean WAY too stiff. So I lowered the torsion bolts as far as they would go and still have an inch of lift more than before with good ride quality. I’m an inch higher in the rear but can live with it and can always lower the rear another inch to match the front, since the shackles adjust. I have 35” from floor to wheel well in the front and 36” in the rear. The cooper tires are amazingly smooth and it feels like my parent’s Tahoe with coil-overs now.

Those are nice looking rims....really give it a modern look....

Those are nice looking rims....really give it a modern look....

Thanks. I like how they matched the bumpers. They’re Vision Warrior wheels.

My winter tires (255/70) BFG SlalomKSI and they are on ProComp RockCrawler Series98 16x7, I use it only when the snow is here. Not every year. The same Procomp was good for the BFG AT 275/70 also at the beginning but sometimes it reached the chassis.
I installed custom build 4pcs wheel spacers 1" with metric studs and lug nuts.
Sometimes it reached the chassis at the beginning, so I installed 1" torsion key lift at front and add-a-leaf on the rear.
I had to modify, welding a little bit longer stabilizer link also.
My other set tires are 275/70 R16 Michelin Latitude Cross, they are on MickeyThompson Classic 16x8, I like it because much lighter than the procomp with BFG and the car accelerate and braking better. Comfort is better also. None of them reach the chassis now.
thumb_IMG_4294_1024.jpg
IMG_4328.JPG
alu(1).JPG
thumb_IMG_4139_1024(1).jpg
IMG_4312.JPG

So I put the new 16x8 wheels and 30” tires on and love the look.

View attachment 171826

I did have some rubbing on the fog light trim but 10 minutes and a dremel took care of that.

View attachment 171827

I bought a kit that included 1-3” leveling keys and 1-2” adjustable shackles. I originally had the front set equal to the rear but the ride was way, and I mean WAY too stiff. So I lowered the torsion bolts as far as they would go and still have an inch of lift more than before with good ride quality. I’m an inch higher in the rear but can live with it and can always lower the rear another inch to match the front, since the shackles adjust. I have 35” from floor to wheel well in the front and 36” in the rear. The cooper tires are amazingly smooth and it feels like my parent’s Tahoe with coil-overs now.

Very good, I like the look of that also.

I would have worried about the offset, at a first thought I'd think they stick out too far in front. The back is great for sure, the stock rear are too far inboard anyway.

Can you post a picture from the front, with the tires pointing straight? I'm curious of how the wheels do show out of the fenders. I have 17x9" wheels I haven't gotten modified to fit yet, and they have 16mm offsets. Your zero offset 8" wheels should be about a 1/4" farther outboard than these 17x9's.

Very good, I like the look of that also.

I would have worried about the offset, at a first thought I'd think they stick out too far in front. The back is great for sure, the stock rear are too far inboard anyway.

Can you post a picture from the front, with the tires pointing straight? I'm curious of how the wheels do show out of the fenders. I have 17x9" wheels I haven't gotten modified to fit yet, and they have 16mm offsets. Your zero offset 8" wheels should be about a 1/4" farther outboard than these 17x9's.

Here’s a picture directly from the center and one to the side. They stick out just beyond the fenders but not too much.

311CC1A2-36FE-4D6C-92DC-ABB53FAF431F.jpeg

CC6D2976-CC98-450E-9794-749C1BD763E8.jpeg

I should be ok as far as flying rocks go since I don’t go off-road often.

F5DED8EA-4194-43AB-9E0A-A73E36971F82.jpeg

My winter tires (255/70) BFG SlalomKSI and they are on ProComp RockCrawler Series98 16x7, I use it only when the snow is here. Not every year. The same Procomp was good for the BFG AT 275/70 also at the beginning but sometimes it reached the chassis.
I installed custom build 4pcs wheel spacers 1" with metric studs and lug nuts.
Sometimes it reached the chassis at the beginning, so I installed 1" torsion key lift at front and add-a-leaf on the rear.
I had to modify, welding a little bit longer stabilizer link also.
My other set tires are 275/70 R16 Michelin Latitude Cross, they are on MickeyThompson Classic 16x8, I like it because much lighter than the procomp with BFG and the car accelerate and braking better. Comfort is better also. None of them reach the chassis now.
View attachment 171836 View attachment 171837 View attachment 171838 View attachment 171839 View attachment 171840

Nice truck. Luckily you have fender flares so your tires can go out further. I never thought wider wheels and different tires could make such a huge difference. I liked the look of my old Grabber at2’s but the ride quality of the Coopers is amazing.

Here’s a picture directly from the center and one to the side. They stick out just beyond the fenders but not too much.
I should be ok as far as flying rocks go since I don’t go off-road often.

View attachment 171843

That's very good, just about perfect. I test fitted my used 17x9's and they looked farther out than that, so I bought a pair of the front OEM flares from an XLT/1998ish model. Where you have the front tires is just about perfect IMO.

Volk Wheels - Gt-C.jpg

That's very good, just about perfect. I test fitted my used 17x9's and they looked farther out than that, so I bought a pair of the front OEM flares from an XLT/1998ish model. Where you have the front tires is just about perfect IMO.

View attachment 171846

I’m considering adding some universal fender flares like these:

B9E0F308-C880-4E66-A62F-06CF0235AC2D.jpeg

I’m thinking about using double sided tape to secure them on the sides and the stock holes on the bottom of the fenders to mount them, in order to avoid drilling into the fenders. I just have to find the right size.

0100C0B0-BF9E-4599-825E-9F1413FEA79D.jpeg

If you'd like a flare, try the OEM type first. See the rare one I mentioned, it's thinner and attaches only by the holes in the fender wheel well as you pictured. It's made for a short piece that fits near where running boards would be, or the hung kind of OEM boards. I got them for about $10, but I plan to paint them to match the body, they have a surface that's plastic/rough. They didn't make a rear flare except the wider types, 95-98 and 99-01 styles.

I can probably find a set of the XLT flares at the junkyard but I don’t like how they go all the way down onto the rear door. I may just go the easy route and put on some EZ Flares. Two rolls are enough for a second gen from what the reviews say. I’ll definitely make some holes in the flares to make use of the stock fastener holes.

I agree with you about the rear doors/flares. I have the big ones on my 99, and I had to drill all of the holes into the door and quarter panel to install them(in my old 93 body). They are large holes and they can invite rust over decades of time. I wish the rear body was flared out about an inch more than they are, but the door there makes it really hard to modify.

Projectthread056.JPG

Back