95 limited 4.0 PUSHROD swap with99 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 limited 4.0 PUSHROD swap with99 SOHC

Aaron_C_43

Reaction score
City, State
Albany Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Mazda Navajo
1st off, I apologize if this is posted previous. I am losing my vision and have hard times at times trying to read.
So I have a 95 limited 4.0 PUSHROD. For almost the last year it has pretty much run like crap. I have changed many things and with vision loss also comes the frustration of not being able to work on things as I could 5 years ago. So simply put, would a 99 SOHC Drop into a 95 limited 4.0 without to much hassle or being extremely not worth the trouble ?
I appreciate the opinions and whatever points someone can bring up here to help with decision.
The current motoridlw surge, rough idle then smooth , idle up then down, on the road it sounds like backfires in the exhaust. I have ideas of what's wrong, but can't afford t tear into it on a hunch. 230,000 miles. I replaced IAC, EGR Vac solinoid, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, checked for vacuum leaks best I can for being legally blind.
I'm not usually one to ask for help, but here it is. What do you guys think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Aaron, and what is your budget, and plans for the truck years from now?

The SOHC engine swap wouldn't be easy or cheap, nor would it be more reliable. I drove a low mileage 95 Limited in 1998 when I was first wanting a nice Explorer. That drove wonderfully, smooth ride and comfortable. So I know how nice these can be.

Make plans for a big budget, any engine swap with used parts will still be complicated and likely cost at least $1500 depending on your parts sources, and skills(your own labor).

The 98-01 Explorers were the most reliable when had with the 302/4R70W trans. Those can last far longer than the vehicles themselves. The V6 transmissions are weak links in any version of an older Explorer. I would suggest if you can find a 98-01 high optioned Explorer or Mountaineer, you will be far more satisfied ling term, it will be way easier and faster, plus may not cost much more.

I've swapped some parts among Explorers, including the SOHC V6 etc. I will not own another one, unless it was to swap a 302 in its place. The 302 is worth the time and money to find, and to fix up. They will last longer, and they have more support.

Welcome Aaron, and what is your budget, and plans for the truck years from now?

The SOHC engine swap wouldn't be easy or cheap, nor would it be more reliable. I drove a low mileage 95 Limited in 1998 when I was first wanting a nice Explorer. That drove wonderfully, smooth ride and comfortable. So I know how nice these can be.

Make plans for a big budget, any engine swap with used parts will still be complicated and likely cost at least $1500 depending on your parts sources, and skills(your own labor).

The 98-01 Explorers were the most reliable when had with the 302/4R70W trans. Those can last far longer than the vehicles themselves. The V6 transmissions are weak links in any version of an older Explorer. I would suggest if you can find a 98-01 high optioned Explorer or Mountaineer, you will be far more satisfied ling term, it will be way easier and faster, plus may not cost much more.

I've swapped some parts among Explorers, including the SOHC V6 etc. I will not own another one, unless it was to swap a 302 in its place. The 302 is worth the time and money to find, and to fix up. They will last longer, and they have more support.
Well, a budget ? Haha. I'm actually swapping an SOHC for a friend. Hers a 99, has an issue she couldn't handle. The rear chain guide passenger side is making hella rattling noise. I'm assuming it's loose. So when I swap another into her truck I thought I would consider her good running SOHC to swap into mine after I fix the chain guide. Mostly because I'm just tired of my truck running crappy. Long term- since I can no longer drive I would use it as when I need a store run, when I can get someone to drive me. When I first got the truck trans was bad and I knew it. I had a local shop I know owner did me a rebuild and he said he bumped it to the 5R55, it doesn't even have 3000 miles on rebuild after 2 1/2 yrs.

Given a choice I would not put a Ford SOHC 4.0L into anything. I'm in the process of replacing, or perhaps rebuilding, the SOHC 4.0L in my 2001 Sport Trac. Trust me, it's a hell of a lot of work requiring special tools, expensive parts and you need to be comfortable with the process, which is very complicated. Your friend's issue is very typical for the 4,0L SOHC engine. Replacing the timing chain components, and all the other things that should be done while your at it, and buying the special tools needed is going to run me around $2000 'ish and a used replacement engine will cost you around $800, IMO a used 4.0L SOHC engine (even one with relatively low miles) should have it's timing chain components replaced before installing it. If you don't you may soon find yourself in the same position in the not-to-distance future and your "friend" will not be pleased with your efforts.

Well, a budget ? Haha. I'm actually swapping an SOHC for a friend. Hers a 99, has an issue she couldn't handle. The rear chain guide passenger side is making hella rattling noise. I'm assuming it's loose. So when I swap another into her truck I thought I would consider her good running SOHC to swap into mine after I fix the chain guide. Mostly because I'm just tired of my truck running crappy. Long term- since I can no longer drive I would use it as when I need a store run, when I can get someone to drive me. When I first got the truck trans was bad and I knew it. I had a local shop I know owner did me a rebuild and he said he bumped it to the 5R55, it doesn't even have 3000 miles on rebuild after 2 1/2 yrs.

Yeah, I was fishing to see how much in love with your truck, you are. In really nice shape they are worth saving, but for the cost it's much easier to just sell it and locate a better version. These are all old, so saying a 98-01 is the best you have to take with much thought, anything can be abused to death.

My recent 98 Limited purchase was abused, but I have tons of parts to handle anything. I can build my own transmissions too, so some things matter while others don't. Mine has a bad transfer case(AWD) which is almost common now at this age. Rebuilding those and some other parts is a problem, paying for them from some other source can be expensive. It's part of caring for an older car.

Swapping anything into that 95 will be trouble, unless it's another identical OHV V6 and trans. Other swaps will mean big wiring changes, and all of that adds to the time and costs. Think about it for a while, and browse for 98-01 Explorers during that time. Maybe the choices and prices will give you an answer.

1st off, I apologize if this is posted previous. I am losing my vision and have hard times at times trying to read.
So I have a 95 limited 4.0 PUSHROD. For almost the last year it has pretty much run like crap. I have changed many things and with vision loss also comes the frustration of not being able to work on things as I could 5 years ago. So simply put, would a 99 SOHC Drop into a 95 limited 4.0 without to much hassle or being extremely not worth the trouble ?
I appreciate the opinions and whatever points someone can bring up here to help with decision.
The current motoridlw surge, rough idle then smooth , idle up then down, on the road it sounds like backfires in the exhaust. I have ideas of what's wrong, but can't afford t tear into it on a hunch. 230,000 miles. I replaced IAC, EGR Vac solinoid, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, checked for vacuum leaks best I can for being legally blind.
I'm not usually one to ask for help, but here it is. What do you guys think.
The ohv is a very good, reliable engine.
The sohc needs words that won't be allowed on the forum. Others gave good advice. It is old news since 2000.

Did you clean the maf on the truck? How about fuel pressure?
The WORST that could happen to the OHV is cracked heads, and that can be easily done with the engine in the truck.

Saturate the inside throttle body / plate etc with cleaner and see if that does the trick...these OHV engines last till 400,000 and beyond if you don't badly overheat them.

The ohv is a very good, reliable engine.
The sohc needs words that won't be allowed on the forum. Others gave good advice. It is old news since 2000.

Did you clean the maf on the truck? How about fuel pressure?
The WORST that could happen to the OHV is cracked heads, and that can be easily done with the engine in the truck.

Ditto, your engine is very reliable, and when taken care of, the transmission is the only worry. If you are satisfied with the transmission now, spend more time figuring out what the engine issue is.

Go through the basic tune up stuff, and then begin checking basic things like fuel pressure, and clean the IAC, MAF carefully, replace front O2 sensors. Inspect the vacuum lines very carefully, the plastic ones are all very brittle, and the rubber lines are very old too and may be leaking.

I agree with the comments made regarding the 4.0L OHV V6 engine. It's a far more reliable platform than the SOHC engine, with cracked heads being the biggest issue they seem to have. Replacing the heads isn't that expensive or difficult. With regular maintenance the OHV engine can last 400K+.

a 5.0L V8 swap is the same amount of work but with bigger rewards in the end vs the SOHC conversion

a 5.0L V8 swap is the same amount of work but with bigger rewards in the end vs the SOHC conversion

Can't argue with that. Love my V8's.

Haters :banghead:
It's threads like this that make me want to cancel my subscription on this forum
It's funny we.
Never broke a. Shoc
But a friend killed his v8 timing chain lol it's true
Ohc cracked heads
Shoc still going strong it's a wonder why it's still going if I listened too this form that engine would have jumped out oh the engine bay and killed my whole family

Now I said my peace
I would never do this swap to much work if you can replace the whole truck unless you are attached to it like my wife ..her first truck...which I would do anything for her my 2¢

We love the SOHC engine, it is a good engine! The bottom end and rotating assembly are bombproof, the 4.0 portion of the engine is capable of well over 400K miles... its just all the dang timing tensioners and guides that stink to high heck! Plus its still mated to the 5r automatic.....which sucks, more power, same ol automatic....

BUT us seasoned veteran guys know that for every sohc on here getting a bad wrap there are about 10,000 trouble free engines still on the road.
we have done it all, we are running SOHC engines in Gen I rangers and explorers now, they are getting boosted, I have even seen them with a cosworth intake manifold and CARBURETOR!!! But they all still have the cologne transmission bellhousing, so you have to dump a ton of $$$ into the small V6 auto trans or run the high horsepower rev happy six through the mazda 5 speed = time bombs.

I simply prefer to run the v8 and the larger stronger transmissions, its simple. if you are going to do all of that work, unless you are crazy in love with the sohc I would prefer the 8 and its transmission choices.
There I said my piece
Cant we all just get along? LOL LOL no need to cancel a subscription that is just silly talk

We love the SOHC engine, it is a good engine! The bottom end and rotating assembly are bombproof, the 4.0 portion of the engine is capable of well over 400K miles... its just all the dang timing tensioners and guides that stink to high heck! Plus its still mated to the 5r automatic.....which sucks, more power, same ol automatic....

BUT us seasoned veteran guys know that for every sohc on here getting a bad wrap there are about 10,000 trouble free engines still on the road.
we have done it all, we are running SOHC engines in Gen I rangers and explorers now, they are getting boosted, I have even seen them with a cosworth intake manifold and CARBURETOR!!! But they all still have the cologne transmission bellhousing, so you have to dump a ton of $$$ into the small V6 auto trans or run the high horsepower rev happy six through the mazda 5 speed = time bombs.

I simply prefer to run the v8 and the larger stronger transmissions, its simple. if you are going to do all of that work, unless you are crazy in love with the sohc I would prefer the 8 and its transmission choices.
There I said my piece
Cant we all just get along? LOL LOL no need to cancel a subscription that is just silly talk

You saw that guy in Europe doing the DOHC 4.0 also? I wish he had gone away from the carb, the EFI was the best way if he could have found a tuner. My worry on that was the 2.9 DOHC heads were too small for the four liters. If they could be made to flow 300cfm, then that would have been a killer V6. But the trans still is the A4LD child. If a person went there, a plate would be the answer and use a 4R70W. John here with the 18psi SOHC might need to ponder on that, if his 5R ever gave him any trouble. So far it's been flawless after he rebuilt it.

Aaron

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that MANY OHV 4.0 engines came from the factory with one or more improperly torqued intake manifold bolts. Usually found on the driver’s side. A leaking intake manifold will produce the symptoms you are describing. If the manifold bolts are torqued properly and early enough you won’t experience gasket or o-ring failures or burnt valves or head damage.
I’ve found this problem on at least a dozen OHV 4.0 engines over the years..

Back