• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer accessories/parts?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone know a good place? Looking for OE or aftermarket crossbars, bumper protectors, mud flaps, etc. without the hassle and cost of dealing with my local dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure why any of those should create a hassle with the dealer but there are several sites you can go to in order to get accessories/parts. Many have used eBay or Amazon. Then there is the Ford Parts site, Parts.Ford.com | The Ford Parts Site | Buy OEM Ford Parts Online‎ and/or AutoNation Ford. I'm sure the Internet has many other places listed as well. You may run into some problems getting things for a 2020 because it is so new. What kind of bumper protectors are you looking for? I believe all 2020 models have a rear bumper protector built in.

Peter

lb5z-17b807-a-20190612175929_336x248.jpg

Bumper protector.

The OE cross bars are $275. Seems a bit steep. But as of now, the only game in town. I would have ordered these with the Explorer but ended up buying one of the dealer stock that is due to come in shortly.

I'd also like to get the mudflaps. So far weathertech doesn't have any floor mats or cargo mats.

I'm not sure if you are only talking about the crossbars or also the bumper protector as pictured.
If also the bumper protector, the only problem with those is that they do not cover the lip of the bumper. That was the same issue with earlier models and why several members opted to go with the BMC one that does protect the lip from gouges/scratches. Rear Bumper Protectors
However, as I mentioned, the 2020 Explorers already come with a protector so I don't know how the accessory ones would fit. Would like to see the finished product if you go ahead.

Peter

Peter - and everyone else who has researched deeply the 2020 Explorers - I was wondering if you knew if they already came with a cargo shade [cover] or not. Or, are there even slots for a shade so one might be purchased later? I've always had a a shade in my previous non Ford SUV's, but we are making the switch at some point to a 2020 Explorer and like the idea of having our stuff not visible from the outside.

In my research and all the pictures/videos I have seen, I couldn't find them as something standard and no place to add as an accessory.

I believe [please don't hold me to this] for the previous gen, they were available.

Thank you all...

Thanks Peter. I guess I'll wait to get the vehicle before I think about the bumper protector.

Peter - and everyone else who has researched deeply the 2020 Explorers - I was wondering if you knew if they already came with a cargo shade [cover] or not. Or, are there even slots for a shade so one might be purchased later? I've always had a a shade in my previous non Ford SUV's, but we are making the switch at some point to a 2020 Explorer and like the idea of having our stuff not visible from the outside.

In my research and all the pictures/videos I have seen, I couldn't find them as something standard and no place to add as an accessory.

I believe [please don't hold me to this] for the previous gen, they were available.

Thank you all...
The cargo shade was only included with my 2011 Limited. Neither my previous 2014 MKT nor my current 2017 Platinum came with one. Here is what the 2020 Owner's Manual shows;
Use the cargo shade to cover items in the
cargo area of your vehicle.
Insert the ends of the cargo shade into the
mounting features located behind the rear
seat on the rear trim panels to install the
cargo shade.

It doesn't mention if the vehicle comes with the shade.
The same installation note is also in my2017 Manual but it shows the cargo shade under Accessories. Iy does not in the 2020 Manual.

Peter

The cargo shade was only included with my 2011 Limited. Neither my previous 2014 MKT nor my current 2017 Platinum came with one. Here is what the 2020 Owner's Manual shows;
Use the cargo shade to cover items in the
cargo area of your vehicle.
Insert the ends of the cargo shade into the
mounting features located behind the rear
seat on the rear trim panels to install the
cargo shade.

It doesn't mention if the vehicle comes with the shade.
The same installation note is also in my2017 Manual but it shows the cargo shade under Accessories. Iy does not in the 2020 Manual.

Peter

Ah - a little promising.

Guilty of overlooking finer details in the manual.

Thank you...

Ah - a little promising.

Guilty of overlooking finer details in the manual.

Thank you...
That's why I find it better to download the Manuals to my desktop. I just brought up the 2020 Manual and did a 'Find" on "Cargo Shade" and there it was.:)

Peter

I can confirm that the ST does not include a cargo area shade as standard equipment. Can’t speak for the other trim lines.

EDIT: I stand corrected. A fabric cargo cover is included. In a plastic bag I didn’t open until today. Has loops at the corners to hang on 4 hooks on the interior side trim panels at about the height of the 3rd row seatbacks.

Personally, I’m watching the Husky site for floor mats and Weathertech for mud flaps.

lb5z-17b807-a-20190612175929_336x248.jpg

Bumper protector.

The OE cross bars are $275. Seems a bit steep. But as of now, the only game in town. I would have ordered these with the Explorer but ended up buying one of the dealer stock that is due to come in shortly.

I'd also like to get the mudflaps. So far weathertech doesn't have any floor mats or cargo mats.

If I go with the Explorer, I'll sell you mine at a discount. I originally ordered the bars because I was going to get a storage box for the top for our skis/poles etc. But now I'm thinking of getting a hitch style mount where the skis mount vertically. If I do that, I won't need the bars.

Still interested in the crossbars but still awaiting my Explorer to come in. I guess I don't need the bumper protector. Thanks Cpainter3! Glad to know it's built in.

Still interested in the crossbars but still awaiting my Explorer to come in. I guess I don't need the bumper protector. Thanks Cpainter3! Glad to know it's built in.
Not sure what version you’re ordering, but in my opinion anyone driving a black or magnetic ST with crossbars installed will have drivers up ahead vacating the passing lane because it will have the profile of an Interceptor with a light bar. And the red ST badge seen in the rear view mirror will just add to the illusion.

So I put my order in for crossbars with the Ford accessories site which then asks you to pick a local dealer. Local dealer contacts me and says it is currently unavailable. Wow. Good thing is, there is a lot more cargo space behind the 2nd row compared to my wife's Audi Q5 that we may not need the roof cargo box for our annual summer trip.

I see that the maximum weight on the roof rack / crossbars for the 2020 has been increased versus the 5th gen. It is now 75 lbs. with a moonroof and 165 lbs. without a moonroof.

Peter

Thanks for that info Peter. 75lbs is not a lot!!! My roof box probably weighs 45lb. Doesn't leave me much weight for stored items if you keep to the weight limits.

I'm quite sure that the limits have nothing to do with the strength of the roof but more to do with the stability of the vehicle when weight is added to the top of it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't yet taken delivery of my 2020 Explorer, but I purchased my first accessory. It's a genuine Ford trailer-hitch cap to plug the ugly, open receiver you'll see on the tail of every Explorer equipped with the towing package. If you want one, the Ford part number is 1L2Z-17F000-CA.

Ford Hitch Plug.jpg

Back