Emergency tranny and engine swap 96 to 99 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency tranny and engine swap 96 to 99

Are you sure the 99's engine is blown? You said oil was coming out of the intake manifold, that does not necessarily mean the engine is ruined. Does it run? Is the transmission also dead?

Is the 99 also 4WD? good transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

curious of progress or outcome.

"Red" is at least suspension wise and body wise fairly nice looks good she has an engine in her but there's oil coming out of the blower holes when you put your finger in the Louver you can see grease and oil so I'm assuming her engine is blown.

Does this vehicle have forced induction (turbo/blower)? Could this be the source of the stray oil? It would make a motor act awful sick, and be a world easier to fix..

Does this vehicle have forced induction (turbo/blower)? Could this be the source of the stray oil? It would make a motor act awful sick, and be a world easier to fix..

I seriously doubt it. Explorer's never came from the factory with turbos/superchargers (well at least until the Ecoboosts dropped into the 5th gens) It might be a bad PCV valve, bad lower intake gaskets, or worst case piston blowby.

Just wish we had bit more intel about the orig problem...maybe there's a gang-wizzo solution in that direction...

Unfortunately the OP has yet to come back to the table with further information and her deadline passed 3 days ago. It would be nice to have closure on this and see if she was able to accomplish such a feat in the time left, but we may never know. :dunno:

Since I recently joined, I've had the chance to do some power-browsing, and I've seen a pretty impressive body of work. This shout-out, however, was the biggest challenge I've come across. I hope things worked out (some sort of truce) but, until the Explorer's Club develops an air-borne response unit, there's only so much that can be done. Tip o' me cap for a noble effort...

SOOOOO,

I just wrote a thank you post to everyone. was long and bla bla bla, coudn't find this thread saved the draft now can't find draft,...........long story short.

I still got the trucks, 96' (LB)and 99" (RED), THANK YOU MR. Q and 410fortune!!!!!!! And all the rest that wanted updates!!!! I apologize for the late reply....I had read one that said NO WAY YOU CAN't do it and I was under so much stress that I just gave up on the forum.....SORRY NOW I KNOW!!!!!

I am leaving AK, going to continue the plan and drive the kids and I down the "ALCAN" by October 15th snow hits by Halloween gotta be outta here b4 winter.

I will be posting pics of engine and undercarage of both trucks,

Thank you for asking and Yes! I have all the tail lights have to re wire some stuff and ect. I will also be going through MR.Q and 410 Fortunes lists and give a progress report at picture posting time.
(99')

Oil is coming out of the Intake manifold(i believe, where a carburator should be with a flapper?) i put my finger in thenflapper oil comes out what does this mean?
can I rebuild it while its in it? then transfer the engines? I also blew the transfer case April (yes theres friggin blizzards in April in AK. :( ) but i have been driving in 2 since and I'm pretty sure its not rebuildable but unknown.

So I am very good at working on vehicles they like me, I am HORRIBLE at remembering names and things so alot of pics will be coming. THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO HAVE HELPED, AND THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO WILL!!
till tonight. (morning your time probably)

Den

Since I recently joined, I've had the chance to do some power-browsing, and I've seen a pretty impressive body of work. This shout-out, however, was the biggest challenge I've come across. I hope things worked out (some sort of truce) but, until the Explorer's Club develops an air-borne response unit, there's only so much that can be done. Tip o' me cap for a noble effort...
LMAO!!!!

"airborne response unit"

okay,.....thats next on my list.
gotta get truck down the "Alcan" first.

;) Den

Unfortunately the OP has yet to come back to the table with further information and her deadline passed 3 days ago. It would be nice to have closure on this and see if she was able to accomplish such a feat in the time left, but we may never know. :dunno:

SOOOO sorry. Im back tho, I was being a baby over some discouraging posts. I am just a girl after all....HAHAHA! tee heee hee, JOKE

I got until October 15th then Kids and I are getting to the lower 48. GOTTA GO! I hate it here and probably wouldn't make another winter. Depression alone would get me. ON A BETTER NOTE I HAVE 2 MONTHS!!

Just curious...wouldn't it be easier to swap all the removable body panels/parts, interior and wheels?
Store the parts and replace as time allows?

I started to do that but the 96 now leans (shocks) and is rusting all over, the 99 is in real good shape and can handle the drive from AK to Ohio. Thank you tho for the idea. I might b able to keep the 99s engine in it if I can figure out what shape its in.
Den

What drivetrain is is the red truck without the taillights in it?

Oooh i don't know the 96 has that special yoke and transfer case only available in the 96 an 95. when i got Red (99) tranny transfercase were taken I still have her drive line and all the rest.
Den

curious of progress or outcome.
so sorry I am back.Lots of Drama / am back to finish, the job. I did however hardwire a New built in Amp and 10' woofer. hid it under glove box sticks out a bit. but after / put a hang kerchief on it and some trash Noone the wiser! (window doesn't(driver) roll up right now.

Are you sure the 99's engine is blown? You said oil was coming out of the intake manifold, that does not necessarily mean the engine is ruined. Does it run? Is the transmission also dead?

K, so I got Red (99) for doing a Gmaps page for my relief Mechanic. He is too busy to help I asked. He gave me Red in exchange.

Sheś got No tranny or transfer case, she has battery power but Ignition is fudged. They apparently repoed her. I will have to switch ignitions.

Any way to start her without key? I'll post pictures in about an 1 hr to 1 1/2 ok please let me know what pictures you would need?Thanks so very much for your help!!!!

I don't know how do I find out pictures are coming too

I just swapped transfer case from a 99 to my 96, and you will have blinking o/d light and engine light will be on and no speedometer due to 96 transfer case having speed sensor on it and the 99 does not. But everything else worked fine, anyone know a way around the sensor to get it to make the stuff work? these are ford explorers

LOLWhats a "gang-wizzo''

That's where we all don our sacred robes and pointy hats (think "Harry Potter-ish") and, across time and space, we invoke the power of spirits that inhabit trees, rocks, and infuriating mechanical devices to arrive at collective solutions..:laugh:..

(there's also an obscure reference to beer-kegs and brushfires, but let's not invoke that image..)
laugh[1].gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TE="ibstang, post: 3785328, member: 348620"]That's where we all don our sacred robes and pointy hats (think "Harry Potter-ish") and, across time and space, we invoke the power of spirits that inhabit trees, rocks, and infuriating mechanical devices to arrive at collective solutions..:laugh:..
(there's also an obscure reference to beer-kegs and brushfires, but let's not invoke that image..) View attachment 172697[/QUOTE]

☹️. CAN I GO.
Please! What a wonderful world that'd be.

Back