Transmission leak not covered under 5 yr/50,000 powertrain warranty?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission leak not covered under 5 yr/50,000 powertrain warranty?!

Jim Norton

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
My wife's 2016 Explorer has been leaking transmission fluid from the transmission cooler in small quantities to the point of the transmission slipping.

I took the vehicle in for repair under the 5 yr/50,000 mile powertrain warranty. But to my surprise Ford states "the leak is caused by an air conditioner part which is only covered by the 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty." They can't repair under warranty. What?!

I then knowingly ask if the transmission fluid leaks out without repair will the powertrain fail? Ford's response "yes."

Long story short we are currently in our 5th week of attempting repair and are now in dispute. Our local Firestone could have repaired this in a day. Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1st, welcome to the forum

2nd, you have your warranty terms all messed up. Powertrain is 5yr/60,000 miles and bumper to bumper is 3yr/36,000 miles.

How does an AC unit cause your transmission to leak? That part I do not understand. However on the flip side, if this is indeed true, then Ford is correct. If a non covered part damages anything, that repair would not be covered under warranty.

It works the opposite way too.. if a covered part fails and takes out a non covered part, that non covered part would be repaired under warranty. It all comes down to the root cause of the failure and if that root cause is covered.

We need more information than the AC system caused your trans to leak.

Thanks. I too am scratching my head why a component of the AC would cause the tranny to leak. From my observation transmission fluid droplets are present below the transmission cooler. Never would have imagined the AC would be in the equation.

Also remember in a lot of cases the Ford Dealer is the investigative reference for the "Covered Repair" Unless you ca get a third party inspection who is not on Ford Payroll including local dealers what they say goes. The Ford dealer is of course going to investigate and come up with any possible outcome to avoid them having to pay out a warranty claim. especially a high dollar claim like Transmission.

With that said I am at a loss how A/C leak can cause transmission fluid leak other than the transmission cooler or come A/C component in that area, Condenser or Evaporator is the only parts that come to mind. Compressor is on the block side. Make sure that Fire Stone takes good notes and even photos if necessary even if you have to take it over to them. Problem is getting dealer to release vehicle without either repairing in full and of course payment or sending out as is and taking over to independent facility to get a "Second Opinion" It could be pricey but you might want to consider a "Third Opinion that is neither Ford dealer or Fire Stone.....I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE PEPBOYS....Especially Cooling/A/C....I personally wouldn't trust them to diagnose a bowl of Chicken Soup but especially nothing cooling system related.....Ask me how I know!!

Remember pretty much every warranty is written by the manufacturers and pretty much exclude "Collateral damage" even if the failed component caused the secondary damage. Example and possibly extreme example...….Piston goes through the block, valve cover or lets say Valve goes through the valve cover and through the hood. They will cover the Piston but probably not the valvetrain damage and hood damage even though the damage was associated with the primary fail.

Worst comes to worst you might have to get social media and even the Local Media involved

The transmission cooler shares the ac condenser. I would double check the cooler bypass valve assembly to see if it was not leaking from it.

The transmission cooler shares the ac condenser. I would double check the cooler bypass valve assembly to see if it was not leaking from it.

If the trans cooler is integrated with the AC condenser, is it a trans part or an AC part?

You got peanut butter on my chocolate. No, you got chocolate on my peanut butter...

If the trans cooler is leaking, I would pursue it with Ford. A demand letter from an attorney would likely bring it to a quick resolution. If you don't get anywhere, you can probably bypass the integrated trans cooler easily with an add on unit.

The add on external filter would be the most economical way to go if Ford is denying the warranty claim. Good luck.
Brad

Try another dealer?

If it's an obvious leak then I'd drain the transmission to where it doesn't move then have it towed to the dealership with a transmission problem.

If it's an obvious leak then I'd drain the transmission to where it doesn't move then have it towed to the dealership with a transmission problem.

Terrible advice. It has already been diagnosed (if properly) and documented that it is an AC leak. Anything further will still not be covered because of the leak until repaired properly.

Terrible advice. It has already been diagnosed (if properly) and documented that it is an AC leak. Anything further will still not be covered because of the leak until repaired properly.
According to op, it has a trans leak, not an AC leak.

The only reason the AC is part of the discussion is the fact that the trans cooler is integrated into the AC condenser. Unless I missed it, I see no mention of an AC leak.

The other alternative here is to play the long game. If the leak is substantial, just keep driving the vehicle as is while trans fluid leaks out until the trans goes out and then have it towed in for warranty trans repair. If enough fluid has leaked out already that the trans is slipping, it may not be far from a bigger and more spectacular failure. I would think the dealer would replace the condensor at that time as the liability of sending it out with a leak after trans repair/replacement is not in their favor.
Depending on current mileage and when warranty expires, of course.

According to op, it has a trans leak, not an AC leak.

The only reason the AC is part of the discussion is the fact that the trans cooler is integrated into the AC condenser. Unless I missed it, I see no mention of an AC leak.

The other alternative here is to play the long game. If the leak is substantial, just keep driving the vehicle as is while trans fluid leaks out until the trans goes out and then have it towed in for warranty trans repair. If enough fluid has leaked out already that the trans is slipping, it may not be far from a bigger and more spectacular failure. I would think the dealer would replace the condensor at that time as the liability of sending it out with a leak after trans repair/replacement is not in their favor.
Depending on current mileage and when warranty expires, of course.

What???

"the leak is caused by an air conditioner part which is only covered by the 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty"

Therefore if that part is causing the leak which causes further damage, it would not be covered and it is already documented by the dealer.

The a/c condenser and transmission cooler are combined in the same friggin part, look it up. I'd be going nuts if it wasn't covered under warranty unless there is obvious physical impact damage.

Since the condenser is part of the transmission system and you have trans fluid leaking, common sense says its a transmission problem and should be covered under powertrain warranty.
If you had a freon leak then it would be covered under the a/c warranty.
I think your dealer sucks and is trying to get you to pay out of pocket because he will make more money. I would go to a different dealer. As has been said on here before , all dealers are indipendantly owned and operated and you get vastly differant answers from one to another.
Please report back after Ford make their decision.

Since the condenser is part of the transmission system and you have trans fluid leaking, common sense says its a transmission problem and should be covered under powertrain warranty.
If you had a freon leak then it would be covered under the a/c warranty.
I think your dealer sucks and is trying to get you to pay out of pocket because he will make more money. I would go to a different dealer. As has been said on here before , all dealers are indipendantly owned and operated and you get vastly differant answers from one to another.
Please report back after Ford make their decision.

The AC warranty is 3yr/36k which is he past and is why the dealer is denying him warranty.

What???

"the leak is caused by an air conditioner part which is only covered by the 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty"

Therefore if that part is causing the leak which causes further damage, it would not be covered and it is already documented by the dealer.
Unless I missed it, there is no AC leak. There is only a trans leak. Regardless of how the part that the trans fluid is leaking from is classified, it is still a trans leak, not an AC leak.

Op has numerous options and needs to make a decision how they want to proceed.

I agree with KG. Transmission fluid leak....Transmission fluid.. Period That means Power Train doesn't matter how they want to spin it, get Ford Corporate and if nothing Else Social and even better...Local media,,,,,Investigative reporters love to eat corporations and local dealers up on the news.

So going by that logic, if the radiator leaks coolant that should be covered under the powertrain since the coolant goes through the engine and waterpump.. and guess what, the radiator is covered under the 3yr/36k.

From the warranty guide for a 2016 Explorer:
(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

It doesn't include the transmission cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As with far too many threads here, there is a huge lack of details and a bunch of pissing and moaning.

To the op - where is the leak? Damaged tubing or at a connection/seal?

If seal, hopefully an easy fix. If cracked/damaged tubing, you have several options already mentioned. Please report back so everyone can stop assuming and posturing.

Just for the record, I never said it was a covered powertrain part. I just clarified that it was a trans leak and said pursue it or just get an external cooler installed and bypass the built in one.

Back