• Register Today It's free!

Rubbing/creaking sound

Jenikins

Reaction score
City, State
Moorpark, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2017 limited
Hi all! I am new here and was hoping to get some help - hopefully a solution so that I can go back to loving my explorer. I have a 2017 limited explorer. For almost a year now there has been a rubbing/creaking noise coming from somewhere in the back of my car. I believe it might be the plastic of the tailgate but it’s very hard to determine where it is coming from when you are driving! Has anyone dealt with a similar sound? What was the culprit? For the record, I’ve moved the chairs up and down to see if it’s worse or better with no luck. Pushed on the sunroof to make sure nothing is loose up there - and it’s silent.

On my 2014 I have a creak sound that can be heard at the back of the vehicle whenever driving slow over minor bumps.

I found if I lift up on the rear fender enough to cause the suspension to move a small amount I can re-create it when parked.

Unfortunately I haven’t had someone else present to assist with the lifting while I crawl underneath and pinpoint the source, but I believe it’s either a control arm or sway bar.

Hi all! I am new here and was hoping to get some help - hopefully a solution so that I can go back to loving my explorer. I have a 2017 limited explorer. For almost a year now there has been a rubbing/creaking noise coming from somewhere in the back of my car. I believe it might be the plastic of the tailgate but it’s very hard to determine where it is coming from when you are driving! Has anyone dealt with a similar sound? What was the culprit? For the record, I’ve moved the chairs up and down to see if it’s worse or better with no luck. Pushed on the sunroof to make sure nothing is loose up there - and it’s silent.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you know if the noise is inside or outside? Maybe you could have someone 'bounce' the back end to see if you can isolate it.

Peter

Back