Starter replacement

RSNovi

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Limited 4WD
Hi,

Anyone have any information on replacing the starter on a 2017 2.3 Ecoboost? I haven’t been able to find any information to even start such as where is the starter located. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warranty?
Seems too early for new starter. I'd get it checked out. Never replaced one in 21 years of driving ....

Hi,

Anyone have any information on replacing the starter on a 2017 2.3 Ecoboost? I haven’t been able to find any information to even start such as where is the starter located. Thanks.
Not sure if this will help. It's on a 2011. 2011 Starting Issues

Peter

The transmission went out while driving just outside of warranty a few months ago. I had to have the transmission replaced on my dime through the dealer. Afterwards the starter has been weak and recently is barely starting the car. What I think happened was the transmission locked up not allowing the engine to rotate. When my wife was stranded on the side of the road she pressed the push button start a number of times. Who knows how long the starter was energized on each start attempt and could not rotate the engine.

When I finally got to her I could smell hot electrical, but it turns out the transmission had a catastrophic failure.

The dealer wants $650 to replace the starter which is hard to swallow after the transmission.

I would start simple and test the battery first. If you hit the start button and the starter does not turn the engine it will not stay engaged like the old days. If it fail to start the stater will disengage and not eat itself.

I like your idea of starting with the battery. I think they do this with a typical oil change. Do you know?

Just before the transmission blew we had put a new battery in so I was thinking the battery should be in good shape.

Auto Zone can test it or most car parts stores can do it. Most of the time they do it for free.

Out of 60k power train warranty on a 17? Sorry to hear about your woes, but in hindsight, it seems like an extended warranty would have been money well spent in your case.

If you don't know what you are doing, you may want to find a reputable Indy shop that can assist you in diagnosing and troubleshooting the actual problem instead of guessing or relying on some counter jockeys opinions at a local AutoZone.

Did you take it to the dealer that did the trans work? Are they the ones quoting 650 for the starter? What was their diagnosis/reason for wanting to replace the starter?

The full story is that we were at 62k miles when the transmission failed. It sat on a hoist for a month while I tried to work with Ford. Ford kept saying work with the dealership and the dealership kept saying call Ford.

I had to pay $4500 for the transmission to be replaced. Ford did offer some support, but I think the dealership was shady. At one time they told me the whole bill was $17k for the repair, but I only had to pay $4500. They never could provide an itemized bill. After a month we needed the car back so I just paid it. I now no longer want to go back to that dealership.

My wife scheduled an oil change with another dealer and she asked them if it needed a new starter what would it cost. They came back with the $650 quote, but no diagnosis on their side was done.

Thanks for talking this through with me.

Battery tested below specs so we had it replaced. It was less than a year old so still under warranty. We figured that would be it, but when my wife got the car back it still starts very slow.

I popped the hood and checked things out. The starter is right behind the radiator cooling fans. Looks quite easy to replace. Won't even need to jack the car up. Pull it out from the top.

I ran some voltage drop tests on the positive and negative starter cables and they all checked good. I think the next step is to replace the starter.

Thanks for the update.

Back