• Register Today It's free!

Transfercase swap 96-99 explorer

Huntnwabits

Reaction score
City, State
WINSTON SALEM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
Ok I swapped the cases from a 99 to my 96 explorer, well of course the 96 had a speed sensor on the case, The 99 does not. so now my speedometer isn't working and O/D light is flashing, wont go into over drive. So now my question is if I can take the 2 wires that went to the sensor run them to either the Tranny or rear end sensor, to make it work? or is there another way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And this is the reason I looked high and low to find a correct case for my 96.

Hope it works out for you. Did you also have to swap the front driveshafts?

And this is the reason I looked high and low to find a correct case for my 96.

Hope it works out for you. Did you also have to swap the front driveshafts?
yeh I did the drive shaft, but I also coulda used mine from the 96 if I swapped the knuckle

Still have the 96 case? You can swap the case half to the 99 case and have a vss again.

@410Fortune does this case split mod, involve anything to do with the internal speed gear for the vss?
yeah , I did all this in a 6 hour period took out of 99 put in my 96, wasn't even thinking of changing the case for the sensor. don't think it would work if I spliced into the rear axle sensor?

Pretty sure it wont. Your ECM & GEM are involved with this system, and those are two different systems.

On the 99, the rear sensor is the ABS as well as the speed sensor, and that system is involved in the speed calibration for the gauge. The ECM is tuned for the gearing ratio, and tire size by revs/mile.

On the 96, the calibration is mechanical with a small gear on the VSS, and a larger gear in the case, then is converted to a pulse signal to get the speed. It is also tied into the transmission and GEM, and tells the transmission what gear to be in.

no it wont work if you splice the rear axle sensor, the 96 computer is looking for the VSS signal to come from the t case mounted VSS sensor.
The only way around this is with aftermarket parts, wiring in a aftermarket speedometer correction/signal device
OR you need to re install the back half of your old 96 t case onto the back of the new 99 t case so that the new 99 t case now has a 96 style drive gear and sensor
Something I have done more then 10 times.
96-97 trucks MUST have the vss in the tailhousing or the PCM will not be happy. The trucks computer does not know you are moving, so when you start to move it freaks out.....causing erratic shifting and no 4x4

you should
park the 99 case next to the 96 case while they are both out
take the 96 case apart
take the 99 case apart
install the back half of the 96 Case onto the new 99 case
Silicon to make a gasket and then bolt the 99 case back together

now your 99 case has a vss in the tailhousing

You CANNOT repair a 96-97 any other way (easily)

you should
park the 99 case next to the 96 case while they are both out
take the 96 case apart
take the 99 case apart
install the back half of the 96 Case onto the new 99 case
Silicon to make a gasket and then bolt the 99 case back together

now your 99 case has a vss in the tailhousing

You CANNOT repair a 96-97 any other way (easily)
yeh ty to all your responses , that's exactly what im doing putting other half on it. but now got to pull it back out lol.. but really easy imo. much easier on my 96 than the 99. I had to cut one of the exhaust pipes since it was dual exhaust on the 99. getting in the way of top bolt on transfer case.

If you drop the transmission cross member and let the trans and t case hang down a bit the top bolts become alot easier to get at on all of these trucks, V6 and V8
It makes removal and installation ALOT easier
Always use a good gasket, if you use just gasket maker the t case can be a really hard to remove

Also a 3/8" drive with extension and a wobbly ca get at that hard to access bolt above the exhaust
OR
you can reach your arm over the whole t case from the drivers side and get that last bolt with a 13mm speed wrench

I can drop a V6 t case in like 30 minutes :)
Of course it took a few tries to learn these tricks (like 25 years worth)

Back