• Register Today It's free!

Sport to ST question

msams8979

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
I have a '14 Sport. Had it for 6 years now. (got it August of '13). I went and looked at an ST over the weekend. Note I didn't get to drive it.

So my question is: those that had a Sport and now have an ST, was it worth it to you "upgrading"?

The side profile is very similar as is much of the interior. I'm just not seeing much of an incentive to drop $55k. Honestly I felt a little underwhelmed. Maybe that changes once I drive it.

For reference my Sport is the base model without the cooled seats, no push button start, no power light gate, ECT.

Am I the only one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m not coming from quite the same place - I was debating the 5th gen vs. waiting for a ‘20. In the end I couldn’t justify the wait or the higher cost and got a great deal on a ‘19. I think it will depend on what you think when you drive a ‘20 compared to what you have. To be honest I was happy they didn’t change the exterior a lot because I think a major change would have been a step backwards, and I was also very lukewarm on the tech package. Just couldn’t justify the extra money in my case.

Side by the side, the exterior changes are dramatic. The 2020 looks way better in every respect, but especially the new ST. Don't know how the old FWD explorer drives but can't imagine it would be anything close to a RWD based AWD system. Really loved my old BMW xdrive for that reason. I will say though that the ST sport tuned suspension could be a lot more aggressive. I feel like it does have considerable body roll and the shocks do not dampen enough.

The side profile has some changes compared to the 5th gen. especially the 'rake' of the roof line. The dash has been changed as has the console. The biggest changes are a new platform and rear wheel drive with AWD available. Also, the engine is now longitudinal meaning that the dreaded water pump/engine failure is no longer an issue.

Peter

I have a '14 Sport. Had it for 6 years now. (got it August of '13). I went and looked at an ST over the weekend. Note I didn't get to drive it.

So my question is: those that had a Sport and now have an ST, was it worth it to you "upgrading"?

The side profile is very similar as is much of the interior. I'm just not seeing much of an incentive to drop $55k. Honestly I felt a little underwhelmed. Maybe that changes once I drive it.

For reference my Sport is the base model without the cooled seats, no push button start, no power light gate, ECT.

Am I the only one?

The whole vehicle inside is completely different.. not even close. Are you sure you were looking at a 2020?

The dash to the doors, the center stack, the digital cluster, the shifting console area.. dont know how one could say they are similar.

Even things like the way the exterior door handles pull the doors, the locking of snt door from any door handle outside. There are just so many updates.. well worth the price increase.

Owned a '14 sport, currently drive '17 platinum, waiting on my ST...'patiently'...
The ST, strictly from a driving aspect, and specifically in sport mode, blows the doors of the driving experience of the '14 or '17.

Owned a '14 sport, currently drive '17 platinum, waiting on my ST...'patiently'...
The ST, strictly from a driving aspect, and specifically in sport mode, blows the doors of the driving experience of the '14 or '17.

Yeah, me myself almost blew off the doors of another Ford car while trying to pull out of the parked dealer lot. I pressed on gas just a little and it is pretty crazy how aggressively it pulled off almost smashing another truck. I had it in the sport mode. Then the brakes are almost too responsive with the slightest press on the brake pedal. Can't compare this to the 16 sport. I don't even know which truck will ST really compete with.

Yeah, me myself almost blew off the doors of another Ford car while trying to pull out of the parked dealer lot. I pressed on gas just a little and it is pretty crazy how aggressively it pulled off almost smashing another truck. I had it in the sport mode. Then the brakes are almost too responsive with the slightest press on the brake pedal. Can't compare this to the 16 sport. I don't even know which truck will ST really compete with.
No kidding, if you’re in Sport mode you really need to watch the throttle if making an “aggressive” left turn out of a parking lot or side street onto a main road. I can’t imagine what the torque steer would be like if it was still FWD biased.

Bought my ‘15 Sport brand new in Feb ‘15. Traded her in last Friday with 66k miles. The ST blows the ‘15 out of the water in every way possible. Definitely better looking exterior. Better tech package. Better brakes (hated my old brakes) with the street package. Better base package too. The only thing I’ll miss is the tuxedo black paint, but the agate will do just fine!

Congrats on the upgrade. Now all that's left is for you to do is update your profile. :)

Peter

Congrats on the upgrade. Now all that's left is for you to do is update your profile. :)

Peter

Lmao, bets on how many people get called out on that?

Lmao, bets on how many people get called out on that?
I figured you'd have a comment. Have been doing most of it now via PM.:D

Peter

Good to know.

I figured my opinion would be in the minority here but was curious to hear other's thoughts. Hopefully I can drive one soon.

All this said, I'll probably have one in my drive at some point. I'm sure my feelings will change as I start to see them on the road. It's also that sticker shock of paying $55k for an Explorer. Ouch!

Currently have a 2017 Explorer Sport and just purchased a 2020 Explorer ST. My wife drives the Sport and she is very happy with it. She has not had a chance to drive the ST. With the limited amount of time I have driven the Sport, I think the responsiveness, suspension and added driving features (adaptive cruise control, park assist, reverse assist braking, etc.) of the ST is worth the added cost.

Back