Proving Oil Changes? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proving Oil Changes?

You want a log book AND receipts, not one or the other. If you are concerned that isn't enough "proof", than take video of yourself doing the oil changes also or just pay someone else to do them.

I wouldn't waste money on oil analysis on a regular basis, but you should if there is a failure so there is some 'evidence' to show if it was oil related or not.

It's all about context.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Guys.

I get the log book thing and the records. But I was specifically told that was no good, and I needed RECEIPTS. I've managed to dig up every oil and filter purchase receipt (or get a duplicate), but that doesn't prove that the oil was actually changed. The dealership has accepted what I provided and has now actually started to "tear into the engine" (what that means, the service adviser can't tell me).

I get the oil analysis thing too, and I do that every year or so on my modified mustang and my Model-A, but for my wife's around town kid hauler/grocery getter I don't see the cost/benefit coming out in my favor.

Thanks,
Brian

Curious, did they ever give you an explanation of what is wrong with the engine? crankshaft, cracked block, etc...

A year ago I changed an engine for a customer, he went looking for a replacement engine himself and found me on craiglist selling one, then he paid me to install it. Why? Because the shop/mechanic he had been using for years told him he needed an engine. They wanted WAY MORE then his truck was worth to replace it......hmmmmm sounds to me like they just wanted him to go away because they could not figure out what was really wrong.
Well it turned out he did not need an engine he needed a fuel pump, his was weak and not making enough PSI to run any engine properly.

Just sayin....sometimes a second opinion cannot hurt. Ford dealerships are only as good as the service managers and mechanics working there and they are not always correct.......

After reading this I am glad I keep a log and receipts for oil and filters. Just takes a minute with each oil change to note it , the mileage , stuff the receipt in a envelope with the log, put it all in my car file. I do both my vehicles with synthetic oil , usually runs about $35-40 Cdn and my time for each. Buy the oil and filters on sale at Cdn tire. I know it is done right this way, levels matter, making sure everything is buttoned up and tight when I'm done. It also gives me a chance to look under the vehicle and see if anything is out of place, damaged etc.. Then again I'm retired so have lots of time, before retiring I let somebody else do it so I get why some leave it to others. Although sitting and waiting for an oil change even at a quicky lube takes time as well.

Back in 2000 I had a Windstar that required a new motor, nobody said a thing about oil changes, all done under warranty.

No receipts. See post #3.

Back yard mechanics out there, does it make sense to replace an engine due to the cam phaser being out of sync? Thats not the cam shaft just the phaser that controsl VVT right? phaser, solenoids etc.

Back yard mechanics out there, does it make sense to replace an engine due to the cam phaser being out of sync? Thats not the cam shaft just the phaser that controsl VVT right? phaser, solenoids etc.
Not enough info to provide a solid answer.
If the cam phaser is bad, you replace it and whatever else while doing the job. If the timing is "out of sync", then re-time it correctly. If the engine was damaged due to out of sync timing, then replace what is damaged, or the entire engine, if damage is great enough, or cost is high enough, to justify a whole engine replacement.

Exactly
Engine replacement is done one a case by case basis
4 stroke engine health is a pretty easy thing to diagnose with a compression tester

If the cam synchro was not installed properly you can get some issues like low oil pressure and not running well
but
The SOHC 4.0L is a NON INTERFERENCE engine so even when a chain fails the piston still does not hit the valves. (EDIT: WRONG the SOHC IS AN INTERFERENCE ENGINE!!)
The piston WILL HIT the valves

In other words the cam synchro does not control cam timing that is a physical connection with chains from the crank to the cam(s)
The synchro simply tells the computer where the engine is so it can time spark and injectors.
The cam synchro does drive the oil pump on some of these models (SOHC uses cam sensor not a sycnhronizer since the cams are over the top of the valves)

If somebody tells me "I think I need a new engine" The FIRST thing I do is get a compression test going
Then check the spark plugs (already out)
and check the oil (for water)
Check the water (for oil)

When the oil change alert illuminates and you reset it is a record established showing millage?
If so can it be printed?
Then match your oil and filter purchases to that.
I would say that would be a pretty tight argument.

When the oil change alert illuminates and you reset it is a record established showing millage?
If so can it be printed?
Then match your oil and filter purchases to that.
I would say that would be a pretty tight argument.
That's smart thinking - is there a record of this in the car somewhere?

Need a good IT guy for that answer but it seems everything else is recorded and stored.

I wonder if anyone that has done all their own oil changes has ,ever had the engine replaced without any hassle? When it comes down to logbooks, receipts and the possibility that IOLM reset can be recorded, where is the proof that the oil was actually changed? Just saying. Common sense/logic would say it was, but if a dealer or Ford really wanted to be 'hard-nosed' about it.............

Peter

I wonder if anyone that has done all their own oil changes has ,ever had the engine replaced without any hassle? When it comes down to logbooks, receipts and the possibility that IOLM reset can be recorded, where is the proof that the oil was actually changed? Just saying. Common sense/logic would say it was, but if a dealer or Ford really wanted to be 'hard-nosed' about it.............

Peter
Right? I tried to pose this hypothetical to someone in another thread who was planning on doing all oil changes. I have real doubts as to whether it's worth the hassle/savings while under warranty.

I can see doing it once the warranty is up. I guess I should have worked that word into my post.

It is the combination of oil/filter purchase history with the reset data , not just the reset data that would be a compelling argument.

It is the combination of oil/filter purchase history with the reset data , not just the reset data that would be a compelling argument.
I did mention that, but other than being a "compelling argument", you're still in the same situation.

Peter

...The SOHC 4.0L is a NON INTERFERENCE engine so even when a chain fails the piston still does not hit the valves.

Huh? The SOHC 4.0L is an interference engine, but 2010 was the last m/y Explorer that had those. It is not the engine in a '14 Sport (3.5L EB).

It is? Holy crap you are right! I
did some more diffing and indeed the piston will hit the valves on the SOHC

Thank you for the correction! will not make that mistake again...dang google!

Does the Ford warranty state that records and receipts are required for warranty work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the Ford warranty state that records and receipts are required for warranty work?

Yes

"Your glove compartment contains an Owner’s Manual which indicates the scheduled maintenance required for your vehicle. Proper maintenance guards against major repair expenses resulting from neglect or inadequate maintenance, may help increase the value you receive when you sell or trade your vehicle, and is important in allowing your vehicle to comply with applicable emissions standards. It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual will invalidate warranty coverage on
parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle
and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your Owner’s Manual."

Back