Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hughes, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Callsign
KJ7E
Someone may have a new Tuner later this week :burnout:

There will be 0-60 pre and aft times posted later, maybe even some video.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always wanted to put in a CAI. Cold Air Intake so that it sounds better on the outside noise and I can't wait to maybe get a mod. The stock ST is already pretty fast, so I am not sure as of now. Can't wait to see ur mods.

Man, what are your gas prices for premium fuel in CA? lol. I'm a little under $3 a gallon for premium. Braver man then me.. I don't like being the guinea pig.

Where are you going for the tune? I have an SCT x4 from my Mustang I was going to have married to the ST when I get it but I know Livernois doesn't do the SCTs. Anxious to see your results!

Where are you going for the tune? I have an SCT x4 from my Mustang I was going to have married to the ST when I get it but I know Livernois doesn't do the SCTs. Anxious to see your results!

5 star does SCT. I have an X4 on my F350 6.7 through 5 star. I will most likely purchase the tunes through them so I don't have to buy a new controller. They have a lot of info on their website.

Got a 2020+ Explorer ST 3.0L V6 Ecoboost? - 5 Star Tuning

The worst part is, I always run 91 (cant get 93 in CA) and drive 130 miles/day. Right now I'm seeing ~22mpg round trip even with the occasional WOT thrown in. Toss in about 40 miles of that is two lane canyon mountain roads. I live in kind of a remote area, my first stop sign is 15 miles away. So right now I'm spending about $25/day in fuel.

Ill probably load it with the 89oct tune to be on the safe(er) side.

Just going to leave this right here;

The new 93 tune looks awesome and the trans updates are worth it alone. Obvious, since mine is in the shop for A/C and its not yet clear if mine will be fixed or replaced I am having to hold off playing with mine for now.

5star is 406rwhp to their 385 and 536rwtq to their 478

When comparing tunes, Livernois comes on pretty much full for torque at 2,500 and starts to die off at 3,500. HP doesn't hit peak till 5,500RPM.

5 Star hits closer to 3,000 and 4,000 in regards to torque. Max HP doesn't hit till 4,000 and stays their till about redline.

Personally 5 Start hits a little later for torque but is constant and then you hit max HP at 4k for the rest of the RPM range. They have more usable power across more of the RPM range.

It is still early on but for majority of people, we aren't running blended e30 e40 or e50 etc so for most, that's just a waste of time.

Only way to really compare the two would be on the same truck, same dyno, same day. Either tune should be a blast to drive and way more entertaining than stock. If I didn't already have a LME to trade in, I would have been very tempted at 5Star.

Adding a screen grab of the LME 93 tune;

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 7.11.31 AM.png

I don't think the extended rev limiter here helped at all, I would request a tune with the stock 6K limit. I agree, the ethanol blends are not a viable option for most, myself included. I'm more interested in 91 pump and trans performance.

Only way to really compare the two would be on the same truck, same dyno, same day. Either tune should be a blast to drive and way more entertaining than stock. If I didn't already have a LME to trade in, I would have been very tempted at 5Star.

Adding a screen grab of the LME 93 tune;

View attachment 172864
This. Or you could test a statistically significant number of trucks to compare. I still want to know if the @Livernois stock pull was real and repeatable over multiple trucks or if it was an anomaly with that truck on that day. 405 ftlbs on a rated 415 ftlbs seems like something was messed up.

The released dyno runs from both LME and 5star both seem to show the 415ft-lb stock rating is very conservative.

The new explorer ST is and amazing machine we got it up to 424hp and 516tq on e30 which is crazy we will continue to push the explorer ST until we reach the limits. Plan to see more coming for the Explorer St

here is the link for the video

I picked up a Dragy GPS timing box to baseline and compare various tunes (89 vs 91 vs 93). Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I have plenty of wide open remote roads to test on.

All reports are, its darn near dead on with real drag time slips. Once I do my testing, I would be willing to share my Dragy box with others.

Dragy is the on-screen data logger/timer seen on this video (skip to 30 sec in);

I picked up a Dragy GPS timing box to baseline and compare various tunes (89 vs 91 vs 93). Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I have plenty of wide open remote roads to test on.

All reports are, its darn near dead on with real drag time slips. Once I do my testing, I would be willing to share my Dragy box with others.

Dragy is the on-screen data logger/timer seen on this video (skip to 30 sec in);

So did you get some custom tuning by PBD or LIvernoise or 5-Star? If yes, what programmer do you have or are you going with?

I also have a Dragy, from when I had my Whipple F150. As soon as I get my ST, I plan to do some baseline testing as well, posting out to Dragy Site.

I already had a Livernois tuner from my previous Escape, so traded it in. Not going to touch it until I get the A/C issue sorted out.

I already had a Livernois tuner from my previous Escape, so traded it in. Not going to touch it until I get the A/C issue sorted out.

Ohh understood, forgot you were the one fighting those AC problems.

Not an ideal test, but a quick 0-100 run. It was 95deg F out, A/C on (and working, yea), 4,000’ elevation, 8-10mph headwind.

Not an ideal test, but a quick 0-100 run. It was 95deg F out, A/C on (and working, yea), 4,000’ elevation, 8-10mph headwind.

So you know I have a number of question... LOL:
1. Where is your Dragy???
2. What is your Dragy Name (PM me if you don't want it public).
3. It did not appear that you boost launched at all, maybe a little?
4. How did it FEEL???? Seat of the pants gauge, positive... indifferent... thought it would be better or what ;)

Your killing me... LOL

Not had a chance to do anything but drive home from work, won’t have a time to play with Draggy till Sunday afternoon. Heading out to do an all day Mountain Bike ride at 4 am tomorrow (Cannell Plunge).

I’ll update how everything feels more when I can, but fist impression is way more mid range torque and throttle response.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not had a chance to do any performance comparison (Draggy). Got called in to work Saturday to deal with a major issue, going to be a loooonnnnng week at work (probably hear about it in the news in the next few days). I can say, it took a day of driving for the shifting to re-learn and settle down. Not having as much torque management in the normal drive mode takes a bit of getting use to, but feels good after a few days. Shifting points raised a bit in the normal mode. Slightly more aggressive throttle response but the mid range torque increase is very noticeable. Cant say I really feel additional top end power, but its smooth and accelerates cleanly. Not detected any pinging or other issues.

Back