Primary timing chain tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Primary timing chain tensioner

Brianh962

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002,xlt
I have installed a new primary chain tensioner on my 2002 explorer and when I was cranking it over I noticed that the tensioner was giving in some if that makes sense. I would like to know if this is normal or if the tensioner should not move at all. Thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It gets filled with oil once running that should greatly reduce the movement once the engine is running. When you install it the tensioner is just spring loaded so it can move.

It gets filled with oil once running that should greatly reduce the movement once the engine is running. When you install it the tensioner is just spring loaded so it can move.
Thanks for the response but I'm talking about the primary chain tensioner which is mechanical not one of the hydraulic tensioners.

You said you replaced the primary tensioner. Did you replace the cassette (guides), too? Did you replace the chain? If you used the old one, did you measure for stretch? You should have. Normal for the primary tensioner to move, a little, but it may not be able to compensate for excessive wear of the guides, or stretch of the chain.

You said you replaced the primary tensioner. Did you replace the cassette (guides), too? Did you replace the chain? If you used the old one, did you measure for stretch? You should have. Normal for the primary tensioner to move, a little, but it may not be able to compensate for excessive wear of the guides, or stretch of the chain.
Yes I replaced the primary chain. I looked at the cassettes and they looked fine so I just left them. The primary tensioner I replaced broke after a short drive. I replaced it again and after a short drive I am hearing the same noise I did when it broke before but it's a little quieter so I suspect it broke again somehow

What makes you think the primary tensioner was the problem to begin with? Noise is usually a worn/broken cassette. Could be your left secondary cassette failed . . . .

I'd only use Cloyes or Ford timing parts.

What makes you think the primary tensioner was the problem to begin with? Noise is usually a worn/broken cassette. Could be your left secondary cassette failed . . . .

I'd only use Cloyes or Ford timing parts.
After I replaced the primary tensioner the first time it broke and was making this same noise. I suppose it could be the rear cassette. Waiting on it to co down now to tear it apart. The tensioner is made by car quest.

I just did this job on my 04 exploder with the 4.0L (changed all timing parts, including the balance shaft items) what a pain! Hoping to get the engine back in this week. I used Cloyes parts

well it turns out the primary tension did break again it was made by car quest so I'm gonna get one from ford in hopes that it will do the job

Thanks for the update. I wonder whose part Carquest is using. They used to sell good parts -- at least back when they offered two versions (if you got the higher-quality one of the two).

Thanks for the update. I wonder whose part Carquest is using. They used to sell good parts -- at least back when they offered two versions (if you got the higher-quality one of the two).
Is there any reason other than the part just being bad that would cause the tensioner to break after driving?

Bad design

hi
If you are breaking primary chains, the most likely cause is the jackshaft is not aligned properly due to worn out jackshaft bearings. What happens is the worn out bearing causing the shaft to be on a slight angle barely perceivable but enough to cause side load on the chain which it is not designed for and breaks. Learned this the hard way. :)

hi
If you are breaking primary chains, the most likely cause is the jackshaft is not aligned properly due to worn out jackshaft bearings. What happens is the worn out bearing causing the shaft to be on a slight angle barely perceivable but enough to cause side load on the chain which it is not designed for and breaks. Learned this the hard way. :)
The chain itself is not breaking but the tensioners were.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back