• Register Today It's free!

Second Gen MPG Numbers

GT2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8 AWD
Callsign
Dora the explorer
I was wondering what u guys get in your explorer's. 4.0 ohv sohc, or 5.0 which ever. I personally have been getting around 13-14 in town, 17 on the backroads, and about 18-19 on the interstate, but i have seen 20-21 on the interstate before too. I have a 98 AWD 5.0 3.73 LS rear end, and a 0420 engine code too. I'm happy with those numbers, it gets better highway mpg then my 02 ranger sohc i had before this with 4.10 gearing. Im interested to see what everyone else gets with other power trains or the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1998 2 Door Sport 4X4 4.0 OHV w/ 5 speed Manual and 3.23 Gearing.

Here's what I get in the PRK:

Winter Blend (Oxygenated & 10% Ethanol Blend) = 15 MPG City / 17 MPG Hwy

Summer Blend (10% Ethanol Blend) = 17 MPG City / 19 - 21 Hwy

1996 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Explorer, 182,000 miles, 4.0 OHV, 4R55E Auto, 4.10 gear ratios, 255/70R-15 Futura Scrambler AP tires, 87 octane regular gas. Equipped with a full sized roof basket.

Before transmission rebuild it was close to 16 MPG mixed driving.

After trans rebuild it stayed right at 15 MPG.

Added the roof basket and it dropped another 1 MPG.

Consistent 14.6 MPG mixed town/hwy driving now. Constant freeway driving only brings mileage up to 15ish.
explorer2018.jpg

My previous 2000 Sport, 4.0 OHV, 3.23 RWD 5-speed manual averaged 20.4 mpg over about 100,000 miles of mixed driving. (Yes, I actually tracked all of these miles with gas receipts)
My current 98 XLT 4.0 OHV, 3.55 4x4 5-speed manual gets 16-18 mpg in mixed driving.
My prior 96 XLT 5.0 AWD got about 14 mpg overall, about 18 mpg on highway.

IMG_20190612_210423.jpg

If I don't drive like an idiot and use a k and n air filter. Yes the filter gave me a bump in MPG.

My highway commute for work averages between 16-19. Check engine light is on. My best was 25 with no light.

I just put on 32x11.50s and now I am down to 14.4.
I think it was 15-16 with 31s
98 5.0 awd 3.73s, 50 miles a day mostly highway but heavy traffic.

Well according to the replies, the V8's do decent on the highway and bad in the city, just like mine, and gear ratio matters a lot. 4.10's are hard on gas I know my ranger was bad with 4.10's. I drive pretty conservatively most of the time, every once in awhile i go have some fun and hammer down, and then I hit 'reset' on the MPG after that lol. Driving habits is probably the biggest factor, especially for the V8's, cause who doesn't like to hear it roar from time to time?

15.3 MPG on Regular w/ AC on around the Suburbs... so not City Driving but not Hiway either - I have Electric Radiator Fan - I added a 2nd Air Inlet into Airbox thru Fender well - Deleted the Facia piece in front of Airbox & flipped the Stock Air Inlet into Airbox around - Shortened upper Rad Hose to get it off of Intake Snorkel - Moved Ambient Temp Sensor to a more consistent Temp location.

Hmmm... pulled off a 20 and 21, and that was using the A/C part of the time :crazy:

I hate this question, because there are too many variables to consider. Assuming your engine is in good tune and your tires are properly inflated MPG is also effected by differential gearing. 4:10 gears will get worse MPG than 3:23 gears. Around town a general MPG number might be 13-17 and highway low to mid 20's, but if you warm up your vehicle before driving (a total waste of money by the way) your MPG will be negatively effected. If you leave your car running with the A/C on while you run into a store, or spend 30 mins or more a day sitting in traffic or waiting in drive-in lines your MPG will suffer. If your engine is running and you're not moving your MPG is zero. If you use E10 gasoline your MPG will be less than if you use 100% gasoline. If you drive with a lead foot your MPG will suffer.

The worst MPG I've ever seen on my '01 5.0L RWD Eddie Bauer w/3:73 gears was in the 13's and the best I've ever seen was low-mid 20's. I don't find that running with the A/C on or off makes much difference. Driving with the A/C off and windows open at highway speed is probably just as bad as having the A/C on due to the additional aerodynamic drag.

The V8's and V6's get pretty much the same MPG in my experience.

'95 4WD XLT, 2WD Selected, 3.73s, 235x75 R15 BFG KO2 T/As 45psi

74,280 miles, Mobil 1 5W-30EP, original plugs/wires and brakes

20mpg +/- 0.5mpg

66mph, @2100rpm, MAX AC, 20 trips in the last six weeks, Marathon 87 Reg - 10% Ethanol, same gas pump, first click shut-off finished fueling.

Speed limit is 70 for cars, 65 for trucks. Traffic is generally light on the toll-way during my travels. As much as I'd like to drive 60 I'd be too much of a nuisance!

Team TARDIS

I'm getting 15 in town which is like only a mile long
21 on highway
But I let her warm up for 5 min in the winter to get the tc guides nice and flexible ....if I don't I feel like my grandpa is gonna raise from the dead and smack me ..... just my way
All this is fine and dandy but I have to run 93 octane at $3.00 a gallon

'98 XLT 4.0sohc, 3.73, 275/70 R16 Michelin Latitude Cross, rebuilt trans, shiftkit, AC on, LPG or 95 gas the same, 12MPG in Budapest city (lot of hill, traffic jams), and 21MPG on the highway appx.110km/h - 68mph only in 2WD (brown wire mod). When I push it on the highway between 130-150km/h, 80-93mph drinking around 16MPG. So my numbers between 21-12MPG.

_20190523_184342.JPG

Try running the AC with the right window down, delivering mail. I get around 9mpg ever day, whether I use the AC or not, which is about half of the time in this weather.

Koda is right, too many things are different between each vehicle, plus where and how it is used, to compare well. I've gotten 20-21mg on an 1100 mile trip to SD, in my old 93 Explorer with 3.73:1 gears.

Work on the tune up items for your car, everything affects mileage. Keep the tires near to the MAX rating, a little less in the rears versus the fronts. Replace the front O2 sensors if they are more than 10 years old.

Installed a brand new K&N filter on my K&N FIPK. Pulled off 24mpg after second filling of the tank.

Gotta see if that was just a fluke :shifty:

But But I want 24mpg

I get around 19-20 MPG mixed (interstate and city) if i would drop weight (remove all the crap from trunk), i'd probably reach 21.

I usually slow boat (50-55 mph) behind semis to get the slipstream advantage.

EDIT: Currently have 161000 miles.

But But I want 24mpg

You need to wait long enough to be able to afford the next Explorer, or the Aviator if you can do that now. The new Aviator can be had as a hybrid, a Grand Touring model. It has a 101hp electric motor, which can run with or without the twin turbo 3.0 engine. Alone, it should get good fuel mileage on the highway. But when you want fun, it's got 630lbft of torque.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to wait long enough to be able to afford the next Explorer, or the Aviator if you can do that now. The new Aviator can be had as a hybrid, a Grand Touring model. It has a 101hp electric motor, which can run with or without the twin turbo 3.0 engine. Alone, it should get good fuel mileage on the highway. But when you want fun, it's got 630lbft of torque.;)

A hybrid electric twin-turbo? I'm all about electrics, but sheesh, this sounds like a maintenance nightmare.

Back