2006 Explorer Limited making me crazy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Limited making me crazy

Johnnydop19

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Pines, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 limited
Ladies and gentleman,
I have been a member here for a while however, this is my first port. I have been the proud owner of a 2006 Explorer Limited for 6 years now. I've been chasing some demons for about 16 months. It started with the P0455 code. Changed the gas cap with a Ford cap from the dealer. Code came back. Then I started getting the gas cap off warning light and the P0455 . Replaced the Canister Purge Valve under the hood and the vent canister solenoid under the truck on the passenger frame. Still intermittently get the gas cap light, regularly get the P0455. Started having some issues while attempting to fill up. Had to start barely pumping gas in for it not to shut the pump off. Had a couple of smoke tests done during that time and neither shop could find the leak.
Now I am getting the following codes:
P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161 all about the O2 sensors:
as well as:
P0443, P0456, P0455, P0456, P0457, and the gas cap light.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For my '02 (3rd gen), I was having really, really aggravating problems trying to fill the tank at the gas station. Tried lots of stuff. Finally ordered a replacement filler neck, put 'er on, and been happy ever since. I got mine on Amazon (Evans-Fisher, or some such). I usually order from Rock Auto but found a better deal on the big A. Good luck.

Ladies and gentleman,
I have been a member here for a while however, this is my first port. I have been the proud owner of a 2006 Explorer Limited for 6 years now. I've been chasing some demons for about 16 months. It started with the P0455 code. Changed the gas cap with a Ford cap from the dealer. Code came back. Then I started getting the gas cap off warning light and the P0455 . Replaced the Canister Purge Valve under the hood and the vent canister solenoid under the truck on the passenger frame. Still intermittently get the gas cap light, regularly get the P0455. Started having some issues while attempting to fill up. Had to start barely pumping gas in for it not to shut the pump off. Had a couple of smoke tests done during that time and neither shop could find the leak.
Now I am getting the following codes:
P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161 all about the O2 sensors:
as well as:
P0443, P0456, P0455, P0456, P0457, and the gas cap light.

Any thoughts?

I am fighting something very similar.
P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161 all O2 heater sensors
as well as:
P0403 (EGR Circuit Malfunction)
P0443 (evap Emissions Cont Sys Purge Valve)
P0645 (Air Conditioner Clutch Relay Control Circuit)

I keep thinking since they come back within minutes...possibly instant, they seem like they are all connected to the same circuit that is failed in the PCM.....?

The only other thing that would make these all come up instantly is a break or short in the harness that is a shared power or ground.

I cant find a pin out for the 2006 4.0L on google.

I am about ready to get a reman PCM and have a locksmith reprogram PATS. I have the cost down to about $250 total for everything.

I am fighting something very similar.
P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161 all O2 heater sensors
as well as:
P0403 (EGR Circuit Malfunction)
P0443 (evap Emissions Cont Sys Purge Valve)
P0645 (Air Conditioner Clutch Relay Control Circuit)

I keep thinking since they come back within minutes...possibly instant, they seem like they are all connected to the same circuit that is failed in the PCM.....?

The only other thing that would make these all come up instantly is a break or short in the harness that is a shared power or ground.

I cant find a pin out for the 2006 4.0L on google.

I am about ready to get a reman PCM and have a locksmith reprogram PATS. I have the cost down to about $250 total for everything.
Darin, good luck. Please follow up and let us know how the PCM worked out.

Darin, good luck. Please follow up and let us know how the PCM worked out.
Actually I was hoping for a reply with... here are the 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L PCM pin outs and this is the one wire that's the problem because 6 other guys already did this. LOL! I know I am dreaming.

Darin I am having the exact same codes.. Did you ever resolve this if so how?

Did anybody specify what engine we are dealing with?

Actually I was hoping for a reply with... here are the 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L PCM pin outs and this is the one wire that's the problem because 6 other guys already did this. LOL! I know I am dreaming.
Did you ever find out which pinot was the problem? I also have a 2006 for explorer and have replaced the fuel pump, the module and computer, I need to find out where the problem is between the com and the computer it still won't start unless I bypass!

Take a peek at this thread. Might save you a few bucks.

Did you ever find out which pinot was the problem? I also have a 2006 for explorer and have replaced the fuel pump, the module and computer, I need to find out where the problem is between the com and the computer it still won't start unless I bypass!
Hello I'm new here just wondering what u bypassed and how did u bypass it ????

Back