Rear Bumper Protectors | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Protectors

I haven't read through all 9 pages but is there anything other than the issue that was mentioned in post #218 that prevented the liftgate from opening? If it is just that, I think keeping the snow brushed off the rear bumper would likely fix that as would the occasional opening to ensure everything is working. If I was looking to add one, I would go ahead with the BMC and then go from there. I can't imagine there isn't an issue that can't be overcome. I'd also stay away from the chrome version for various reasons.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All, I am torn. I have read through all 9 pages of this thread and don't know what to do. I have a 2013 Exp XLT in dark graphite metallic gray. Love the truck. I too want some sort of rear bumper protection but just can't get used to and like the OEM bumper protection. Yes, I like the fact that is has the word Explorer on it, but it's thin and looks quite cheesy. So I like many others found and was going to order the BMC cover the lip bumper protector but was also surprised they had changed the design from lines to hexagons. I was able to get over that until I read a number of reviews etc that said it does not work with the automatic lift gate. Many reviews on this site say that it does, some say it doesn't and just a few threads above is a very good argument for not using the BMC item. I don't like the chrome versions on eBay and other sites. Are there absolutely no other options for a bumper cover that will cover the lip of the bumper and still render the automatic lift gate operable? Please help.

I have the one with the hexagons. It was on my '13, and I pulled it off, put new 3M tape on it, and put it on my '15. Both have the power liftgate. It works 100%.

2013 Explorer Limited with the power liftgate, looking for a rear bumper protector pad.
Ideally I'd like one that has at least some lip that extends over the corner of the bumper and will fit the power liftgate. I've seen several that I liked but they all say they won't work with the power liftgate. The Ford factory one is not exactly what I had in mind but it appears that it's all I've found so far that will work for my Explorer.
So, anyone know of others that definitely will work?

Thanks in advance!

^^ Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature

Peter

2013 Explorer Limited with the power liftgate, looking for a rear bumper protector pad.
Ideally I'd like one that has at least some lip that extends over the corner of the bumper and will fit the power liftgate. I've seen several that I liked but they all say they won't work with the power liftgate. The Ford factory one is not exactly what I had in mind but it appears that it's all I've found so far that will work for my Explorer.
So, anyone know of others that definitely will work?

Thanks in advance!

I've used this one for 2.5 years and it has held up fine with my power liftgate.

2016-2017 Ford Explorer Rear Bumper Cover Protector Guard

I have a 2018 limited. Anyone know if there's a bumper for that model year that covers the lip?

I have a 2018 limited. Anyone know if there's a bumper for that model year that covers the lip?
I would contact BMC (link in post 225) and ask them if they have them for the 2018 Explorer. I don't believe there were any changes made from 2017.

Peter

Bringing back an old thread from the dead!
I've been dealing with a scratched up bumper for a while. I rent my explorer out on turo pretty regular and they don't really respect the bumper to say the least.
I'd been looking for a bumper protector... found the BMC one and ordered it a few weeks ago. Finally had a chance to get the car cleaned and bumper protector installed today. Seems to work fine and I like the look! I would've preferred it extended a bit more to either side, but it's probably fine.

IMG_2506.jpeg

My bumper is all dinged up on the top from moving pinball machines and welding tanks. I'm looking to get a bumper cover and wonder if any of you have one to recommend. This one popped up and looked decent, but I never heard of them before, but I really have not bought any aftermarket stuff in 25 years.

My bumper is all dinged up on the top from moving pinball machines and welding tanks. I'm looking to get a bumper cover and wonder if any of you have one to recommend. This one popped up and looked decent, but I never heard of them before, but I really have not bought any aftermarket stuff in 25 years.

Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Back