What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 95 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new wheels !

Niche Wheels
20x9
265/50/20 BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport wheels

CIbyiBX.jpg

Installed my P3 ported upper and lower intake yesterday.

P3 Performance Intakes

Flashed the stock tune back in for testing before hand. Still driving it to get the fuel and spark trims adapted, but so far there is a 0.24 second drop in 0-60.

Installed my P3 ported upper and lower intake yesterday.

P3 Performance Intakes

Flashed the stock tune back in for testing before hand. Still driving it to get the fuel and spark trims adapted, but so far there is a 0.24 second drop in 0-60.

0.36 seconds off of my 0-60 now. Would have been more but I forgot to turn the AC off.

Got the rear toe link recall done today as well.

Doesn't AC disengage at WOT?

I used a Thule Coffin from Chicago, IL to Sarasota, FL and back. I have a '16 Platinum with dual sun/moon roofs. I had 90 lbs in it with no problems at all.

View attachment 158168

jonnoriega - I am considering a cargo carrier on my 2018 Sport. I am glad to hear that you had no problems with 90lbs in your carrier. Are you using the OEM cross bars? If not, which one did you choose? I too have the dual sun/moon roofs and hearing about the bouncing some have mentioned, it has me nervous. I will PM you as well, but I am responding here in case your information can benefit others..

Thanks,
Bill

jonnoriega - I am considering a cargo carrier on my 2018 Sport. I am glad to hear that you had no problems with 90lbs in your carrier. Are you using the OEM cross bars? If not, which one did you choose? I too have the dual sun/moon roofs and hearing about the bouncing some have mentioned, it has me nervous. I will PM you as well, but I am responding here in case your information can benefit others..

Thanks,
Bill
OEM Cross Bars, my friend. They do the job nicely. A bit pricey though but if you shop around you can get a deal. I did from my dealer. He gave me 20% off.

Having a little fun today with my girl. I love it when certain cars challenge me. She may not be super fast but she holds her own quite nicely. Have to thank @Livernois for the tune.

Just changed my reverse lights, rear blinker lights, and front blinker lights to LED. Finally all LED except for high beams (which I'll leave alone).

The rears were easy to do. Just two screws after popping off the circle tabs. Had hyperflash only on the inside of the Exp.

The front blinker I was worried about. I thought I'd have to take the front panel off and the front bumper off. After looking better I could reach the blinker bulbs and replace pretty easily. Also had hyperflash only on the inside of the Exp.

Had to make the 2 change in FORScan to disable lamp outage detection for front and rear. All is good.

I got the bulbs from Amazon. If anyone wants to know what I got let me know.

id like to get the links :)

oh good. i just ordered mine today with Unleashed Tune so should be a fun couple of weeks soon!

For those of you who care, here's my opinion I recently installed B6 Bilstein Shock Absorbers. I had it installed last Saturday and already put 968 miles on them immediately.
  • My XPL is on H&R Special Springs, LP. and over-all, I felt them a little less than I did with OEM. However, my OEM had over 94K on them but if I can re-call, my Bilstein's feel more "comfortable" then when I originally installed my lowering springs at 30K miles.
  • As for "bigger/major bumps" on regular roads and highways, my XPL feels like it "snaps" back into place rather than "loose" after going over a bump. My ride bounces less. I hope that makes sense?
  • As for road performance, I feel that my XPL handles even more responsive now especially around curves and turns and in changing lanes especially abruptly. It feel the same as when I first drove on the road with them and another thousand miles later. I'll be on the road again next week and will be putting on another 2K miles in 2 weeks and I'll give another brief review of them.
  • I have the Steeda Joseph sway bars installed as well but with the Bilstein shocks, the pairing is very nice.
Overall, they're an investment but I feel that they were worth it so far. They give me a sense of security when I'm driving that my ride handles so well with as much driving as I do.
I hope this helps someone. Please ask if you have more questions and I hope I can respond accordingly.
fullsizeoutput_6d4b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6d4d.jpeg

Having a little fun today with my girl. I love it when certain cars challenge me. She may not be super fast but she holds her own quite nicely. Have to thank @Livernois for the tune.

Not gonna lie, for a vehicle that weighs 6k lbs + these X sports hold their own just fine lol. Definition of a sleeper if you ask me

For those of you who care, here's my opinion I recently installed B6 Bilstein Shock Absorbers. I had it installed last Saturday and already put 968 miles on them immediately.
  • My XPL is on H&R Special Springs, LP. and over-all, I felt them a little less than I did with OEM. However, my OEM had over 94K on them but if I can re-call, my Bilstein's feel more "comfortable" then when I originally installed my lowering springs at 30K miles.
  • As for "bigger/major bumps" on regular roads and highways, my XPL feels like it "snaps" back into place rather than "loose" after going over a bump. My ride bounces less. I hope that makes sense?
  • As for road performance, I feel that my XPL handles even more responsive now especially around curves and turns and in changing lanes especially abruptly. It feel the same as when I first drove on the road with them and another thousand miles later. I'll be on the road again next week and will be putting on another 2K miles in 2 weeks and I'll give another brief review of them.
  • I have the Steeda Joseph sway bars installed as well but with the Bilstein shocks, the pairing is very nice.
Overall, they're an investment but I feel that they were worth it so far. They give me a sense of security when I'm driving that my ride handles so well with as much driving as I do.
I hope this helps someone. Please ask if you have more questions and I hope I can respond accordingly.
View attachment 173799 View attachment 173800
Hello jonnoriega, I care and appreciate and enjoy yours and any other forum member’s reviews and experiences with a new product and mod wether I’m interested in getting the product or not. I tend not to trust what most manufacturers say but I trust and value the Explorer forum members opinions. So keep spending your money so we can learn what works or doesn’t thoughh you! Glad your happy with your latest mods. I noticed you don’t have your Continental Extremes on anymore did you have a problem with them or did you wear them out with all the miles you drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello jonnoriega, I care and appreciate and enjoy yours and any other forum member’s reviews and experiences with a new product and mod wether I’m interested in getting the product or not. I tend not to trust what most manufacturers say but I trust and value the Explorer forum members opinions. So keep spending your money so we can learn what works or doesn’t thoughh you! Glad your happy with your latest mods. I noticed you don’t have your Continental Extremes on anymore did you have a problem with them or did you wear them out with all the miles you drive?

Thanks you! The continental DWS were good but the tires wore out so fast. I was only able to get 25K on them. I got a small rebate and I put the balance into a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. So far they handle excellent especially in the rain but the true test will be in the snow this winter.

I’ve already got about 12K on these tires and they look like they are holding up very well. I read somewhere that our explorers are hard on tires and that the Pirelli’s are the ones that could take a beating everyday. We’ll see.

Back