Replacement battery cables for '96 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement battery cables for '96 5.0

CorbinDallas

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
At some point a previous owner had replaced the terminals with those lead ends. I found a really good cable at the wrecker with the original metal ends, but these were unfortunately from a 4.0, and i have a '96 5.0

To make matters worse, I didnt' realize the difference until I had removed my old battery cable, and in my rush I cut off parts of the cable to make the removal easier.

Does anyone know if there are still OEM cables available with the clamped on metal hangers, ends etc? What is my best option here for a replacement cable? I am capable of making my own cables, but I want this to be as painless and turnkey as possible as the truck is just going to be sold before winter hits here (which could be any day as I live in Alberta :p ).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swapped my OEM to solid brass terminals.Corrosion issues are not an issue now...

I got a set of Therese from my local auto parts store

HTB1lHSGIpXXXXciXVXXq6xXFXXXB.jpg

the 5.0 battery cables are a little tricky, they go down to the frame near the front of the engine and attach to the frame for the main chassis ground, then they proceed to route along thefront of the oil pan and the large starter feed runs all the way to the starter.
How much of this did you hack out? How much needs to be repaired?

After messing with diesel trucks for a few years now I only use LUG type battery terminals and I convert all the factory cables to use copper lugs....no more issues

the 5.0 battery cables are a little tricky, they go down to the frame near the front of the engine and attach to the frame for the main chassis ground, then they proceed to route along thefront of the oil pan and the large starter feed runs all the way to the starter.
How much of this did you hack out? How much needs to be repaired?

After messing with diesel trucks for a few years now I only use LUG type battery terminals and I convert all the factory cables to use copper lugs....no more issues

I cut off the two connections to the starter (positive and solenoid), and one of the grounds to the block.

Rockauto has a replacement but it doesn't look right
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS A784TB

Bump. Anyone have a OEM part number for the 5.0 battery cable harness?

Damm

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to put the OEM-style battery terminals back in. IMO they're woefully inadequate and easily susceptible to breakage. I work at an auto parts store and literally every battery test I've had to do, most of the faults I see happen because those weak terminals actually cause corrosion to occur much faster than the old lead clamp-style terminals from a generation ago.

In all of the vehicles I've ever owned that have had those cheap-looking metal ring-type terminals, I've always removed them in favor of heavy-duty marine-type terminals with corrosion-resistant coatings.I have yet to have an issue.

In fact, on the '96 I have, I took out the OEM connectors because the corrosion of the positive terminal was so bad, that it ate the metal to the point of breaking when I went to change the battery.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to put the OEM-style battery terminals back in. IMO they're woefully inadequate and easily susceptible to breakage. I work at an auto parts store and literally every battery test I've had to do, most of the faults I see happen because those weak terminals actually cause corrosion to occur much faster than the old lead clamp-style terminals from a generation ago.

In all of the vehicles I've ever owned that have had those cheap-looking metal ring-type terminals, I've always removed them in favor of heavy-duty marine-type terminals with corrosion-resistant coatings.I have yet to have an issue.

In fact, on the '96 I have, I took out the OEM connectors because the corrosion of the positive terminal was so bad, that it ate the metal to the point of breaking when I went to change the battery.

The terminals are a small part of the equation here, and easily replaceable. I'm selling the truck and don't want to have to put much effort into it at this point. Looks like I essentialy need three cables here. A positive, a ground, and one for the starter solenoid

Well i just wanted to report back that god must love me because two 5.0's showed up at the local Pick'N'Pull this week. Should have the cable replaced tonight. My god what a pain in a butt it is to get those hangers bolted back on though! I think I want to take off the rad and just flush the damn system just so I have room to work in there.

Nice:burnout:

Back