Finally ordered my 2020 ST Rich Copper! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally ordered my 2020 ST Rich Copper!

If they have a date, they have a VIN. Currently VINS are assigned about a week after the order is placed.
I have an order number (F505) and the dealer Code for the order but No VIN yet... I called the ford corporate number and they confirmed that the vin is there but because 2 other vehicles are on the same order as mine they cant give me the VIN I have to wait for the dealer to give it to me. So I’m stuck waiting for them to let me have it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although that might be the case, it doesn't make sense to me. Why should the dealer be involved in assigning the VIN? To the best of my knowledge, it is the factory that provides the VIN to the dealer. Is it because all 3 vehicles have the same dealer order number? I don't see why that would hold up assigning a VIN to each vehicle. The last six digits (positions 12 through 17) are the production sequence numbers, which each car receives on the assembly line so that is predetermined.

Peter

Although that might be the case, it doesn't make sense to me. Why should the dealer be involved in assigning the VIN? To the best of my knowledge, it is the factory that provides the VIN to the dealer. Is it because all 3 vehicles have the same dealer order number? I don't see why that would hold up assigning a VIN to each vehicle. The last six digits (positions 12 through 17) are the production sequence numbers, which each car receives on the assembly line so that is predetermined.

Peter
They said it had something to do with since they don’t have authorization to give me that information. And the fact that there is more than one vehicle on that order they don’t want to give me so one else’s vin... but they would confirm there is a VIN given for an ST on that order though...Very frustrating that 6 weeks in my vin has been available for some time but the dealer won’t give it to me lol.. and ford won’t let me know because they say Only the dealer is allowed to give out the specific VIN. I feel like I’m the only one who has had an issue that I have a VIN but they won’t give it to me.. they are acting like it’s a secret banking code or something haha

Makes no sense to me. The vehicle is being built according to your order. If the others on the order have the same specs, what does it matter which VIN goes on which vehicle. They will all arrive at your dealership so the dealer can give you the one with the VIN he should be able to provide now. What are we missing here? :dunno:

Peter

Makes no sense to me. The vehicle is being built according to your order. If the others on the order have the same specs, what does it matter which VIN goes on which vehicle. They will all arrive at your dealership so the dealer can give you the one with the VIN he should be able to provide now. What are we missing here? :dunno:

Peter
mine is on the same order number as an XLT and a F150. But why the dealer still wont give me the VIN is beyond me since they have it as per Ford corporate customer service

Now it makes even less sense. VINs are assigned before the vehicle is actually built. This is beginning to sound like they are building the vehicles and then deciding which VIN goes where which is not the way it works. There is definitely something going on here that isn't being explained.

Peter

Now it makes even less sense. VINs are assigned before the vehicle is actually built. This is beginning to sound like they are building the vehicles and then deciding which VIN goes where which is not the way it works. There is definitely something going on here that isn't being explained.

Peter
Exactly makes absolutely no sense to me. Last time I ordered a vehicle through FORD it was simple cut and dry. This time I’m just confused

The dealer has the VIN, they just are not giving it to you.

**Good update** I kind of annoyed the hell out of them which i think they hate me now and im "that annoying customer" haha but after 7 1/2 weeks I....GOT....THE...VIN! 1FM5K8GC7LGA87532

*update*
It’s been 6 weeks since my order, Got an email from the manager. They have delivery time of mid September again... went from mid September was moved to mid October 2 weeks ago now back to where I was which I’m happy about but they still won’t give me/or have a VIN for me which is rather frustrating. I don’t see how then can have an estimated delivery date or any information at all with them not having an actual VIN.

Waiting is part of the journey ... enjoy the journey ... your beautiful Explorer will come in due time.
I had to wait for years before getting mine ;-)

Congrats !

Waiting is part of the journey ... enjoy the journey ... your beautiful Explorer will come in due time.
I had to wait for years before getting mine ;-)

Congrats !
I hear ya... I’m just impatient and been waiting to get a new Explorer since they switched away from RWD... had to get rid of my 03 sport about 3 years ago (2door one) been waiting since then... I’m glad they finally went back to RWD

I hear ya... I’m just impatient and been waiting to get a new Explorer since they switched away from RWD... had to get rid of my 03 sport about 3 years ago (2door one) been waiting since then... I’m glad they finally went back to RWD
**Good update** I kind of annoyed the hell out of them which i think they hate me now and im "that annoying customer" haha but after 7 1/2 weeks I....GOT....THE...VIN! 1FM5K8GC7LGA87532

No build date? My guess is end of Sept based on your VIN. One of my orders with VIN 61xxx was built on the 20th . They seem to be averaging about 20k a month or about 5k a week. Your build/delivery should be pretty smooth by then

Well good news, I will be ending this thread with the fact that the dealer order came in yesterday afternoon (the duplicate they ordered of mine) took delivery of it last night!! Traded in my SHO, love it!! Wish everyone else with good luck on their orders and it’s well worth the wait! Here are some pics

F84C6716-D3FC-49F5-988A-CA4FDC57312F.jpeg

9376108E-C02D-48AD-962A-CA6761B49483.jpeg

89BE3CE8-EB3D-4E5E-BD52-C399CC488FE6.jpeg

C6A8BC12-0F53-456C-B56A-0243826DECFB.jpeg

89B99393-09C1-4630-BFC5-904E5F253CB6.jpeg

Congrats, nice color

Well good news, I will be ending this thread with the fact that the dealer order came in yesterday afternoon (the duplicate they ordered of mine) took delivery of it last night!! Traded in my SHO, love it!! Wish everyone else with good luck on their orders and it’s well worth the wait! Here are some pics

View attachment 173677

View attachment 173678

View attachment 173679

View attachment 173680

View attachment 173681

That is a beautiful color, I love that!

Back