New Vehicle High PSI Readings Upon Delivery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Vehicle High PSI Readings Upon Delivery

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
Just thought I'd throw this thread out there for the owners on the new 2020 vehicles. It has been reported by a few members that their psi readings were all in the 45 - 50 psi range. I believe tires are usually over-inflated at the factory to prevent 'flat-spotting' or loss of pressure while they sit waiting for delivery.
This should be part of the predelivery inspection that the dealers perform once the vehicle is sold. However, it seems that some are not correcting the psi to the manufacturer's recommended levels.
Posted FYI.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine shows on Fordpass app as 47, 46FPS on all tires. Maybe I should lower it 5FPS to make it 40. I know that when temps reach below 50 degrees or so, tire will probably loose 5 FPS automatically.

Mine shows on Fordpass app as 47, 46FPS on all tires. Maybe I should lower it 5FPS to make it 40. I know that when temps reach below 50 degrees or so, tire will probably loose 5 FPS automatically.

Supposed to be at 33 max. It goes up to about 37t38 when warmed up from driving. I'd definitely lower it down to 33. Again, that is the max, you could even go lower.

Many people with trucks lower them down 15-20psi (20-25% lower for a better quality ride).

If your tires are so hard with no flexibility.. I could easily see a bulge or blowout from hitting a pothole etc.

Tire Tips | Robertson Tire

"Over-inflation, or putting too much air in the tire, is another common mistake. Putting too much air in a tire is almost as bad as not enough, resulting in premature tread wear in the center of the tire and increased operating temperatures that can, again, lead to a blowout. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that if an underinflated tire costs you in fuel economy, an overinflated one will help your gas mileage. While it is true that an overinflated tire rolls more easily and can improve fuel economy a little, the costs of excessive tread wear and danger of blowout more than offset the small increase in fuel economy."

They crank them up like that during production and delivery. The dealerships seem to be failing to bring them down to 33 psi cold where they should be. Take air out down to 33. It will make your ride better as well.

True. I picked up my 2020 XLT yesterday and the tires were 45 PSI. I pointed out the PSI label on the door jam to the dealer rep who said that the tire was rated to 50 PSI so I was good. Silly. The ride was terrible at that PSI and I changed it to the recommended 33 PSI for cold tire. Much better.

True. I picked up my 2020 XLT yesterday and the tires were 45 PSI. I pointed out the PSI label on the door jam to the dealer rep who said that the tire was rated to 50 PSI so I was good. Silly. The ride was terrible at that PSI and I changed it to the recommended 33 PSI for cold tire. Much better.

You know that if the temps drop below 50 you will automatically loose 5PSI? You would then be one day starting to drive at 28PSI.

I’ve read in numerous other forums that when vehicles are shipped from the factory they are set to these high pressures to keep from developing flat spots on tires from the cars sitting at the factory, then on rail cars and then at the dealer lots. It’s up to dealers when the sell the vehicle to correct the tire pressure before delivery

You know that if the temps drop below 50 you will automatically loose 5PSI? You would then be one day starting to drive at 28PSI.

Even Goodyear says follow the placard on the door jam.. 33psi is what they should be set at and checked periodically.

Impacts to Tire Pressure During Cold Weather | Goodyear Tires

Reality is, tires can run in a wide range of psi because the tires do not have 1 application for 1 vehicle with 1 weight of said vehicle. This is decided by each manufacturer based on many factors including weight of that particular vehicle, ride quality, handling characteristics, mpg etc. Tire manufacturers tell you to follow the vehicle manufacturers air requirements for a reason.

I’ve read in numerous other forums that when vehicles are shipped from the factory they are set to these high pressures to keep from developing flat spots on tires from the cars sitting at the factory, then on rail cars and then at the dealer lots. It’s up to dealers when the sell the vehicle to correct the tire pressure before delivery
Same thing I read.

Also note, when carriers are strapping these down, the less they move around the better. I am guessing a firmer tire will give a transporter a more predictable scenario to secure the vehicle.

Ohhh and the dealer ship that said they are rated for 50 so your good. Bunch of idiots.

Aviator recommends 38 front 42 rear and mine was 38 and 41 fro the dealer.

Aviator recommends 38 front 41 rear and mine was 38 and 41 fro the dealer.

Then maybe the dealership adjusted it for you. I guess some dealerships do and some don't care or don't know. Mine did not care.

Then maybe the dealership adjusted it for you. I guess some dealerships do and some don't care or don't know. Mine did not care.
It's a Lincoln.;)

Just picked up my Limited on June 3 and the tire pressure in all tires was 45 psi.

Just picked up my Limited on June 3 and the tire pressure in all tires was 45 psi.
Your post was moved to this thread found using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

I just completed the purchase of my 2022 Explorer Limited and it also had 50psi all around. I was a little confused because the Michelin tires say 50psi Max but the manual and door sticker say 33 all around. I reduced the pressure to 33 after I got home driving about 20 miles.

That is supposed to be part of the dealer's predelivery checks. I hope they didn't miss anything else.

Peter

High PSI tires seem to happen way to often on new vehicles. Pre delivery inspection should fix that but like Peter said, lets hope they didn't miss any thing else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

High PSI tires seem to happen way to often on new vehicles. Pre delivery inspection should fix that but like Peter said, lets hope they didn't miss any thing else.
The only way to be sure is to check it yourself. At least pressure gauges can fit in your pocket.

Back