New hood insulation pad - where can I source? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New hood insulation pad - where can I source?

SteveRosenow

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Pretty short and sweet... Where could one source replacement hood insulation pads for a 2nd gen Explorer? Mine is ratty and I'd like to replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dag nabit I just threw mine away and it was minty
I tore mine off not to long ago
I'm looking but I'm not finding anything

Mine looks like crap too.
I seen some aluminum ones on ebay but don't know how that would look.If you find a good source to get them let us know. Some before and after pic's would be nice.

I've thought about the LMC Truck product but it seems as though it will look really crappy when installed. Especially since the original hood insulation (at least mine does) has holes cut out for the factory underhood light I have.

Not only that, mine is molded to the contours of the hood.

Junk yard

Mine looks like crap too.
I seen some aluminum ones on ebay but don't know how that would look.

That could be great if reflective enough that you could point a work light and have it reflect down in the engine bay.

I've done something similar to that (temporarily to do repairs on miscellaneous vehicles) with a couple of those reflective metalized emergency blankets held on by magnets, with a row of 8x BR30 LED lights in a ~5 ft long bulb strip similar to what you'd find on a carnival ride. Heh, people laugh when they see that bulb strip.

We just did our hood insulation. We used the OEM as a template but making it a bit wider on each end and longer towards the nose that tucks behind the rubber flap. Now that we know we can do it maybe we'll look for some nicer material. Maybe we'll try resurfacing our original as above!

Team TARDIS

20190916_163957.jpg

20190919_200449.jpg

20190919_200310.jpg

20190919_200340.jpg

20190919_202915.jpg

Old vs New.jpg

Nice work. Is there a detectable difference while driving?
The firewall is where I would really like to improve thermal/acoustic insulation, but just looking at it makes me go “oh jeez-what a pita, and I’m old and not a contortionist”.

No difference except to satisfy our OCD of our EX!

Team TARDIS

I took mine off and threw it out a year ago. I haven’t really noticed a difference in sound and I like knowing that my engine bay doesn’t have a giant blanket over it when idling during hot Florida summers. I know some manufacturers design the hood insulation to put out fires. But I have an extinguisher in the truck at all times.

Back