Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Exactly! I was curious regarding the age of these, I have Hankooks on my '19 but it's hard to find recent examples of this type of tire wear. Been watching mine closely.
Bought vehicle in Nov 2017, 2 tires replaced in April 2018 for this and then remaining two in Jan 2019. The last two would have been done sooner but the tire was on backorder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Laura.:wave:

Peter

Bought vehicle in Nov 2017, 2 tires replaced in April 2018 for this and then remaining two in Jan 2019. The last two would have been done sooner but the tire was on backorder.
Really appreciate that info - still I think looking for a 2018/19 with this issue on these tires. Seems like some really bad manufactured lots - did you end up with replacement Hankooks?

Those look much worse than mine @ 12k miles. We like the Michelins a lot. More of an all-weather tire.

I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?

Thanks for your post and all the useful responses. After noticing poor wear on my tires (same as original post) shortly after 10k and seeing them chipping shortly after 20k with wear pretty much all the way down to the wear bars at 25k, I called my dealer (service dept) today. They told me they had no idea what what they could do for me other than to sell me full price new tires. I expressed my frustration and moved on. I then called Hankook cs who told me that they were "working with" owners with premature wear issues. I asked a variety of questions so that I would be prepared to navigate the process. Hankook advised me to go to Discount Tire over my dealer or Bell Tire. I called Discount to confirm they were willing to make the call to Hankook after inspection and they were willing. Upon arriving at Discount Tire the salesman seemed kind of shocked at the poor condition at 25k. He called Hankook, reported his findings and recieved an email from Hankook offering to cover 70% of replacement costs within about 5 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised and within an hour left with a new set of Yokohama tires for about $275. Not thrilled about the additional cost during a three year lease, but it's more about getting a safe set of tires for the family. Hope this helps someone else.

Also, I am devoted to Ford vehicles, but after this experience (and another with my last Flex with Hankooks), I will never leave another dealership with Hankooks on a vehicle again!

On the 2020 Explorers, only those with 18" tires have the Hankooks but they are a different tire.:)

Peter

So after not getting much help from my local Ford dealer on the Tire warranty, I called Hankook and they told me I could go with any tire vendor for warranty claims and they let me know that they are aware of the premature wear issues with Ford Ex's.

So went to America's Tire(Discount Tire in other states) and they worked wit Hankook to and they got my 70% towards new tires.

Ended up with Falken Pro G5's and with road hazard warranty added, I am out the door for $349. Not ideal, but better than full price.

Will follow up on how the tires perform, as we have trip to LA next week.

I have to say, this company's customer service is amazing! They also let me know that Ford Dealers can also do the warranty replacement, but they have issues with getting the credit from Hankook, so they tend to shy away from it.

I have approx 7k on my Hankooks (19 Platinum) and just had them rotated. Dealer didn't see any issues and I haven't either, so they either changed something with these or there were some bad batches delivered to Ford a few years back is my guess.

I have approx 7k on my Hankooks (19 Platinum) and just had them rotated. Dealer didn't see any issues and I haven't either, so they either changed something with these or there were some bad batches delivered to Ford a few years back is my guess.
What i was told is that most bad tire were on Sports and Platinum, and they say that it might be caused due to heavy engine and fast take off with the heavy engine, I had mine replace at 16k

What i was told is that most bad tire were on Sports and Platinum, and they say that it might be caused due to heavy engine and fast take off with the heavy engine, I had mine replace at 16k
I know - but I've been asking around the forum and haven't found a single person with an '18 or '19 that's had issues with these tires - I don't think weight is that different standard v6 vs. turbo - it's just that all Sports and Platinums came standard on 20" rims and therefore all got Hankooks I think. I still wouldn't buy them again (will likely go BFG) but want to know ASAP if I have to pursue warranty replacement.

17 Platinum with ~19k.

All 4 barely passed inspection last month which lead me to looking into the Hankooks.

I called Hankook and they would barely talk to me. Told me to take it to the dealer where i purchased. We have bought our last 2 cars at a ford dealer in another state and had them delivered as we saved like 3-5K from our local dealer's best price. After explaining to the Hankook rep she begrudgingly told me to try my local dealer.

The explorer has a recall out anyway so I set up an appointment and mentioned the tires. They had "vaguely" heard of the issue but not dealt with it. They were eager to do what they could.

Ford called a little bit ago and Hankook prorated $180/tire for $720. They told me that the dealer would be reimbursed as long as i bought the new tires from them. Glad to get the prorate but tires from the dealer are costing me around $30-40/tire more than other shops who quoted me. I could probably fight it but with the car already there and then scheduling for another shop on top of arguing with them, it just isnt worth it and i went with the yokohama geolandar for $997 total.

So for ~$280 out of pocket im picking up a 65K rated tire and hopefully not looking at tires again for the next 5-6 years.

Im glad I looked into. The ford guys told me that this is simply the wrong tire for this size/weight SUV. They think Hankook is one of the better brands and to not hold it against them. The (correct) hankooks and yokohamas are what they put on most of their explorers.

Hope this helps someone!

edit... Picked up the car and had the surprise of it being $100 cheaper than their quote. They said the parts guy quoted the wrong # or something (im usually on the opposite side of this exchange...) So 897-720=~$180 out of pocket for 4x Yokohama Geolandar 255/50r20 - that is much more competative with the other shops i quoted.

17 Platinum with ~19k.

All 4 barely passed inspection last month which lead me to looking into the Hankooks.

I called Hankook and they would barely talk to me. Told me to take it to the dealer where i purchased. We have bought our last 2 cars at a ford dealer in another state and had them delivered as we saved like 3-5K from our local dealer's best price. After explaining to the Hankook rep she begrudgingly told me to try my local dealer.

The explorer has a recall out anyway so I set up an appointment and mentioned the tires. They had "vaguely" heard of the issue but not dealt with it. They were eager to do what they could.

Ford called a little bit ago and Hankook prorated $180/tire for $720. They told me that the dealer would be reimbursed as long as i bought the new tires from them. Glad to get the prorate but tires from the dealer are costing me around $30-40/tire more than other shops who quoted me. I could probably fight it but with the car already there and then scheduling for another shop on top of arguing with them, it just isnt worth it and i went with the yokohama geolandar for $997 total.

So for ~$280 out of pocket im picking up a 65K rated tire and hopefully not looking at tires again for the next 5-6 years.

Im glad I looked into. The ford guys told me that this is simply the wrong tire for this size/weight SUV. They think Hankook is one of the better brands and to not hold it against them. The (correct) hankooks and yokohamas are what they put on most of their explorers.

Hope this helps someone!
That "wrong tire" argument just doesn't hold up -- I still haven't found anyone with an '18 or '19 who has had any tire problems, even just accelerated wear? Or am I wrong here? If it was an engineering issue the problems would have continued to persist instead of seemingly being concentrated a few years back.

That "wrong tire" argument just doesn't hold up -- I still haven't found anyone with an '18 or '19 who has had any tire problems, even just accelerated wear? Or am I wrong here? If it was an engineering issue the problems would have continued to persist instead of seemingly being concentrated a few years back.
As mentioned in this thread, the tire being used is shown as a passenger car tire on the Hankook website. Their SUV tire is listed there as well and is different.

Pete

As mentioned in this thread, the tire being used is shown as a passenger car tire on the Hankook website. Their SUV tire is listed there as well and is different.

Pete
Sorry I must have missed that -- is there any designator that tells an owner which is which? Or did they keep everything the same and just change the tire itself?

Sorry I must have missed that -- is there any designator that tells an owner which is which? Or did they keep everything the same and just change the tire itself?
Not a problem Michael. The post is buried back in the thread. I don't think there is a designator but then I've never actually looked into it. without going back and checking the website, I believe the load ratings may be the same.

Peter

Im sure the ford guy was simply telling me what his Hankook rep told him so ill just take it for what it is. Regardless, at least hankook owned up to the mistake. 2 of my tires were so visibly damaged that i was concerned driving on them even when passing inspection. It kind of sucks going out of pocket at all but its not too bad in the big picture life of the car imho.

Im sure the ford guy was simply telling me what his Hankook rep told him so ill just take it for what it is. Regardless, at least hankook owned up to the mistake. 2 of my tires were so visibly damaged that i was concerned driving on them even when passing inspection. It kind of sucks going out of pocket at all but its not too bad in the big picture life of the car imho.
Yeah I agree, that's totally what that explanation sounded like. If you're not familiar with the timing of the wear issue it would also make sense, I've seen the "passenger tire" designation so it fits the narrative nicely.

I know - but I've been asking around the forum and haven't found a single person with an '18 or '19 that's had issues with these tires...

My 18 Limited has about 9600 miles. The tires were rotated 3 weeks ago. They look a little worn to me, but no visible peeling, etc... I'll keep my eyes out. I had the ones on my 16 XLT replaced in just under two years.

I looked at several explorers that had Hankooks on them when I was looking for my car and they all had nearly bald or bald tires. The dealerships said they'd put new tires on, but that it was a common issue with those tires to only last about 14k miles, which is crazy to me as someone who drives 20k+ miles a year, lol. We found many poor reviews on them as well at various sites online. These were all 2017-2018 explorers, though I don't specifically know what model tire, but I did decide that I definitely didn't want those tires on my vehicle, lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi

I've just bought a 2016 Explorer sport out in the Philippines and it has the defective hankook tyres, I'm having a nightmare with Ford or Hankook accepting liability
I'm aware of the SSM47195 but they don't seem to want to know

Is there any official document from Ford or Hankook that I could get a copy?
Has anyone got any advice or had tyres replaced outside of the USA?

Back