NEWPORTNJ

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
ST.
2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator experience delays, automaker says all is well
A new report paints a picture of quality woes, but Ford says everything is normal.

SEPTEMBER 13, 2019 11:26 AM PDT

2020-lincoln-aviator-002.jpg
2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator at dealerships may find stock fairly limited as Ford routes the SUVs for additional quality inspections.

The news stems from a Detroit Free Press report that cites multiple unnamed sources claiming Ford has been unable to adequately fix a number of issues with both SUVs. The two SUVs have since been shipped from the Chicago assembly plant to Ford's Flat Rock plant in Michigan. The sources added temporary tents now house repair parts for a variety of issues.

Roadshow spoke with a Ford manufacturing representative who called the process anything but unusual.

"All of our new Ford Explorers and Lincoln Aviators undergo additional inspections to ensure they are built with the top quality our customers expect, which is part of our quality process," the representative said. She added the Chicago assembly plant's location makes it difficult to park thousands of SUVs and perform additional quality checks.

The Free Press cited an unnamed source that named a few of the problems the SUVs reportedly face. They allegedly include chassis and transmissions issues in the Explorer, air conditioners that only blow hot air in both the Explorer and Aviator, and suspension issues with the Aviator.

Ford did not speak to the alleged issues named in the report but underscored that before these SUVs go to dealers, the automaker is "making sure they're built with quality."

2020-ford-explorer-hybrid-91.jpg

Emme Hall/Roadshow
Ford told Roadshow the quality inspection process is ongoing, with Explorers and Aviators shipped from Chicago to Flat Rock. There, the representative said the SUVs have access to the right people for another quality check. She highlighted the fact these workers are performing the inspections when they're not building the Mustang or Continental. There has been no disruption to Mustang or Continental production, she added.

The automaker has previously carried out similar procedures for the Fusion, MKZ, F-150, Edge and MKX models.

Last month, Ford issued two recalls that also involved the new SUVs. The first surrounds a missing park release cover, while the second was for missing seat restraints. The original report said workers are working 12-hour shifts and seven days a week to ensure the SUVs undergo the proper repairs and quality checks, which Ford also confirmed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't heard anything regarding chassis issues and only transmission issue I read about was the gear selector. Hopefully it is nothing major. (cringe)

I don't really know except it seems that recent orders look like they are being processed in a more timely manner which would seem to indicate that the assembly line issues may have been resolved.

Peter

I don't really know except it seems that recent orders look like they are being processed in a more timely manner which would seem to indicate that the assembly line issues may have been resolved.

Peter
Well, I hope so. I should be getting my order number sometime next week, and hope that in a week or two after i get my Vin number... What you think is that a good hope ?

Just got mine this week! While the Tech stuff is somewhat Confusing. WE are Enjoying it! Came out of a 2016 BMW X 5 which my wife Never liked. Maybe this next weekend we can try it out on a road trip. Im Very Happy with it!! No regrets..Yet!

My first order is still in Transit..almost 60 days and counting. We only have 1 Ford dealer in my town. Reached out 50-100 miles and found one.

Hard pass immediately if you have not ordered one already, you will signing up for a year or two of recalls, campaigns and all the crap to deal with all sorts of quality issues.

this is bad for Ford, they had 9y to get this right...!

Hard pass immediately if you have not ordered one already, you will signing up for a year or two of recalls, campaigns and all the crap to deal with all sorts of quality issues.

First, if you dont expect any type of issue on a 1st year MY, then you should stick to your two feet for transportation. It is to be expected as they csnt test every single scenario that could creep up as an issue. However, that does not give Ford a pass for the extent of issues and lack of communication. This IS why it took 5+ weeks of stock orders till the O2B was given and the cause of the backlog for repairs.

Second, Ford did not start on the 2020 9 years ago... or 8 years.. or even 7 years.

Reality is, anyone who orders now should be in the clear for any of these issues being they will be scheduled mid November and puts them 6 months into the build cycle.

I still expect issues to creep up over the new few years, it is bound to happen and that goes for any new model from any mass produced vehicle.

So many people say you should never buy a “first year production model”. I’ve bought too many first year models to count but only had one lemon, the 2015 F150 platinum. Hopefully the ST doesn’t have too many issues. Minor ones are no biggie, it’s major issues that concern me. However mine was built this week and shipped so I’m going to assume the chassis and transmission issues have already been dealt with on the assembly line.

Same article already posted.

It all makes sense though.. these insane delays have to be caused by something so I think there is merit to the article.

I posted before but will say it again. The worst part about it is Ford not communicating. Would have more respect if they would just tell us what is going on and it would be good PR showing that they are aware, they admit it and are adiment that issues will be fixed before getting into customers hands.

Keeping mute and denying everything is going to hurt them more.

Same article already posted.

It all makes sense though.. these insane delays have to be caused by something so I think there is merit to the article.

I posted before but will say it again. The worst part about it is Ford not communicating. Would have more respect if they would just tell us what is going on and it would be good PR showing that they are aware, they admit it and are adiment that issues will be fixed before getting into customers hands.

Keeping mute and denying everything is going to hurt them more.

exactly, they haven’t learned a thing from the PowerShit issues....pretend there’s no problems when the world is actually falling apart.

Well. I was at my dealer today and got the order number VIN will be available in a week or so. I should him the article and he knew about it. H was told by Ford that the ones on the hold were the first built, 2nd built kinks were worked out and that the article was written by a reporter who dislike Ford and that Ford will release a statement soon regarding such. I have had many first year builds and only two of them gave me issue 2011 Explorer Limited and 1999 Ford Windstar, which was a piece of -----. Well i am a big fan of Ford and hope that these issues are resolved for everyone if they happen.
I have had 1999-Windstar 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2005 Freestyle Limited-2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2008 Cadillac CTS Limited Edition 2011 Explorer Limited 2014 Limited Explorer 2017 Platinum Explorer and Just ordered 2020 Explorer ST....Love them all, and my dealer really helps when issues come up.

Well. I was at my dealer today and got the order number VIN will be available in a week or so. I should him the article and he knew about it. H was told by Ford that the ones on the hold were the first built, 2nd built kinks were worked out and that the article was written by a reporter who dislike Ford and that Ford will release a statement soon regarding such. I have had many first year builds and only two of them gave me issue 2011 Explorer Limited and 1999 Ford Windstar, which was a piece of -----. Well i am a big fan of Ford and hope that these issues are resolved for everyone if they happen.
I have had 1999-Windstar 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2005 Freestyle Limited-2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2008 Cadillac CTS Limited Edition 2011 Explorer Limited 2014 Limited Explorer 2017 Platinum Explorer and Just ordered 2020 Explorer ST....Love them all, and my dealer really helps when issues come up.

there won’t be any official statement....Ford is trying to bury the story in an attempt to shield stock prices - after their debt has been rated ‘junk’, they have to do everything they can to make this story go away asap.

2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator having big quality control issues

Just saw that article today. Not surprised at all. Lots of issues that Ford hasn't resolved yet, like the leaky plastic oil pans on the 2.7/3.0 or corrosion on aluminum hoods.

My lease on the 2018 Explorer XLT 3.5 V6 AWD is coming up in just over a year. I really wish I had gotten the 2.3L EcoBoost because that doesn't have the internal water pump problem and the 2.3's PTU is a different design that doesn't overheat.

If I'm getting a CD6 Explorer, chances are it will be a 2.3 EcoBoost AWD XLT because they are still using that leaky plastic oil pan on the 3.0

2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator having big quality control issues

Just saw that article today. Not surprised at all. Lots of issues that Ford hasn't resolved yet, like the leaky plastic oil pans on the 2.7/3.0 or corrosion on aluminum hoods.

My lease on the 2018 Explorer XLT 3.5 V6 AWD is coming up in just over a year. I really wish I had gotten the 2.3L EcoBoost because that doesn't have the internal water pump problem and the 2.3's PTU is a different design that doesn't overheat.

If I'm getting a CD6 Explorer, chances are it will be a 2.3 EcoBoost AWD XLT because they are still using that leaky plastic oil pan on the 3.0

This (articles) have been posted a few times already across the forum.

My contacts are saying some of this is getting embellished a little, yes they admit issues but all will be properly fixed and most if not all are already fixed in production.

I suffered like many of us with a Lemon Law return of my first year build 2011 but the build process for the 2020 is apparently much more refined and advanced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My contacts are saying some of this is getting embellished a little, yes they admit issues but all will be properly fixed and most if not all are already fixed in production.

I suffered like many of us with a Lemon Law return of my first year build 2011 but the build process for the 2020 is apparently much morefined and advanced.
Yes its like everything. People like to exaggerate. You also have those play haters. I wonder if we will have those Ford service tech that were on during the 11,12,13,year to help when needed.

Back