Can someone tell me what model trans I have | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone tell me what model trans I have

Hirini

Reaction score
City, State
Nz
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer xlt
I’ve got a thought was a 2001 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc I ran vin thru and it’s actually a 2002 the num on the trans is 4L2P 7000 BB and doesn’t have a dipstick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sa
It's a 5R55W since it doesn't have a dipstick. The 5R55E has a dipstick. Does the title say that it's a 2001 or a 2002? What about the build date sticker?
says it’s a 2001 but when I run the vin thru the ford vin search comes up 2002 the build date is that on the same sticker as the 4L2P num

Does it look like a 2nd gen or a 3rd gen?

Ford actually started selling 2002 models in January of 2001, so some 2002 models were built in late 2000.

Crazy!

What's the 10th Vin digit, that's the year iirc

3rd gens began with 5R55W, then switched to 5R55S in either '03 or '04. My '04 is 5R55S. They differ only in the gear ratio of 2nd. gear, but switch one for the other will throw CEL codes for "incorrect gear ratio". imp

Mine also has "2" as the tenth digit, it has no dipstick for the 5R55W tranny, everything says 2002 for its year and the build date is 7/17/01. It's considered an early build 2002. You should check the sticker on the drivers door pillar for more information.

What about the part num for solenoid block pack all the listings say for 5R55W but found out there is 3 types would any 1 know the part num without having to take part out

Look at the sticker on the inside driver's door that your vin is on, down near the bottom you'll see the word axle with a number under it, right next to that you'll see TR with a letter code under it, that's your transmission letter code. If it's a V you have a 5R55s. My donor car was an 02 and used the 5R55S

Look at the sticker on the inside driver's door that your vin is on, down near the bottom you'll see the word axle with a number under it, right next to that you'll see TR with a letter code under it, that's your transmission letter code. If it's a V you have a 5R55s. My donor car was an 02 and used the 5R55S
Thanks for that mine has the letter R

Back