• Register Today It's free!

Replacing radiator

wagonmaster69

Reaction score
City, State
Hacienda Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0 ohv with 278,x.. miles.
Going to replace the radiator so rockauto or is there another site to get a good one for a decent price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1999 4.0 ohv with 278,x.. miles.
Going to replace the radiator so rockauto or is there another site to get a good one for a decent price.

@wagonmaster69,

OK - I just checked RA for you using the parameters you listed ('99 OHV) and assuming you have an Auto Trans.

Here's (3) reputable choices that are currently available:

* MOTORCRAFT RAD26 for $205.79
* DENSO 2219071 for $109.85
* SPECTRA PREMIUM CU2310 for $91.79

Here's a 5% off discount code from Rock Auto

5% Discount Code: 7218F8D293D908
Expires: October 23, 2019

Input Discount Code into "How did you hear about us" box.

You can benchmark their prices VS Amazon.

In my opinion, out of the (3) I've listed, you'd be paying $100 more for the Motorcraft name (it's probably made by Valeo).

I've previously purchased a Valeo, there's nothing special about it - it gave me 70 to 80,000 miles, and eventually cracked in the drivers side tank, the exact same place as the OEM/Original FORD.

Currently I'm running a Spectra Premium (Made in Canada).

Denso, Spectra and TYC (not available) are all worthy replacements.

With the design of these radiators (Plastic Tanks, Rubber Gasket, Aluminum Element) you get around 100,000 miles out of them, and anything extra is a gift ;)

At least with the 4.0 OHV Radiators, they're only a 20 - 30 minute simple swap out, and you're on the road again.

Oops yea auto and I guess I got 178,x.. bonus
Mine is on the passenger side of the radiator.

I'd pay the extra $10 for Denso. They have consistently high quality aftermarket parts.

@wagonmaster69

FWIW - I was on Amazon for some stuff for my wife and just for kicks I priced the SPECTRA PREMIUM CU2310 at Amazon - it's $95 with free 2 day shipping.

It's also SOLD by Amazon - not a third party - so you get Amazon's hassle free warranty, and if necessary, free return shipping.

Amazon doesn't carry Denso's offering.

For what it's worth I bought the denso it was a 1 row :(
When I bought a new engine I got the spectra :) 2 row much better rad sorry it's just better in just about every way still running it today

Both were bought on rock auto:dpchug:

@donalds

That right there is some good hands on info!

I was recommending Denso's radiator offering because my experience with their aftermarket parts is similar to @masospaghetti

To expand on that thought, last week on Rock Auto I priced Motorcraft spark plug wires for my Ex - the ONLY brand I've chosen to use in 15 years I've owned my Ex.

BUT - this time around, I saw a price increase on them - $37 - and I took a chance on Denso's offering for $23.

Additionally, added to the price increase, there was a significant difference in the delivery charge between the two - I believe the Motorcraft offering was manufacturer drop shipped from Michigan and were around $7, and the Denso's were manufacture drop shipped from So Cal/PRK and were $3

When rec'd and inspected, the Denso spark plug wires are of equal quality to the Motorcraft, and close to half the price.

The Denso wires are 8mm, the coil connectors have the factory specified retainer clips, and on the spark plug end clicked on the head of the spark plug with a healthy "snap" that I could feel and hear.

To round it out, Denso also throws in a small tube of dielectric grease in the box.

Overall, I'm totally satisfied with 'em and if they give me good service, Denso wires will be my go to product in the future.

When I bought a new engine I got the spectra :) 2 row much better rad sorry it's just better in just about every way still running it today

Both were bought on rock auto:dpchug:

Certain configurations came with an OE 1-row radiator. Can't fault Denso for meeting the OE specification. Spectra is not a bad brand either.

I've always had a good experience with spectra products on various vehicles

Back