2016 Explorer Sport - Tire replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport - Tire replacement

The tires have around 27,000 miles on them.

I hit a curb and cut the side wall of the front passenger tire, yep.... Looking for some guidance on replacement.
I called a local shop and they will only replace all 4 tires but it would be based on how much tread is left on the remaining 3. I assume since they have around 27,000 miles the amount of remaining tread does not qualify keeping them on.

So my question is do I really need to replace all 4? Can I just do 2 (same axle)? or maybe even 1 if the tread is acceptable on the remaining tires (doubtful)?

EDIT:
I called my local Ford shop and they are recommending 2 tires since its 4WD and not AWD.

The recommendation to replace all 4 is so that you don't have different diameter tires tearing up the AWD system. I wouldn't chance it with one or even 2 tires. If they are the stock tires, you can get much better quality tires for around $1K.

Why didn't shop just get you 1 exact replacement My Michelin tires will go 70k when I replace them.

twobanger, the AWD system needs tires that are the same diameter, otherwise you risk tearing up the PTU.

Back