HELP! 2005 Ford Explorer Fuel Pump ???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 2005 Ford Explorer Fuel Pump ????

Angel007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I need to replace fuel pump on my 2005 Ford Explorer. I purchased a fuel pump which the Auto Store matched and it doesn't match my fuel pump. Mine has a oblong female plug-in molded into the top of fuel tank. The one I purchased has two leads with male plug-in's one square and one round.
Why the differance and How do I convert fuel pump attachments ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a V-8 or a V-6 in the Explorer? They may be different depending on the engine, because if it has flex fuel it may be different.

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a V-8 or a V-6 in the Explorer? They may be different depending on the engine, because if it has flex fuel it may be different.

Hey Mike, Thanks for your reply, I have a 4.0 liter I guess it's a V-6

Check your vin, the V6 4.0 comes as either a flex fuel which is vin k or regular which is vin E. I believe it's the 8th digit in the VIN number. Flex fuel will use a different pump than regular.

Thanks for the heads-up! I've spoke to Auto Store after Auto Store & Never got that info. Mine has a K. After getting that info I called the Auto Store and they still state that's the only fuel pump for my vehicle. As I stated the fuel pump that came out has a female plug in molded into the top of fuel pump and the one I purchased has two male pigtails coming out. Thier stating to plug in the pig tails directly to the vehicles computer and bypass the female plug in. Does that sound Correct to you??? I really appreciate your HELP!

Below are 3 photos of the fuel pump that came out of my truck.

20191006_191731.jpg

20191006_191755.jpg

20191006_191816.jpg

Not to sound rude, could you please check again on your engine size? That fuel pump is used in the v8 4.6. the 4.0 uses the pump with the double connector

I did a search on RockAuto.com & for a 2005 Explorer w/flex fuel this is the fuel pump they show.
More Information for MOTORCRAFT PFS418
Can you post a pic of you old pump assembly?.

Hey Mike, I just wanted to give you a personal thanks for your help and knowledge on my fuel pump. After gathering the knowledge from you, I've been told that for a short span between 2004 & 2005 Ford put in the fuel pump that is in my vehicle. This has become a Pain In The A.. When I finally get to the bottom of this I'll post it just to save other people with thus same problem alot of time and headaches.
Thanks Again!,

Not to sound rude, could you please check again on your engine size? That fuel pump is used in the v8 4.6. the 4.0 uses the pump with the double connector

Hey, Thanks for the post, and No, I don't consider anyone that's trying to help or has knowledge rude. I do have a V6 flex, and from what I've been Told, for a short time span between 2004 & 2005 Ford did put the fuel pump that I have into the Explorers and discontinued them & that's why I'm running into the problems that I am having. When I get to the bottom of this, I'll make a post to avoid other people having the same problem. Take Care & thanks for responding

Angel007, you are welcome. That is what we are all here for to try to help others & get help ourselves when we need it.

My donor car was a 2002 flex fuel v6 that I took the motor and trans from for my 2005. It's a junk car now but it ran fine before that, I'll drop the tank Friday and see what pump it used. I wonder if it would be possible for you to put in a pump from the 4.6

Dropping the tank won't take long on that since I've already removed the driveshafts and cross members and drained the tank. If that pump matches yours I'll let u know if you'd like pm me your address I'll send you the pump. That car is just a parts car and if the pump matches yours it wouldnt match with my 05

This may be a stupid question but why not replace just the pump and not the whole sender unit

Some people do, I know a couple guys that pull the pump apart and replace the brushes in the pumps

I wouldn't go that far but replacing just the pump itself is better than the cost of a whole unit
Plus you have more control over what pump is in there the sending unit is motorcraft and works to boot ....edit ....I see the sending unit is broken.

Anyoneknowthe part number for this pump? I can't find one anywhere..

Anyoneknowthe part number for this pump? I can't find one anywhere..
Robert, you would be best to start a new post with the engine size of your 04 Explorer. It could be a V-6 or a V-8 & the pumps are different.

Back