2016, 2017, 2018 Explorer Sport Trim- Why? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which year explorer sport should I buy?

Results are only viewable after voting.
LED fog lights were optional on 2016's and became standard in 2017.

BTW my $30 Amazon LED fog light bulbs have been working great for the past 4 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In October 2015, out of the 3 Sports located for me 2 had LED fog lights and 1 (the one I bought) had halogen. LED fog lights were indeed a $150 option.

Oh Ford lol.. I also love that on the 2019 ordering guide they list the "LED signature lighting" as limited to the Platinum trim, but I know they called it that for all trims back to the 2016 model year.
Base trims don't have it, and neither do PIUs.

Regarding LED high beams, my mom's 2018 Limited has Halogen High Beams.

Only the 2018 platinum had the LED high beams.

For me, I went with a 2018 due to the fog light shape and the quad tip exhaust (purely preference).

Only the 2018 platinum had the LED high beams.

For me, I went with a 2018 due to the fog light shape and the quad tip exhaust (purely preference).

If the 7th digit of the VIN is an F, its a Limited.

If its an H, its a Platinum.

In October 2015, out of the 3 Sports located for me 2 had LED fog lights and 1 (the one I bought) had halogen. LED fog lights were indeed a $150 option.
Chances are that 2 of them were early builds and the other was a later build. I have never seen the 'type' of fog light as an option. Do you recall how much that option was? I looked at the 2016 Order Guide and there was no mention of fog light options.

Peter

It's been 4 years to this week since I bought my 2016. They would have all been early MY 2016 builds as this was October of 2015 when I made the purchase.

If I get a chance to see if I still have the pdf's of the window stickers, I'll report back.

Also, could it be a USA vs Canada difference in the order guide?

..............................Also, could it be a USA vs Canada difference in the order guide?
As far as I know, there is only one Order Guide.

Peter

I found a pdf from one of the located Sports with optional LED foglamps. VIN 1FM5K8GT7GGB25377 Build Date 09 25 15

Base Price $43,500.00
401A $4,300.00
All Weather Floor Mats $75.00
Front Fog Lamp - LED $150.00

Total Vehicle and Options/other $48,025.00
Destination and Delivery $945.00

Total MSRP $48,970.00

Other minor (cosmetic, personal preference) differences leaning me towards the '18 vs earlier include the exhaust design and front grill and LED foglights (I don't care for the design and the mismatch of color temperature between halogen foglamps and LED headlights on the '17's and earlier.)

Fog lamps are meant to only be used when it's foggy. They are supposed to be a warmer color temperature more towards yellow to cut through fog instead of creating glare. Colder fog light temperature to match the headlights is a substantial downgrade that Ford should never have offered. They should have gone with warmer LEDs, even more yellow than the halogens to eliminate any customer confusion about the issue.

I finally found what I was looking for and purchased it last week. Thanks to everyone who gave some input. I ended up purchasing a 2018 sport last week. I chose a 2018 over a 2017 due to the cosmetic changes that someone here mentioned.

I don't pay for the hotspot on my '18 Sport, but I like the ability to use FordPass to remotely lock/unlock doors and also check on vehicle location and fuel level. It also allows for in-car delivery services, which I have yet to use. I don't know that I'd pay extra for it though. The downside is that the hotspot allows the vehicle to automatically share more vehicle data with Ford than I'd like. Other minor (cosmetic, personal preference) differences leaning me towards the '18 vs earlier include the exhaust design and front grill and LED foglights (I don't care for the design and the mismatch of color temperature between halogen foglamps and LED headlights on the '17's and earlier.)

Steve, the cosmetic changes you pointed out actually pushed me toward a 2018 over a 2017. Especially the exhaust. Thanks!

Back