SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

just checked, there is a SYNC 3 update available, but it is JR3T-14G381-AS SYNC3 v3.0.
I have v3.0.14 installed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

autoinstall says it is v3.0.21

just checked, there is a SYNC 3 update available, but it is JR3T-14G381-AS SYNC3 v3.0.
I have v3.0.14 installed
Did you install the Sync 3 in your Explorer? If so, see my previous post about build number.

Peter

I just installed a Sync 3 upgrade on my 2016. So far so good! There is one U3000 error on the APIM that I haven't figured out otherwise everything is working fine. Note that for CarPlay you'll need to use part HU5Z19A387A, not the dual port hub. Otherwise you won't be able to use the secondary USB port. I put the new GPS antenna on the base of the original antenna behind the IPC. After the install and programming it is important to lock the car with the engine off for 5 minutes. This will reset the module communication.

Looks Awesome. Im thinking and wanting to do the same. You mentioned programming. What all programing is needed to be done with forscan? I have a 2016 limited with safety package by the way. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Looking into upgrading my 2016 xlt 202 package to sync 3. My sync 2 is acting up.

Appreciate any tips or advice on purchasing the apim and screen.

Edit: from what I understand, I can just find one out of a 2017 Explorer, and swap it out. I don't care about losing the factory navigation ( doesn't work anyway:rolleyes:) as I can just use Android Auto. Also forfupdates I can use my '19 Ranger Vin.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Looking into upgrading my 2016 xlt 202 package to sync 3. My sync 2 is acting up.

Appreciate any tips or advice on purchasing the apim and screen.

Edit: from what I understand, I can just find one out of a 2017 Explorer, and swap it out. I don't care about losing the factory navigation ( doesn't work anyway:rolleyes:) as I can just use Android Auto. Also forfupdates I can use my '19 Ranger Vin.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything.
Does it Have to be a 2017? can 2018 work also? if not what's the difference between the two?

2017+ will work, as long as it was equipped with SYNC 3.
My 2016 has MFT and thinking of upgrading to sync3. Was just curious to know which range of units I need to look for. Can't really justify paying 1500 to 2000 for a new unit when I can do it for a 1/4 of that price. Especially if they are not will to give me a good price for my MFT unit.

My 2016 has MFT and thinking of upgrading to sync3. Was just curious to know which range of units I need to look for. Can't really justify paying 1500 to 2000 for a new unit when I can do it for a 1/4 of that price. Especially if they are not will to give me a good price for my MFT unit.
Source it from alibaba.

Hello guys, I just bought the following unit from Ebay.

Ford Lincoln Sync 3 Module and Screen - 2019 Model - Includes CarPlay. | eBay

I was about 99% done with the installation when I realized the brackets that came with the unit doesn't fit. I attempted to switch out the bracket from my Sync 2 unit but it doesn't fit the Sync 3 unit. Is there a special bracket i need to buy? I plugged the new unit in and it works flawless, I just can't install. I was so excited, this definitely just ruined my day.

Duct tape?:)
If you go to the top right of the page and type the word bracket where it says "Search" and then select "Search this thread only" you will get 2 pages of posts that contain the word "Bracket". You can check those to see if any of them are of any help while waiting for another member to jump in here.

Peter

Take a look at this spreadsheet for APIM part numbers. As for displays and brackets, there are two versions and the Explorer uses the recessed display. The correct bracket is needed as well.

Sync 3 APIM Reference

My wife has a 2014 Ford Fusion, I decided to install the unit on her car and order the correct one for myself. Her's is done, I just need to program the unit...wish me luck! Mine should be in within the next couple of days. This projects funds quickly doubled!

Since my last post i was able to complete my change over. I had almost no issues. It had to go through a couple of GPS antennas and also had to remove the MFT antenna which was located behind the instrument cluster.
* I installed the new GPS antenna in the same location as the old, no problem since from Amazon.
* APIM/screen with NAV from a 2017 XLT with Sync 3 for 350 from a wreck yard in California.
* Been playing with different mods using Forscan with no issues.
These are some of the pics of my install. Total time was about 2 hours including sync 3 upgrade to latest build of version 3.

IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg
IMG_1593.jpg
IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1599.jpg

Since my last post i was able to complete my change over. I had almost no issues. It had to go through a couple of GPS antennas and also had to remove the MFT antenna which was located behind the instrument cluster.
* I installed the new GPS antenna in the same location as the old, no problem since from Amazon.
* APMI/screen with NAV from a 2017 XLT with Sync 3 for 350 from a wreck yard in California.
* Been playing with different mods using Forscan with no issues.
These are some of the pics of my install. Total time was about 2 hours including sync 3 upgrade to latest build of
I see you have a split screen map and audio. Is that a built in NAV unit? I ask because I got a non nav unit I put in my wife's 2013 for $20. Yeah that's got all the zeros. Another $50 in a parts screen to Frankenstein together a little in the antenna and had to go back for the USB port but I got a great deal on it. Anyway was wondering if that was the difference or if a software update will let me split screen google maps or waze.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see you have a split screen map and audio. Is that a built in NAV unit? I ask because I gowith a non nav unit I put in my wife's 2013 for $20. Yeah that's got all the zeros. Another $50 in a parts screen to Frankenstein together a little in the antenna and had to go back for the USB port but I got a great deal on it. Anyway was wondering if that was the difference or if a software update will let me split screen google maps or waze.

That's the built in GPS in the APIM. Current software is Sync 3 version 3 build 19205.

Back