No HD Radio Reception | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No HD Radio Reception

N3DD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
I no longer am receiving HD radio reception on both known AM & FM HD stations. I did a Sync3 factory reset which did not cure it. So I ran the AHU diagnostic for radio signal strength (which can be seen while driving) and noticed the signal strength varied between 40 and 60. I'm thinking that you need a much stronger signal than that to receive HD. I'm also leaning towards this is an antenna issue and not the radio. If that's the case I think they have to drop the headliner to replace the shark fin.

Anyone see this issue before?

UPDATE Was in for service this week for other issues and was told diagnostics show a U300 error code. Dealership had no idea what that was so they have been waiting for a response from Ford for the past 2 days

UPDATE 2 It's been over a week now and Ford has no answer as to how to proceed with this issue. Only a few days ago it was referred to Engineering. I'm also now noticing that the SiriusXM channels take quite some time to initially load which lends me to believe it's still the antenna. (I'm assuming the AM/FM and XM antennas are in the shark fin). The problem the dealership is having is that since there was that U300 error code Ford is still trying to identify that and not authorizing any onsite troubleshooting. If they eventually do approve it they do not have any workshop instructions on how to tke down the headliner, etc. I will be applying more persuasive pressure this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I no longer am receiving HD radio reception on both known AM & FM HD stations. I did a Sync3 factory reset which did not cure it. So I ran the AHU diagnostic for radio signal strength (which can be seen while driving) and noticed the signal strength varied between 40 and 60. I'm thinking that you need a much stronger signal than that to receive HD. I'm also leaning towards this is an antenna issue and not the radio. If that's the case I think they have to drop the headliner to replace the shark fin.

Anyone see this issue before?

UPDATE Was in for service this week for other issues and was told diagnostics show a U300 error code. Dealership had no idea what that was so they have been waiting for a response from Ford for the past 2 days

UPDATE 2 It's been over a week now and Ford has no answer as to how to proceed with this issue. Only a few days ago it was referred to Engineering. I'm also now noticing that the SiriusXM channels take quite some time to initially load which lends me to believe it's still the antenna. (I'm assuming the AM/FM and XM antennas are in the shark fin). The problem the dealership is having is that since there was that U300 error code Ford is still trying to identify that and not authorizing any onsite troubleshooting. If they eventually do approve it they do not have any workshop instructions on how to tke down the headliner, etc. I will be applying more persuasive pressure this week.

***Has Ford advised you of the cause and fix action yet?

Welcome to the Forum Patrick.:wave:
It's possible the 2020 system is different than the one in your 2019. Just confirming that you are not having the "Acquiring Signal" issue?

Peter

It was referred to Ford engineering last week and they have not responded to the dealership yet as to what they think the cause is and therefore no work instructions. The Regional Ford Rep was emailed on Friday to try and expedite some kind of response. I'm stopping by the dealership tomorrow to check status.

Peter

This is not the "Acquiring Signal" issue. It's only with the AM/FM radio not being able to receive HD. Although I do notice the Sirius XM channels taking a long time to initially load which I think points to the antenna. The problem is they found a U300 error code and are trying to diagnose that and not troubleshooting.

UPDATE 3 Now going on 3 weeks with no response from Ford despite having the dealership GM open a case and request direction. The dealership is willing to start troubleshooting by starting with replacing the antenna (swapping it from a stock vehicle). However, they do not have work instructions to do so (taking down the headliner) which scares me. I'm going to discuss this further with the service manager tomorrow.

I've thought of suggesting starting the buy-back procedure to maybe get them to move faster but I don't think the dealership cares about that. Does anyone know how that starts?

UPDATE 4 The dealership is trying to move this forward by agreeing to order a new antenna but before I have them drop the headliner to do this I suggested we do a side by side comparison with a working HD radio and mine. We did the AHU Radio Signal diagnostics on specific AM and FM stations with my Limited parked next to a new Limited. The signal strengths were exactly the same between the vehicles but the new one had HD and mine did not suggesting that it was not a signal issue (antenna). So now the dealership is relating these findings to Ford engineering for direction.

How do you get the Radio Signal diagnostics screen and does it also check signal levels from SiriusXM and GPS?

Press and hold the FFwd button on the steering wheel and the center console for 5 seconds and the speaker test will start. You can cancel that and get a choice of different tests to run. Choose AHU Diagnostics and you will see the radio signal strength test. There is also a test for satellites but I'm not sure if it's for GPS or SiriusXM. Most likely for GPS

Dumb question, but is the HD radio enabled? Got to settings, Radio, then there is a switch to turn on HD radio in the menu.

Yes, both AM and FM HD switches are enabled in the menus.

UPDATE 5 Brought it in for service today as Ford finally authorized the dealership to begin troubleshooting based on the assumption that there is poor signal strength (antenna, cable, connections etc.) since there is no specific work procedures for this issue. Ford also told the dealership to advise me that this could take an extended amount of time so the dealership put me into a rental. It's a new 2020 Explorer XLT (with no HD radio..LOL). The dealer said they will pick up 3 days then after that they will be looking to Ford to cover the rental. A week to fix an HD radio issue?

UPDATE 5 Brought it in for service today as Ford finally authorized the dealership to begin troubleshooting based on the assumption that there is poor signal strength (antenna, cable, connections etc.) since there is no specific work procedures for this issue. Ford also told the dealership to advise me that this could take an extended amount of time so the dealership put me into a rental. It's a new 2020 Explorer XLT (with no HD radio..LOL). The dealer said they will pick up 3 days then after that they will be looking to Ford to cover the rental. A week to fix an HD radio issue?
Thanks for posting about this problem. I did check my ST and the HD signal works great all the way into the country on stations up to 40 miles from the station antenna. My 2016 Sport on the same HD Station started to loose the HD signal about 30 miles out. Less range at night when the radio signal strength cuts back. The music is better than SiriusFM IMO, but depending on the time of day you get the ads on HD/FM.

As you stated, it is an assumption on Ford's part that this is the issue, so to troubleshoot a problem for which there are no specific work procedures an estimate of a week isn't that unusual. I think they may be 'playing it safe'. I'd be interested to hear Ford's remarks as far as picking up the extra rental day costs as they are under no obligation to do so.

Peter

UPDATE 6 So it's been a week now with the Limited in the shop. They fixed the intermittent Check Engine Light ( replaced a fuel injector, took 5 hours). Next they updated Sync to 19200 and finally on Thursday attacked the HD problem. They took an antenna amplifier out of a stock car and swapped that out with no luck. I guess that proves my point to them earlier about the signal level test. Now they've asked Ford to replace the radio unit and are awaiting approval. Note: this unit is somewhere in the real of the vehicle and not in the dash. They will also do the latest recall concerning the wire harness next to the AC pulley. Hopefully it does not take long for a radio unit or i'll tell them to take one out of a stock car. Since Ford is picking up the tab now for the loaner maybe it will happen sooner.

Next they updated Sync to 19200...

Press the VR button and make sure it doesn't say "Please say a command" when you get it back. Saw a video this week from a dealer that had only done a partial update by mistake where it had build 19200, but still was prompting that message.

Press the VR button and make sure it doesn't say "Please say a command" when you get it back. Saw a video this week from a dealer that had only done a partial update by mistake where it had build 19200, but still was prompting that message.

Will do

UPDATE 7 (and hopefully the last) The dealership finally fixed the issue by replacing the ACM (radio) module. Now the HD is working properly (6 weeks after reporting the problem). Along with taking care of the recalls they also updated SYNC to Build 19200.

Note: The build still has the option to say "Please say a command" but was set to Advanced mode. Out of curiosity, what did 19200 fix or add?

Note: The build still has the option to say "Please say a command" but was set to Advanced mode. Out of curiosity, what did 19200 fix or add?

So, when Advanced Mode is off, it still says "Please say a command"? If so, they screwed up the update. It won't say it now in either Novice or Advanced. Fixed or changed...list is way too long. I can only speak to my feature with any detail.

So, when Advanced Mode is off, it still says "Please say a command"? If so, they screwed up the update. It won't say it now in either Novice or Advanced. Fixed or changed...list is way too long. I can only speak to my feature with any detail.

Yes, when the Advanced Mode is off unfortunately it will say "Please say a command". Hopefully other fixes are installed properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My limited isn't showing any HD stations. I did read in the manual it says "if equipped" but how would I know? listed on on the build sheet? or somewhere else?

Back