Annoying things you have found that ford needs to fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Annoying things you have found that ford needs to fix

mikegrad77

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST Atlas Blue
me being a glass half empty guy, in starting the thread of “things that grind my gears”. I’ll start

When you or the passenger changes lumbar on the seat, Ford feels the need to display that on the screen. I don’t care if my wife is changing her seat settings.

Too many issues with the screen to mention. Ford needs a slew of developers fixing the UI and user experience. 1/3 a screen for the backup camera?

Passenger side front seat belt buckle clangs against the pillar when not in use. Going to have to duck tape that up.

Only able to show the tachometer on sport mode?

Poor design on the eco and normal modes on the cluster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Tach can be enabled via the display menus for other drive modes.

I’ve tried but haven’t been able to find that setting for the tach

Under Display Setup.

344741CF-9885-4E7B-83C9-A4EE8D6A64F3.jpeg

I do not like how slow the instrument cluster takes to show proper drive mode when changing. It should be near instantaneous when you turn the knob. It's like MFT.. turn the knob (push the touch screen) and wait.

me being a glass half empty guy, in starting the thread of “things that grind my gears”. I’ll start

When you or the passenger changes lumbar on the seat, Ford feels the need to display that on the screen. I don’t care if my wife is changing her seat settings.

Too many issues with the screen to mention. Ford needs a slew of developers fixing the UI and user experience. 1/3 a screen for the backup camera?

Passenger side front seat belt buckle clangs against the pillar when not in use. Going to have to duck tape that up.

Only able to show the tachometer on sport mode?

Poor design on the eco and normal modes on the cluster.
On the Aviator the back and 360 camera are full screen side by side. Haven’t tried the lumbar but doesn’t that go away? Interface seems seamless. I have the seatbelt issue on my 16 Edge Sport when the belt is unbuckled and turned backwards. If I flip it over it goes away.

Ok i found that, but i was hoping for a tach more like the one on sport mode. I thought i read a post here that could get the speedo in the middle of the display by shutting off the lane assist, but I haven’t been able to get it to work.

On the Aviator the back and 360 camera are full screen side by side. Haven’t tried the lumbar but doesn’t that go away? Interface seems seamless. I have the seatbelt issue on my 16 Edge Sport when the belt is unbuckled and turned backwards. If I flip it over it goes away.

It does go away, but it seems like an excessively long time.

Is it just me, or do other people notice some noises coming from under the car when you get in and start it? I can hear something, and feel the vibration in my feet.

10 things wrong with the ST, in a video satire.

10 - completely agree

9 - the grill looks nice, who cares about how big the opening is that you can barely see without kneeling in front and looking in.

8 - makes no sense. The 3.0 is a bigger 2.7. Not rocket science.

7 - umm.. ok.

6 - umm.. ok.

5- I see no issues with it at all.

4 - what's wrong?

3 - what's wrong?

2 - already proven by many that it is in the low 5s.

1- did I miss it?

Eh, don’t over analyze it, I just thought it was entertaining.

The plastic backs of these new seats are scratch prone. If they were pleather, the markings would come right off. I am assuming this is my kids backpacks scraping against the seats when we bring them to school. Love having to look at this for the next 8 years.

20190922_103024.jpg

The plastic backs of these new seats are scratch prone. If they were pleather, the markings would come right off. I am assuming this is my kids backpacks scraping against the seats when we bring them to school. Love having to look at this for the next 8 years.

View attachment 174039

Ive had these now in the 3rd car.’
Oasser Kick Mats Car Seat Back Protectors Back of Seat Organizers 2 Pack XL with 1 Tissue Box Clear 10 inches Ipad Holder 3 Large Storage Organizers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Y6F4SR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QK4HDbB9ZW5N2

The intelligent cruise control needs a reprogramming. It’s a cool feature but for example, setting +7 mph above posted speed makes sense in a 70mph zone, but not elsewhere, 42 in a 35 wouldn’t be appropriate. In Explorers the speed warning flashes non stop which is honestly just distracting.

Settings for a +/- for each specific speed limit, or a % above posted speed limit would make it much more usable. Considering how great the ACC is with lane centering I use it everyday in my Explorer Platinum in highways and interstates, but I’d like to be able to use the intelligent setting.

Watching the gauge change to the speed limit never ceases to impress me though.

The intelligent cruise control needs a reprogramming. It’s a cool feature but for example, setting +7 mph above posted speed makes sense in a 70mph zone, but not elsewhere, 42 in a 35 wouldn’t be appropriate. In Explorers the speed warning flashes non stop which is honestly just distracting.

Settings for a +/- for each specific speed limit, or a % above posted speed limit would make it much more usable. Considering how great the ACC is with lane centering I use it everyday in my Explorer Platinum in highways and interstates, but I’d like to be able to use the intelligent setting.

Watching the gauge change to the speed limit never ceases to impress me though.

I have found a quirk with intelligent cruise as well. I was on the highway set to 76mph in a 70 zone. I had been going along great for probably hours. However, I passed a truck weigh station and the Explorer read the 45mph speed limit sign that was way off the side exit road to the weigh station. At that point, the Explorer thought I had entered a 45mph zone and decreased my speed quite rapidly in the middle of the interstate. I caught it quickly, and thankfully it was light traffic. But it is proof that relying on anything "intelligent" is not reason to let your awareness down. The logic is not perfect.

I have found a quirk with intelligent cruise as well. I was on the highway set to 76mph in a 70 zone. I had been going along great for probably hours. However, I passed a truck weigh station and the Explorer read the 45mph speed limit sign that was way off the side exit road to the weigh station. At that point, the Explorer thought I had entered a 45mph zone and decreased my speed quite rapidly in the middle of the interstate. I caught it quickly, and thankfully it was light traffic. But it is proof that relying on anything "intelligent" is not reason to let your awareness down. The logic is not perfect.

Agreed. At the least, have an option to disengage braking to hit the new lower target speed rather than a severe sudden application of brake. Even a 70mph to a 60mph is an uncomfortable jolt as the system hits the brakes. I'd much rather the car do what I'd do... release throttle and just coast down to the lower speed.

Had a similar experience where the adaptive cruise correctly read the temporary 60 mph limit when entering a construction zone, but at the end the only posted sign read “end construction” so cruise stayed happily at 60 while everyone around me was accelerating. Had to disconnect the cruise control until I passed the next permanent speed limit sign.

I don’t consider any of this a defect, just a limit to what is otherwise wonderful technology and, like you say, you can’t stop paying attention while you drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish the "Reverse Brake Assist" could be permanently disabled instead of it being re-enabled each time the car is turned off.

I installed my hitch mount bike rack and its getting picked up by car's rear sensors as an obstacle and the "Reverse Brake Assist" feature is slamming on the brakes as I back up. It's giving me a small heart attack each time it happens because I think I have backed into something.

I can see in the vehicles settings > driver assistance > Reverse Brake Assist that I can turn it off. But much to my annoyance, if I turn the vehicle off and back on again, it resets the setting to enable Reverse Brake Assist again. These racks are meant to stay on the back of a vehicle more or less all the time. So I'm going to have to remember to go into the settings and manually disable the reverse brake assist each time I get into this vehicle. That's going to be extremely annoying.

Does anyone know of any work arounds?

Back