Ride/Noise comparison 2018 Sport vs 2020 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ride/Noise comparison 2018 Sport vs 2020 ST

newex62

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 ford explorer Sport
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2018 Explorer Sport. I love the vehicle and realize that some road noise is part of this model.
Has anyone driven the new 2020 ST? Is the road noise heard from inside substantially less than the 2018 Sport? I thought I read somewhere that the 2020 Explorer is their quietest model ever inside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I moved your thread to this 6th gen forum.

Peter

I have a 2018 Sport as well and I took a test drive of a 2020 St last Friday,
I can not really say that I notice a difference in road noise, due to the louder exhaust
noise on the ST.
I will know better this weekend, as i hope to pick my ST up on Friday.

Brian

I can't compare the Sport, but I can compare my 2016 Platinum to it.

1) Noise - The engine noise is a lot louder at idle, there is a low rumble inside the 2020 ST even when in park. Much more interior noise than a 2018 F-150 Limited with the Coyote V8. On my 2016 Platinum you can barely hear the engine at idle. Noise while driving is comparable, unless you are in Sport mode where it is much louder. I suspect the Platinum model will be quieter.

2) Handling is improved, less body sway though feels comparable to my 2016 with the Steeda sway bar installed. No more torque steer under heavy acceleration.

3) Power - MUCH more torque on the 2020 ST. It is very noticeable. Brake and throttle are more sensitive. Throttle is particularly sensitive in Sport mode.

4) Steering - 2016 Platinum has a light steering feel, not sure about the Sport. 2020 ST has a much heavier steering feel to it.

I have a 2018 Sport as well and I took a test drive of a 2020 St last Friday,
I can not really say that I notice a difference in road noise, due to the louder exhaust
noise on the ST.
I will know better this weekend, as i hope to pick my ST up on Friday.

Brian

The exhaust isnt louder, you are hearing the audio enhancement of engine noise through the speakers.

1) Noise - The engine noise is a lot louder at idle, there is a low rumble inside the 2020 ST even when in park. Much more interior noise than a 2018 F-150 Limited with the Coyote V8. On my 2016 Platinum you can barely hear the engine at idle. Noise while driving is comparable, unless you are in Sport mode where it is much louder. I suspect the Platinum model will be quieter

So far the aluminum F150 Limiteds (2016-2019) are only available with the 3.5 eco boost,

1) Noise - The engine noise is a lot louder at idle, there is a low rumble inside the 2020 ST even when in park. Much more interior noise than a 2018 F-150 Limited with the Coyote V8. On my 2016 Platinum you can barely hear the engine at idle. Noise while driving is comparable, unless you are in Sport mode where it is much louder. I suspect the Platinum model will be quieter

So far the aluminum F150 Limiteds (2016-2019) are only available with the 3.5 eco boost,

You are right, it is not a Limited. I just checked. Regular F-150 w/V8, 4x4 FX4 package.

The exhaust isnt louder, you are hearing the audio enhancement of engine noise through the speakers.

Can the audio enhancement be turned off?

Brian

Can the audio enhancement be turned off?

Brian
It's only active in Sport mode. I quickly scanned the Manual and the word "enhancement" only showed up twice. One regarding the audio and one regard stability control.
Perhaps it can be done with FORScan.

Peter

They should let owners program in what sounds they hear and when, like playing screaming and a SPLAT sound when backing up. :D

If it is only active in Sport mode than Forscan should be able to disable it. It should basically be an on/off change.. the question is, where is it burried.

Still no forscan experts have come out of the woodworks.

If I decide to put an aftermarket exhaust on, I would not want the speakers playing fake sound. But I do enjoy it with the stock exhaust.

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2018 Explorer Sport. I love the vehicle and realize that some road noise is part of this model.
Has anyone driven the new 2020 ST? Is the road noise heard from inside substantially less than the 2018 Sport? I thought I read somewhere that the 2020 Explorer is their quietest model ever inside.
I traded in a 2017 Explorer Sport for a 2020 Explorer ST in Read. ST is quieter and rides significantly better. Firm but very comfortable. The Intelligent 4 Wheel Drive is a major improvement in handling as the rear wheels that do most of the work push. Explorer Sport used more front wheel drive and steering would pull to one side on fast acceleration. All the new gizmos and features are awesome.

85712DD5-4861-4D6E-A675-100BC2249AF8.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Neil.:wave:
Wow. That's really red.

Peter

I can't compare the Sport, but I can compare my 2016 Platinum to it.

1) Noise - The engine noise is a lot louder at idle, there is a low rumble inside the 2020 ST even when in park. Much more interior noise than a 2018 F-150 Limited with the Coyote V8. On my 2016 Platinum you can barely hear the engine at idle. Noise while driving is comparable, unless you are in Sport mode where it is much louder. I suspect the Platinum model will be quieter.

2) Handling is improved, less body sway though feels comparable to my 2016 with the Steeda sway bar installed. No more torque steer under heavy acceleration.

3) Power - MUCH more torque on the 2020 ST. It is very noticeable. Brake and throttle are more sensitive. Throttle is particularly sensitive in Sport mode.

4) Steering - 2016 Platinum has a light steering feel, not sure about the Sport. 2020 ST has a much heavier steering feel to it.
========================

Hi all, my first post! I’ve owned my Atlas Blue ST for a bit over a month now and agree with everything Platinum owner has stated. I also have a 2012 Platinum F150, a very nice truck.

On my ST, the low rumble occurs in normal mode (all modes actually), so not part of the enhanced exhaust sound in sport mode. It occurs at idle, roughly around 650 rpm. The exhaust seems to couple and resonate with the cabin interior at that particular rpm, maybe at approximately 40 Hz. It also occurs at around 1300 rpm (2x the rpm), which appears to be a harmonic resonance. I hear this rumble at various speeds coinciding with these rpms and driving at those speeds, can seem to drone on and on. The Platinum F150 I have is considerably quieter (an eco boost).

I’ve taken a cheap Radio Shack sound level meter while driving the ST and the low level rumble at resonance dominates the sound pressure level. It would be 10 dB lower without the resonance.

As a result, I actually prefer using the Sport mode, as it holds higher rpms (generally higher than 1700 rpm), minimizing the low rumble. I do enjoy the sound of the exhaust during acceleration, just no so much the low rumble cruising at 45 mph. Don’t get me wrong, as I love driving it...it’s especially a blast to drive in Sport mode!

Do all of you ST owners hear this and is it just on ST’s (exhaust is different from other Explorers)?

Thanks,

Alan

Welcome to the Forum Alan.:wave:

Peter

========================

Hi all, my first post! I’ve owned my Atlas Blue ST for a bit over a month now and agree with everything Platinum owner has stated. I also have a 2012 Platinum F150, a very nice truck.

On my ST, the low rumble occurs in normal mode (all modes actually), so not part of the enhanced exhaust sound in sport mode. It occurs at idle, roughly around 650 rpm. The exhaust seems to couple and resonate with the cabin interior at that particular rpm, maybe at approximately 40 Hz. It also occurs at around 1300 rpm (2x the rpm), which appears to be a harmonic resonance. I hear this rumble at various speeds coinciding with these rpms and driving at those speeds, can seem to drone on and on. The Platinum F150 I have is considerably quieter (an eco boost).

I’ve taken a cheap Radio Shack sound level meter while driving the ST and the low level rumble at resonance dominates the sound pressure level. It would be 10 dB lower without the resonance.

As a result, I actually prefer using the Sport mode, as it holds higher rpms (generally higher than 1700 rpm), minimizing the low rumble. I do enjoy the sound of the exhaust during acceleration, just no so much the low rumble cruising at 45 mph. Don’t get me wrong, as I love driving it...it’s especially a blast to drive in Sport mode!

Do all of you ST owners hear this and is it just on ST’s (exhaust is different from other Explorers)?

Thanks,

Alan
First Post: I am leasing a 2020 ST (2 months) The only generation Explorer I didn't own or lease was the first. Last lease was 2017 Platinum. I noticed the same low rumble/droning noise as Alan. The only thing I can compare it to is driving a stick shift and needing to drop it in a lower gear. I love the ride, handling and acceleration. The ST is way fun to drive.

Welcome to the Forum Art.:wave:

Peter

Hello All,
I'm considering the purchase of a new explorer, and I've stumbled upon this forum.
This will be my daily driver, but it will also serve as a family vehicle for myself, wife, and baby daughter.

I am currently conflicted between the ST & the Platinum.
I am leaning towards the ST, mostly due to the preferred styling.

The only real concern I have is the noise issue.
Would the ST be a bit obnoxious noise-wise, compared with the Platinum?

Thanks,
Rick

Mine is very quiet inside. Obviously tire rotations and alignments are important to keep even wear. Road noise will be very present once the tires start to chop up being how low profile they are.

I throughly enjoy my ST and although a little more firm on the roads, it is to be expected from the performance model.

I love the blacked out front end over the Platinum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Rick.:wave:
If you haven't already done so, I suggest taking each one for a test drive before making your final decision. I think you will find the ride a little different between the two due to slightly different suspensions.

Peter

Back