Strange Grinding Sound at Slow Speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Grinding Sound at Slow Speed

trainingwheels

Reaction score
City, State
lansing
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
I'm experiencing a strange grinding sound that occurs only after a long drive (1 hr +) I think its on the left side of the truck (2004 Mounty 4.6 AWD). It occurs when I'm turning and sometimes when I'm taking off and always at slow speeds (4-5mph).....Don't know how to isolate it. Or what it is. Will check the CV boots and the Bearings this morning (when I've got some light) and report back.
  • Have a small leak in front Diff but keep the oil topped off it's never gone dry
  • Should I be aware of anything unique to this model (other than the trannys going out.....I think?)
  • I have no slipping in shifts
Thanks in advance and please let me know if I need to add any more info

Best

~TW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checked the Bearings and looked at the CV joint there is some wear around the boot but overall looks pretty good there.

BR,

~TW

I've heard lots of grinding noise, and it turns out to be wheel bearings on their way out. It may not be noticeable if you jack up the vehicle, grab the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock, and move it around, but that could mean it's just not that bad yet. But whenever I replace a wheel bearing, the grinding noise goes away.

I've heard lots of grinding noise, and it turns out to be wheel bearings on their way out. It may not be noticeable if you jack up the vehicle, grab the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock, and move it around, but that could mean it's just not that bad yet. But whenever I replace a wheel bearing, the grinding noise goes away.

That's what I'm hoping for...Something cheap! I gave it the 12 and 6 test and seemed pretty tight on the driverside. I'll check the passenger side in a bit.

BR,

~TW

I've had to replace all my bearings. I replaced the front ones myself with a hub assembly. I got the part at O'Reillys Auto (their store brand bearing hub assy) since I could borrow the tools I needed. Unfortunately, the right front one lasted only 15,300 miles. I just had to replace it recently, and went with Motorcraft parts this time since the factory originals lasted 100k miles. Then while looking at my right rear brakes, I noticed the right rear bearing needed replacing. I really didn't want to do the rears myself. I had it previously done at Les Schwab tires stores -- their bearing lasted 38,000 miles. This time I took it to Ford and they couldn't press the old bearing off, so I had to get a wrecking yard rear spindle, a new upper ball joint and the new bearing (Over $700.). And they used a Motorcraft bearing -- hopefully this will last. Good luck.

Back