• Register Today It's free!

Rear leaf springs question

Sporting2dr

Reaction score
City, State
fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explore sport 4.0l 4x4
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 2 door Sport 4 x 4. I'm needing to replace my rear leaf springs my question is will the four-door ones fit on the two-door ones. Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better to post in the 1995-01 (Gen 2) sub forum. 2002-05 four doors have four wheel independent suspension that don't have rear leaf springs. Unlike four door Explorers, TWO door Sports and 2001-05 Sport Tracs have rear leafs.

1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac
Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers
Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Here's just one post from the 1995-01 sub forum searching "Sport leaf springs" from the upper right custom search window. Good luck!
01 Explorer Sport with flat spings

@Sporting2dr

Welcome to the forum!

For your rear mono-leaf swap out, you'd probably want to go with Dayton 43967

You currently have Dayton 431183 (Single Leaf)

CLICK ON BLUE LINK: 2002 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Leaf Spring | RockAuto

Here's a 5% off Rock Auto Code: 11978037353839345

At checkout, insert the code into the box that asks "how did you hear about us?"

Hope that helps!

Better to post in the 1995-01 (Gen 2) sub forum. 2002-05 four doors have four wheel independent suspension that don't have rear leaf springs. Unlike four door Explorers, TWO door Sports and 2001-05 Sport Tracs have rear leafs.

1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac
Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers
Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Here's just one post from the 1995-01 sub forum searching "Sport leaf springs" from the upper right custom search window. Good luck!
01 Explorer Sport with flat spings
Thanks for the info I will have too do that

Good deal I appreciate it

@Sporting2dr,

No prob.

Check it out, in closing, there are many aftermarket parts for Ex's now that they're 20+ years old.

Quite a bit of the aftermarket parts are equal in quality, and many are better in quality than the original factory part.
And, just like anything, there is also some junk you need to steer clear of.

With regards to springs, which is essentially a commodity (steel) - you get what you pay for.

Dayton is an OEM / Tier 1 Manufacturer; they use Made in USA sourced steel to manufacturer their spring packs.

The discount springs are made in China and Thailand.

Hope that helps - heck, do a write up w/ pics!

@Sporting2dr,

No prob.

Check it out, in closing, there are many aftermarket parts for Ex's now that they're 20+ years old.

Quite a bit of the aftermarket parts are equal in quality, and many are better in quality than the original factory part.
And, just like anything, there is also some junk you need to steer clear of.

With regards to springs, which is essentially a commodity (steel) - you get what you pay for.

Dayton is an OEM / Tier 1 Manufacturer; they use Made in USA sourced steel to manufacturer their spring packs.

The discount springs are made in China and Thailand.

Hope that helps - heck, do a write up w/ pics!
I thank you for taking time and all the good info. I have done quite a few things to the truck since I bought it last year I put a pre Oiler. I changed all the timing chains cassettes gaskets oil pump water pump hub bearings. I've tried to upload pics on here I seem to have a problem with it as I can only Post in certain areas of the site. But when I do the leaf springs this week or weekend I will try again. Thanks again

I thank you for taking time and all the good info. I have done quite a few things to the truck since I bought it last year I put a pre Oiler. I changed all the timing chains cassettes gaskets oil pump water pump hub bearings. I've tried to upload pics on here I seem to have a problem with it as I can only Post in certain areas of the site. But when I do the leaf springs this week or weekend I will try again. Thanks again

Upload your pics to imgru (it's free) and then select a pic and use the bbcode copy to be able to paste pics in your posts, or pay the $20 to become an "Elite Explorer" on the forum.

Back