List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 57 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Denis. It is basically the same as the one that came out just over 3 years ago except as indicated it is a carryover to include new model. Here is the one posted in the TSB thread on June 11, 2016 which superseded a previous one. List of Useful Threads - 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's
It was also mentioned in post #651.

Peter

Someone in one of the Facebook groups said there was a clause somewhere regarding the aluminum and the perforation statement in the warranty to help those that need it done under the 5yr and aren't 2016 model year like me with a '15 Limited. Any info on this?

I'm not aware of any such "clause" but that doesn't mean there isn't one. As far as I know, the Warranty Guide lays out the warranty provisions for each model year. I have not seen any additions/revisions. Should there be one, this "someone" should provide the info or where it can be found.

Peter

I hate Fords loophole with the perforation statement when they know Aluminum will not perforate.....what is preventing my '15 Limited to get fixed.

The 2016+ Warranty Guide addresses both the "perforation" and the aluminum panel "corrosion". Unfortunately, it's the latter part that is not in your Warranty Guide and prevents your Explorer from getting fixed under the warranty coverage.

Peter

I just got my 2018 Explorer back from Ford for rectification of the paint bubbling issue. As a refresher, I had bubbling on the lip of my hood at around 20k miles/1.5 years of age. Ford had approved hood replacement, but there was a month-long delay in getting a replacement hood. They took the car Monday and returned it today after subbing out the paint job to a local body shop. Car looks fine, no concerns about the new hood or paint. Hopefully, it won’t bubble again. Ford did provide a rental car for the four days the vehicle was in the shop.

As an aside, the new hood deflects/wobbles a LOT less than my original hood. I don’t think they revised the part, so I’m assuming my original had some sort of issue.

...................As an aside, the new hood deflects/wobbles a LOT less than my original hood. I don’t think they revised the part, so I’m assuming my original had some sort of issue.
I could have been an issue with the adhesive on the old hood. See the picture in this post; Explorer hood vibrates

Peter

This just showed up on my 17.

Sad that it has gone on for 15+ years.

Just got my 2017 back from the dealer. They found a bubble in the clear coat when it came back, and sent it back to the body shop. New hood after 4 days. Mud on the driver's side door sill, 82 Kilometres to drive across the street twice and the Explorer smelt of Shawarma and cigarettes...
Waiting to hear back from them.

Had my 2016 Sport in at the dealer last Monday for the rear toe-link recall, and I had them take a look at the hood. I have 5-6 decent size bubbles now, nothing flaked off yet though. They said they would need to take a few pics and send to Ford for approval. I called back to check a few days later and they reported that Ford approved and a new unpainted hood is on the way. So if I can make sure that the body shop matches the paint right, I'll be a happy camper. Getting the amount and distribution of the metal flake right in the Ruby Red is tough.

Had my 2016 Sport in at the dealer last Monday for the rear toe-link recall, and I had them take a look at the hood. I have 5-6 decent size bubbles now, nothing flaked off yet though. They said they would need to take a few pics and send to Ford for approval. I called back to check a few days later and they reported that Ford approved and a new unpainted hood is on the way. So if I can make sure that the body shop matches the paint right, I'll be a happy camper. Getting the amount and distribution of the metal flake right in the Ruby Red is tough.

Good to hear! I had my 2014 hood repainted a couple of months after I bought it used as a CPO in 2017. Of course now it's more understood that the entire hood needs to be replaced, and consistent with that, the bubbles have reappeared on my hood. I'm wondering if Ford will do anything for me at this point.

Good to hear! I had my 2014 hood repainted a couple of months after I bought it used as a CPO in 2017. Of course now it's more understood that the entire hood needs to be replaced, and consistent with that, the bubbles have reappeared on my hood. I'm wondering if Ford will do anything for me at this point.

5yr unlimited mile warranty.

As blwnsmoke posted, you have a 5 year, unlimited warranty on that. Check your Warranty Guide brochure.

Peter

I had mine in for collision repair of drivers front fender and noticed the bubbling. Asked about at during check in, and dropped off. I got a call yesterday that the warranty claim was approved and new hood was already enroute. They are taking care of the hood, front fender and front bumper all during same visit. Cool, saves me another visit and since no rental I am using my other vehicle....Slumming in a 2012 Audi A6 Premium Plus V6 Quattro...

The service advisor that I'm working with just submitted pictures of the bubbling to Ford today. I'm hopeful they will replace the hood and make this right since the warranty text mentions "perforation" and not "aluminum corrosion."

The service advisor that I'm working with just submitted pictures of the bubbling to Ford today. I'm hopeful they will replace the hood and make this right since the warranty text mentions "perforation" and not "aluminum corrosion."
I think you are out of luck. The Warranty Guide only began mentioning the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty for aluminum panels beginning with the 2016+ Explorers.

Peter

I think you are out of luck. The Warranty Guide only began mentioning the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty for aluminum panels beginning with the 2016+ Explorers.

Peter

Yeah, I'm hoping that Ford will realize they need to make this right, since the hood should have been replaced completely back in 2017, but instead they decided to just repaint it. At the time the dealership was replacing hoods on PIUs, but Ford only authorized a repaint on mine. Not sure what was up with that.

Also, I paid a premium for this vehicle, as it's a CPO. That should mean something to Ford, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Ford will realize they need to make this right, since the hood should have been replaced completely back in 2017, but instead they decided to just repaint it. At the time the dealership was replacing hoods on PIUs, but Ford only authorized a repaint on mine. Not sure what was up with that.

Also, I paid a premium for this vehicle, as it's a CPO. That should mean something to Ford, but I'm not holding my breath.

CPO really doesnt mean much. A LITTLE better warranty but that is all.. and paint is not covered under CPO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All

Just want to chime in on my experience getting the hood replaced for a 16 Sport.
I've been waiting since June of this year to get my hood replaced here in Toronto. I was told that hoods were on back order. Not sure if this is true, but I gave the dealership the benefit of the doubt.

Dropped off off the vehicle this morning and pick it up this afternoon.

Well... Walking up to the dealership, my vehicle was outside .I first noticed that the Explorer hood emblem was missing. A closer look at the hood, I noticed that the painter did not do a good job matching the flake for Absolute Black.

At the service counter I ask why is the hood emblem not installed. Was told that Ford Canada does not cover is, as for the corrosion issue. If I have an issue with this, I should contact Ford Canada. I also noted that the paint is not a perfect match. Their response was that paint fades over time. Well, the dealership I choose is defiantly lacks any reasonable customer service and insults my intelligence, but choose to use them due to convenience.

Get home and on the phone with Ford customer service. 20 minutes on the phone and I'm told that someone will need to get back to me within the next 24 hours. Further inspection of the hood, I notice that there are paint drips on the edges of the hood over the driver and passenger headlights and there is alot of overspray under the hood. This is very unfortunate, as the paint finish is better than the factory finish.

Non the less, I'll be contacting the dealership tomorrow about the paint drips.

Has anyone had this issue with the hood emblem not being replaced?

hood2.jpg
hood3.jpg

Back