RJ's B2 Build | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RJ's B2 Build

I started building my second RBV, a Bronco ii.

This thread is to post about and document the work done to the car, so it can help others that are building a b2 or ranger based vehicle. This is actually my second build thread about this rig, the first one was accidentally deleted.

I picked up this 1990 bronco ii in august of 2016. It's an automatic, 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition, that was already spray painted green when I bought it. But it had what I wanted, cruise control, factory a/c, electric Windows and locks, (although none that stuff worked, it was there for the fixin') and it was a fair price for a b2 with decent interior..... Almost none of the other ones on Craigslist had a good interior, or they wanted way too much money.

wp_ss_20171206_0005.png

So why build another 4x4 when i already have a built up explorer/Navajo?
Well this one just has a different vision for it. I don't plan for this one to be big and crazy and an all out dedicated trail rig. At least not for a few years. I want this car to be capable off road, but retain as much road manners as possible. Almost more like an overlanding vehicle. I want to be able to drive it long distances, use it for camping and mountain biking, and for four wheeling, but not something that needs a trailer.

So I want to keep the lift to a minimum, keep things relatively simple. Put some 33's, trim the fenders, some lockers, and just keep fine tuning everything as I go along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can buy the brackets on Facebook last I checked (couple of years now)
Solo motorsports I think it is also sells the brackets? Basically the D35 ttb pivot points need to move 1" and then you can bolt in the D44 beams.
Some existing brackets can be modified
I agree the D44 knuckles are far superior, WAY better wheel bearing spacing = a nice upgrade.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

oooooooh la la!! That is how the old Warn fix it kit was made.
First I have seen of those thanks Stic-O!!

Those are what I’m trying next. I hate the Stage 8 kit I have now.

Been a while since I've posted. Nothing new on the rig. It's been out on the trails here and there this year. It's still running and driving good. Been riding bikes a lot, so that's been my main hobby instead of the bronco.

I know when people go MIA for a while you might wonder if they fell out of the hobby or sold their rig. Well, selling is starting to cross my mind. It's become a second car that I hardly drive and rarely take out. Thinking about building something newer, something with 4 doors. Similar to what is popular with all the Tacoma's nowadays. But a Tacoma is over my budget. Sport Trac? Maybe.

Anyways, in keeping it for now. Want to do some difficult trials while I have it, and want to do the Rubicon trail with it too. But the next year or so I might replace it. I'll see how things go, life has been crazy and still is.

If you know me personally, you probably know I've been dealing with cancer for the last few years.... Well it's showing back up again in my MRI scans. So I'll be starting chemo again pretty soon. So that's no fun. When I'm healthy I like to buy things. When I'm sick I like to sell things. So that's part of the reason. But I may work on the car more during this time instead of BMX. Hopefully I'll be doing both still.

Here's some photos from the last couple times it's been out

D88EF158-BF1D-4C49-9F10-DB8DBAB956CF.jpeg

8B68D817-4FB0-44C6-9FEC-39D3FF31999E.jpeg

6ED21ED7-5460-4872-A88F-2DFA1785AE18.jpeg

View attachment 175133

8534741C-6BA8-4497-A694-732CC475AD63.jpeg

That sucks. I thought you had it beat into submission. Don't sell the BII. Whenever you feel like selling, send me a text and we will go on a day run.

I can't buy this too.... I haven't finished the last one I bought of yours:p

Sorry to hear the cancer is coming back ....again, but stay strong and keep fighting it:thumbsup:

Not the update I was hoping for! I'll keep you posted on any upcoming trips this winter, and heading back to the Rubicon is also still on my list for next year.

FU%& Cancer!!!

Ever thought about trying RSO? Rick Simpsons Oil?
We have cured some serious melanoma with it and a retired vet friend of ours had Lupus, melanoma on my stepsons head and foot is gone, Lupus was beat with RSO also.
I have personally see it work its magic on cancer in the past otherwise I would not bring up the alternative medicine. Some believe RSO / CBD/ THC can cure many forms of cancer and when you see it work with your own eyes you want to tell everyone, so I don't hold back.

Sport tracs are cool.
Rangers have 4 doors also
I hear your dilema I have been there many times with my BII
Always wanted to ditch the BII and put the parts on a sport instead, little longer, little wider, more cargo room, better wheel base for 4x4ing trails, etc. But then the 4 door ranger cab came out and the sport trac....I would love to have 4 doors! However I just refreshed my entire BII (fixed all rust) and I'm starting to fall in love again. The BII has better body lines and classic looks I just cant get away from.......whatever you decide do it later. First you gotta whip that cancer. We are all pulling for you!

:(

Thanks guys

That sucks. I thought you had it beat into submission. Don't sell the BII. Whenever you feel like selling, send me a text and we will go on a day run.

I was clear for a little while, but it's persistent.

I can't buy this too.... I haven't finished the last one I bought of yours:p

Sorry to hear the cancer is coming back ....again, but stay strong and keep fighting it:thumbsup:

Thanks Steve. I'll do what I can to kick it's butt

Not the update I was hoping for! I'll keep you posted on any upcoming trips this winter, and heading back to the Rubicon is also still on my list for next year.

Not the news anyone was hoping for

FU%& Cancer!!!

Ever thought about trying RSO? Rick Simpsons Oil?
We have cured some serious melanoma with it and a retired vet friend of ours had Lupus, melanoma on my stepsons head and foot is gone, Lupus was beat with RSO also.
I have personally see it work its magic on cancer in the past otherwise I would not bring up the alternative medicine. Some believe RSO / CBD/ THC can cure many forms of cancer and when you see it work with your own eyes you want to tell everyone, so I don't hold back.

Sport tracs are cool.
Rangers have 4 doors also
I hear your dilema I have been there many times with my BII
Always wanted to ditch the BII and put the parts on a sport instead, little longer, little wider, more cargo room, better wheel base for 4x4ing trails, etc. But then the 4 door ranger cab came out and the sport trac....I would love to have 4 doors! However I just refreshed my entire BII (fixed all rust) and I'm starting to fall in love again. The BII has better body lines and classic looks I just cant get away from.......whatever you decide do it later. First you gotta whip that cancer. We are all pulling for you!

I'll have to look into the RSO stuff. Haven't heard of it. Good to hear people have had good results with it. Thanks.

Rangers are ok. Wheel base is pretty long. A TTB ranger would cool because I could swap the B2 parts onto it. But if I'm gonna replace the B2 then I want to go newer. 2019 ranger crew cab would be awesome......... But not in my budget :laugh:

Sad to here the cancer is back. Will be praying for you.

Thanks Matt, much appreciated.

When/if I sell the B2, it would only be sold to be replaced. I'll still have a 4x4 and go out on runs, but it might not be a Ford.

But for now, I still have the bronco, it's ready to go out and hit any trail, and I don't think it would be let go anytime soon. But as I look at the future, and think about what makes sense for my life and how often I actually off-road. I have a few cars right now and the bronco sits collecting dust most of the time. Still runs good, off roads great, and can drive it to and from the trail easily. So knowing that it might be replaced, I won't put too much money into it. I might replace the tires, go to 35's, and that would be the last big purchase unless I have a change of heart. I have a ton of stuff at the house that I haven't installed on it yet so I'll still be working on the parts I already bought (body mounts, different springs, axle brackets, steering system, coil buckets, 4.0 motor) and like I said, probably buy some 35's this next year. Cause I just want to see it on 35's. Just like 410fortune, I love the way it looks too! And I think it will look awesome on some bigger, brand new treads!

So... I'll fight the cancer and let's plan a Rubicon trip :D :burnout:

Brian just took some 35 "KM2s off his..
Hint hint;)

Brian just took some 35 "KM2s off his..
Hint hint;)

Actually, I'm looking at buying the same tires he bought. 4wparts has them on sale right now for $188 a tire 35x12.5r15. very tempting

If you've been on this forum for a while, then you already know what happens when someone doesn't post for a long time..... They sell their rigs. And that's me now.

Yup, gonna be phasing out the bronco ii and selling it after building up my current project, a Toyota 4runner.

Sorry guys. I never wanted to turn to Toyota but they make a good tool for the job. In my case, a daily driver 4x4
0CEC952B-01AA-4A07-96C4-A9575FE3CB84.jpeg

It's hard to argue against Toyotas. I'd probably go that route if I were starting fresh too.

What happened to the Nissan?

Sorry to hear about the sale, but I'm sure you will enjoy the 'yota.

Back